Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Relief Pitchers

Seriously...you are just trolling.

All I'm doing is asking a question. Why is it that you get defensive if anyone questions something you post?

I'm just trying to understand where you were going with this thread.

Yes....and for the record, I hate the concept of a singular "closer". It makes much more sense to me for teams to bring in relief pitchers based on match-ups and strengths as opposed to one guy who's expected to pitch the entire inning regardless of who's due up.

But the rise of the position and the marketing of several closers over the last 20 years has me thinking it might have some impact on the next generation of pitchers.

Anyway, I don't want to feel like I'm derailing this thread, so carry on.

About 20% of all closers are "elite". The difference between an "elite" closer and an "average" closer is only about 1-2 saves a year (maybe even 3). That is it.

Throughout his career, Brad Lidge had some great seasons, but I wouldn't call him an elite closer. Starters can easily go 10-15 years. Closers are lucky to still be relevant after 10, unless they are elite.

All I'm doing is asking a question. Why is it that you get defensive if anyone questions something you post?

I'm just trying to understand where you were going with this thread.

Why is it that I am the only one you ask questions? Hmmm....

About 20% of all closers are "elite". The difference between an "elite" closer and an "average" closer is only about 1-2 saves a year (maybe even 3). That is it.

Throughout his career, Brad Lidge had some great seasons, but I wouldn't call him an elite closer. Starters can easily go 10-15 years. Closers are lucky to still be relevant after 10, unless they are elite.

Ok?

All I'm trying to say is that I don't think it would be extremely uncommon to find young baseball players/fans that want to be closers.

He also didn't grow up in an era where closers were common, with several being labeled as "stars".

Think of young players just getting into the majors now, many of them were born in the early 90s. When they start learning and watching baseball (mid-late 90s), closers are on every team with many being portrayed as stars in the league. Guys like Rivera, Hoffman, Wagner, K-Rod, etc.

The importance of the late-inning "firemen" as they were called in the 70s and 80s was as valuable then (more so) than the "closers" of today, even though the present save rule goes back to 1975. Guys like Hiller, Fingers, McGraw, Lyle, Marshall, Quisenberry, Teckulve, Eastwick, Righetti, Bedrosian ... they were recognized as much as present-day "closers."

And someday managers will figure out (once again) that the best time to bring in your best pen-man is not always, or even usually, with a lead in the ninth inning. So many "closers" are wasted "closing" rather than affecting a game earlier and perhaps avoiding the need for "saving" the game in the ninth inning. And the sad truth is that the Tigers do not have "that" pitcher, IMO.

Imo, use your best RP to pitch as many innings as possible. The old days of 130-150 innings pitched in the BP was the best.

Imo, use your best RP to pitch as many innings as possible. The old days of 130-150 innings pitched in the BP was the best.

I wish we had that bullpen from 84. Aurelio Lopez and Willie Hernandez eating up 280 innings lol

Back