Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers call up outfielder J.D. Martinez from Triple-A Toledo

Off AAA pitching. Lots of player exhibit monster numbers vs. AAA pitching but can't hit MLB pitching.

Not saying he can't or won't, but all that glitters is not gold.

oh no doubt. If Leyland was still here, he'd have him starting the 1st game 1n the 2 hole. lol

Didn't he get good time in Houston on the ML club where he was just average..

Well yeah what makes you think he does..

The .342 12 49 line he put up in the first half of 2010, with a 21/47 BB/K ratio. His problem is when he started to struggle, he swung at everything to try to break out. He also had a .799 OPS in 2011, which is above average. He has the ability, just not the mental make up. I'd consider him and J.D. very similar to this point of their MLB careers. Some players have the talent but not the ability to make adjustments.

For the record, Martinez was on the same winter ball team as Alex Gonzalez, that team was managed by Omar Vizquel. Looks like another player Vizquel has vouched for.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Career Away

Raburn (995 PA) .269 BAVG .328 OBP .447 SLG .775 OPS 14.8 PA/BB 29.5 PA/HR

Martinez (492 PA) .256 BAVG .308 OBP .389 SLG .697 OPS 15.3 PA/BB 41.0 PA/HR

Boesch (754 PA) .249 BAVG .298 OBP .384 SLG .682 OPS 17.5 PA/BB 41.9 PA/HR

The .342 12 49 line he put up in the first half of 2010, with a 21/47 BB/K ratio. His problem is when he started to struggle, he swung at everything to try to break out. He also had a .799 OPS in 2011, which is above average. He has the ability, just not the mental make up. I'd consider him and J.D. very similar to this point of their MLB careers. Some players have the talent but not the ability to make adjustments.

Like Boesch..DD is just trying to shake it up a bit. I don't expect anything from this guy..

He hit the longest homer(464 ft) last season in Comerica park. Actually hit it off Max. Shit, Rod is gonna break out the "country strong" nickname again.

Gotcha, figured you and sbee were referring to them both mashing minor leagues, but flaming out in the bigs.

Just guys who put up sick as a numbers, Hessman was older when he was in our system though

All this talk of Martinez's "restructured" swing makes me consider that the Tigers give this guy 300 PAs in short order to see if he's any better.

Back