Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

New posters from espn and state of the Tigers board

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
I have been throwing this around, thinking of posting something since the espn message boards are closing down, and to facebook posts only. After reading something in a new thread, I think it is a perfect time...

Several of the remaining 5 to 10% of those that stayed at espn instead of joining the rest of us initially at Monsters board, and now here, have joined up with us at our Detroit Sports Forum.
A number of MSU Spartans fans, and many new Tigers posters from the Tigers board.

I would really like to see discussions, and not 'hardcore' name calling at fellow posters. When these boards started, I asked for us to be able to use 'words' we couldn't use at espn towards opposing teams/players, as well as Tigers players.
It has worked out ok with just a couple of problems, sometimes frustration sets in with the way the team plays and stuff gets posted in anger, I get it.

Last year, brought to my attention, the profanity bothered a few, and I said it would be difficult and unfair to take away something given to use, personally I tried to cut it out and shorten the words I used with an apostrophe' between two letters.

A couple of times, from last year to now, the personal attacks to a poster here from another poster got too heated, and I intervened. That is what I will do always, when it becomes a distraction to other posters here, that aren't part of any problem or drama between a couple or a few. It makes for an uncomfortable situation, as it developed 2/3 weeks ago, when I posted in a thread with two posters turning a thread into a bait/anger session.
There are a number of posters I talk with via phone, email/gmail or the inbox here.
I have said this before and it's the truth; we have alot of freedoms here 'plural', that other sites 'national' or Tigers sites/blogs do not allow, in the way of swearing at players or teams or angry replies to other posters.

Using the position I have here as Moderator, I want all to have freedoms that we didn't have at espn, or any other message board they have tried out.

There is a limit though, and that is making a new poster feel unwelcome, such as what I read with a post in a new thread in the last 24 hours here, and the reason for posting all of this now.
What went on at espn, from him would be dealt with if those types of accusations started here. But it isn't necessary to insult anyone before any actions.

The swearing isn't too bad. I suspect most aren't bothered by it. Calling someone an idiot or flat out say **** you to someone, you know who you are - can get bad at times. The mods had more things we could do when it was just Monster's board, like giving a temp ban for 1 day 3 days or longer. I think it was effective.

Now we have to inform the Illusive Man (Admin). He listens and acts but it takes time. I've done it when its got bad but let some things slide. Saying someone sucks in a humorous tone might get a pass but if I see someone attack another I'll do my best to get that person banned.

Good post KC.

Last edited:
I personally am glad that the ESPN boards finally shut down and we can all gather in one place now. I hope it will spark discussions in the Lions and Red Wings boards as well. I'm proud that our (Michigan teams) fan base has a forum that seems to be exclusive to us. I don't know of any other spots like this for fans of other teams.

I have never been one to slam, berate, or name call fans of my team. This should be a brotherhood. I think we all want the same thing: to see our team do well. If we just remember to unite in this common interest, the unfortunate hateful discussions should subside naturally.

I shall insert the word "sisterhood" into that sentence as well, although I don't know of any females that post here. And why not!? Come over, ladies! :)

I personally am glad that the ESPN boards finally shut down and we can all gather in one place now. I hope it will spark discussions in the Lions and Red Wings boards as well. I'm proud that our (Michigan teams) fan base has a forum that seems to be exclusive to us. I don't know of any other spots like this for fans of other teams.

I have never been one to slam, berate, or name call fans of my team. This should be a brotherhood. I think we all want the same thing: to see our team do well. If we just remember to unite in this common interest, the unfortunate hateful discussions should subside naturally.
I shall insert the word "sisterhood" into that sentence as well, although I don't know of any females that post here. And why not!? Come over, ladies!

Old friend from espn Higgyfan and a new member FielderBombsTina are 2 lady Tigers fans I know.

Many if not most fanbases do, and some have many forums, especially the ballclubs with a huge fanbase ie....Yankees, Cubs, and Red Sox. The Twins fans who formerly posted on their ESPN board started a forum right after the Oct '06 reformat but I can't seem to recall its name right now. (I read Minnesota sports fan TROLPO's posts/replies on it b/c they were hilarious).

Many if not most fanbases do, and some have many forums, especially the ballclubs with a huge fanbase ie....Yankees, Cubs, and Red Sox. The Twins fans who formerly posted on their ESPN board started a forum right after the Oct '06 reformat but I can't seem to recall its name right now. (I read Minnesota sports fan TROLPO's posts/replies on it b/c they were hilarious).

I think you're thinking of smootsmacktalk, he knew his stuff

I think you're thinking of smootsmacktalk, he knew his stuff

I remember smoot, but TROLPO always posted in all-caps, and he was long gone by the time that smoot began to regularly visit and post on our Tigers board.

Trolpo had me in tears

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

trolpo had me in tears

sent from my samsung-sgh-i747 using tapatalk 2

TROLPOISM #2392: YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER BUT YOU CANT MAKE RICKY DAVIS STOP SHOOTING THE BALL

YOUR WELCOMBED

(Davis must be or was a Timberwolf, since TROLPO is/was a rabid Minnesota sports fan)

Last post by TROLPO that I have found so far by searching online, from 09/28/09:

ARE YOU IMPLYING THAT I AM A TROLL? I AM NO TROLL. i AM AN ELF.

ELVES CAN BE VERY HELPFUL AND THEY ARE SMART AS LONG AS YOU TREAT THEM WITH 73% OF THE RESPECT YOU'D EXPECT FROM OTHERS. SOMETIMES THE ELVES CAN EVEN MORPH INTO A HUMAN. FEW OF YOU REALIZE THAT ELVES HAVE PLAYED FOR YOUR FAVORITE BASEBALL TEAM THE MINNESOTA TWINS. THOSE PLAYERS WOULD INCLUDE JUNIOR ORTIZ,DAN MASTELLER,LENNY WEBSTER,MIKE PAGLIARULO,JERALD CLARK AND KEVIN MASS.

YEAH

http://2ww.goallineblitz.com/game/forum_thread.pl?thread_id=3300579

If I am not mistaken, the last name that TROLPO listed above was spelled Kevin Maas, not Mass

Last edited:
Smoot was a great poster wish he was here.

His name IRL was Corey Ettinger, he co-blogged with a current member of DSF being tigersofjustice (Colin McLaughlin):

Corey:

http://www.blogger.com/profile/04781991198791295874

Colin:

http://www.blogger.com/profile/06919948517731839742

AL Central In Focus weblog (inactive since March '12):

http://centralinfocus.blogspot.com/

Dunno what happened to Corey, I seem to vaguely remember that he took an assignment to cover developing players in Central America (Dominican Republic or Puerto Rico) but not certain. One thing is that he hasn't ever visited or registered here on DSF, AFAIK.

Last edited:
Back