Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lineup suggestions

Thundercats

I think most of us disagree at least a little with the batting order. If Torii is going to display some of his old power, I'd say he would be better off in the 5 hole, with Jackson's gap and on-base capabilities better suited for the 2 spot. Here is my best scenario.

Kinsler
Jackson
Cabrera
Martinez
Hunter
Castellanos
Avila
Davis/Collins
Gonzalez/Romine

If I had one change it would be no not have our rookie 3B to have so many days of..

But I do like AJ at 5 rather than two. If he is that gap guy, what's better than following our two best offensive guys.

I think most of us disagree at least a little with the batting order. If Torii is going to display some of his old power, I'd say he would be better off in the 5 hole, with Jackson's gap and on-base capabilities better suited for the 2 spot. Here is my best scenario.

Kinsler
Jackson
Cabrera
Martinez
Hunter
Castellanos
Avila
Davis/Collins
Gonzalez/Romine

I think Jackson may feel more comfortable down in the lineup. Maybe he puts too much pressure on himself at the top of the order. I say leave it alone.

I like hunter 2, Jackson 5th, and Davis 9th. And Gonzalez gone.

I think Bossmus is getting a feel for the players at the top of the order with Davis/Kinsler.
The NL games he is playing Victor and that drops Miggy to cleanup,

I think Jackson is and has found a comfort level batting 5th, less stress than having to leadoff.
The kid should bat 6th or 7th, flip with Avila depending on the pitching matchup.

Last edited:
I am a not a traditionalist when it comes to a lineup. I am all for Cabrera leading off, with Martinez and/or Castellanos hitting 2nd and/or 3rd.

I am a not a traditionalist when it comes to a lineup. I am all for Cabrera leading off, with Martinez and/or Castellanos hitting 2nd and/or 3rd.

Kev, Are you going by obp for that non-tradional type lineup?

The reds have had Votto batting 2nd alot iirc.

Kev, Are you going by obp for that non-tradional type lineup?

The reds have had Votto batting 2nd alot iirc.

To a certain extent, yes. I subscribe you start with your best hitter and work your way down the lineup. I would also alter it according to the pitcher.

OBP versus RHP last 3 years (total stats)

Cabrera .415 OBP

Fielder .413 OBP

Martinez .380 OBP

Avila .378 OBP

Romine .357 OBP

Castellanos .348 OBP

Collins .343 OBP

A. Jackson .343 OBP

A. Dirks .333 OBP

Peralta .332 OBP

Lombardozzi .330 OBP

Hunter .330 OBP

A. Garcia .326 OBP

Kinsler .324 OBP

Worth .321 OBP

Holaday .321 OBP

Infante .317 OBP

D. Kelly .300 OBP

Santiago .300 OBP

Iglesias .300 OBP

B. Pena .293 OBP

A. Gonzalez .270 OBP

R. Davis .269 OBP

Hypothetical lineup versus RHP.

1. Cabrera 1B
2. Avila C
3. Martinez DH
4. Castellanos 3B
5. Collins LF
6. Jackson CF
7. Hunter RF
8. Kinsler 2B
9. Romine SS

Hypothetical lineup versus RHP.

1. Cabrera 1B
2. Avila C
3. Martinez DH
4. Castellanos 3B
5. Collins LF
6. Jackson CF
7. Hunter RF
8. Kinsler 2B
9. Romine SS

I want to laugh at you but since you use actual reason for your suggestion and my skepticism is based solely on what I know (not very much)...I won't. :cheers:

If I had one change it would be no not have our rookie 3B to have so many days of..

But I do like AJ at 5 rather than two. If he is that gap guy, what's better than following our two best offensive guys.

The only problem of having AJ batting 5th. Is the speed gap guy is behind two station to station guys Cabrera slow and V-Mart not much better.

the only problem with that is you guarantee that Miggy hits with the bases empty once a game and the worst OBP guys hit before him for the rest of the game. I understand that you want to have your best OBP guy start the game but I think it hurts you when your best extra base guy is hitting with fewer men on base.

the only problem with that is you guarantee that Miggy hits with the bases empty once a game and the worst OBP guys hit before him for the rest of the game. I understand that you want to have your best OBP guy start the game but I think it hurts you when your best extra base guy is hitting with fewer men on base.

So, in my order, Hunter, Kinsler and Romine hit in front of Cabrera. How is this any different than today's lineup of Davis, Kinsler and Hunter?

Computer simulations have proved batting order is optimized best by OBP/OBA

Here are some readings:

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

http://www.pankin.com/markov/btn1191.htm

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~raj/writing/BattingOrder.html

Last edited:
So, in my order, Hunter, Kinsler and Romine hit in front of Cabrera. How is this any different than today's lineup of Davis, Kinsler and Hunter?

Computer simulations have proved batting order is optimized best by OBP/OBA

Here are some readings:

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by

http://www.pankin.com/markov/btn1191.htm

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~raj/writing/BattingOrder.html

I hear what you are saying and understand it but I think the flaw in the system is they treat all OBP equally. There are other factors to consider...power numbers, how often does a player score when someone gets a hit behind him, HR rate

I hear what you are saying and understand it but I think the flaw in the system is they treat all OBP equally. There are other factors to consider...power numbers, how often does a player score when someone gets a hit behind him, HR rate

Exactly and you always have to figure in guys athleticism and ability to run and steal bases as well. I don't want Miggy coming up to a nobody on situation when you can potentially have 2 or 3 on before he hits the big fly.

Back