Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers call up outfielder J.D. Martinez from Triple-A Toledo

Putkonen to the DL with right elbow inflammation is the corresponding move. Dirks was moved to the 60-day DL to clear space on the 40-man for Martinez.

Last edited:
I was hoping so too, but no such luck. This would at least explain LuPu's outing the other day, and apparently he had reduced velocity too.

Makes sense. From the little he's pitched he didn't seem to have it all together that last outing.

Few things I noticed looking at Martinez AAA stats so far. 17K's - 26% strike out rate. Only 3 walks in 65 AB's. All off AAA pitching. And if he comes up and sits a few games what's the point? I'm thinking he will be in the lineup considering they face a slew of LHP the next few days. But then what to do with Rajai? Does Victor catch a game or 2 so one of them can DH?

Last edited:
My guess is that they want him for a power bat off the bench, which we dont have and he's useful for. I doubt he'll get many starts.

Martinez has a chance to be a good big league player. Solid Power and speed with a good arm in the outfield. Nothing more than a role player on this team, but I look at him as sort of a RH Brennan Boesch. He could be a great hitter if he didn't live inside his own head so much.

Martinez has a chance to be a good big league player. Solid Power and speed with a good arm in the outfield. Nothing more than a role player on this team, but I look at him as sort of a RH Brennan Boesch. He could be a great hitter if he didn't live inside his own head so much.

he can't be both of those things.

I'm not gonna go that path and name a career minor leaguer for comparison. He made some adjustments to his swing after last season and had a really good winter league in Venezuela and has continued that hot bat into the Toledo season. I could see him turning into a Marcus Thames type player and I would take Marcus Thames in a heartbeat for this team.

Let's see what he's got before putting the career minor league tag on him.

I was referring to the last player that was having a HOT start in Toledo and got called up. Small sample sizes can be misleading.

Last edited:
Martinez's career .136 ISO does not suggest he's a power hitter, in spite of his 10 HRs. He doesn't walk, Ks a ton. A perfect addition to the Tigers' lineup.

Martinez's career .136 ISO does not suggest he's a power hitter, in spite of his 10 HRs. He doesn't walk, Ks a ton. A perfect addition to the Tigers' lineup.

Exactly. Aside from the fact he is a righthanded hitter. This team needs a lefty, not another righty.

I was referring to the last player that was having a HOT start in Toledo and got called up. Small sample sizes can be misleading.

Gotcha, figured you and sbee were referring to them both mashing minor leagues, but flaming out in the bigs.

Martinez, who signed a minor league contract with the Tigers in late March, hit four home runs and drove in seven runs as part of the Mud Hens' day-night doubleheader sweep Saturday. He has 10 home runs and 22 RBIs in 65 at-bats for Toledo. He's averaging a homer in every 6.5 at-bats.

Martinez, who signed a minor league contract with the Tigers in late March, hit four home runs and drove in seven runs as part of the Mud Hens' day-night doubleheader sweep Saturday. He has 10 home runs and 22 RBIs in 65 at-bats for Toledo. He's averaging a homer in every 6.5 at-bats.

Off AAA pitching. Lots of player exhibit monster numbers vs. AAA pitching but can't hit MLB pitching.

Not saying he can't or won't, but all that glitters is not gold.

Back