Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. White Sox Game Thread, April 22

Only 1 game, but man could this be Avila turning things around?

Avila 8 of his last 21 AB, .381 BAVG with 2 BB (.435 OBP). The art of small sample sizes.

As shaky as JV has looked at times this year, here his is about to go 3-1 in his first 5 starts with an ERA under 2.00.

It is more than 1 game, it is that last 7.

In the context I meant it though. I was basically thinking about him not flailing away and striking out at hittable pitches. Two games ago he struck out all 3 of his PA's.

I understand Avila is not going to hit .280, but all the swing and misses were concerning. Tonight he seems to be on most pitches, that's what I was driving at, just not being specific because the name Avila is a dirty word around here and didn't feel like inviting the "Avila sucks" crowd to make an appearance.

As shaky as JV has looked at times this year, here his is about to go 3-1 in his first 5 starts with an ERA under 2.00.

Yup, it is amazing how run support (6 or more runs in those wins) makes a starter look good.

In the context I meant it though. I was basically thinking about him not flailing away and striking out at hittable pitches. Two games ago he struck out all 3 of his PA's.

I understand Avila is not going to hit .280, but all the swing and misses were concerning. Tonight he seems to be on most pitches, that's what I was driving at, just not being specific because the name Avila is a dirty word around here and didn't feel like inviting the "Avila sucks" crowd to make an appearance.

I got it. I am still not a fan of him starting with a LH Starter. It worked out tonight. But why not give Holaday a primo chance?

Additionally, Worth hits lefties better than Romine. Tonight would have been a great opportunity to get him going as well.. It would have been the ideal Leyland lineup with Holaday, Worth and J.D. Martinez. But it also would have played the odds.

His previous 6 games before today, he had a .238 average with only 2 walks.. So yes, today made his last 7 look good.. One game.

His last 20 PAs prior to today's game, covering 6 games.

5-18 .278 BAVG .350 OBP .381 SLG .731 OPS

I would have had no problem with Holiday playing today over Avila. Though I can see maybe Justin would lobby for Alex to catch him.

I simply have no faith in Worth anymore. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but the injuries, and the struggles over the years have soured me to him some. Romine is nothing special, but I have been somewhat impressed by his defense, and his arm. And he is managing to get on base at a good clip.

His last 20 PAs prior to today's game, covering 6 games.

5-18 .278 BAVG .350 OBP .381 SLG .731 OPS

By contrast, his past 15 PA's before today(covering the past 4 games) he had a .133 BAVG and .200 OBP. with 6 strikeouts.

Verlander since 9/1/2013 (postseason included): 14 starts, 95.2 IP, 1.69 ERA, 2.16 FIP.

Back