Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers @ White Sox 5-6-15 Game #28

Tiger pitchers

Avila C = 157.0 IP 3.32 ERA 3.31 xFIP 1.13 WHIP .228 OPP BAVG 2.35 SO/BB 5.85 PA/SO .264 BABIP

McCann C = 89.0 IP 5.56 ERA 4.07 xFIP 1.46 WHIP .293 OPP BAVG 2.33 SO/BB 6.14 PA/SO .327 BABIP

2013 - present

Avila C = 2011.3 IP 3.66 ERA 3.25 xFIP 1.24 WHIP .245 OPP BAVG 2.84 SO/BB 4.68 PA/SO .298 BABIP

Other C = 1151.2 IP 4.14 ERA 3.36 xFIP 1.38 WHIP .272 OPP BAVG 2.87 SO/BB 4.71 PA/SO .329 BABIP

The difference between Avila and the other catchers doesn't exist based on strikeouts or walks, it comes with hits. Grounded into double plays rates aren't much difference. The difference is in the OPP BAVG and BABIP. Less hits = lower ERA and lower WHIP and lower runs.

After Sale was pulled from the game, and certainly by the 7th inning, Avila should have replaced McCann (PH in the 7th). Once Chamberlain was in the game, we only had Hardy or Soria available. Wilson went 3.3 innings the day before. So we either needed to maintain our lead or add to it. Avila offered a better chance in doing so, even with Joba pitching.

Prior to the game (career)

Joba with McCann = 5.3 IP 8.44 ERA 1.88 WHIP .417 OPP BAVG 1.000 OPP OPS

Joba with Avila = 44.6 IP 4.03 1.41 WHIP .262 OPP BAVG .712 OPP OPS

McCann really improved on those numbers, right? I realize they are small sample sizes, but after last night, who here would want McCann catching Joba again? At least not in a winnable game.

I missed the clown show...fell asleep around 11:00 and the Tigers were still up by 2 runs. Sounds like a classic meltdown!

Every other manager in the league brings in a left hander to face Cabrera. .072 vs lefties vs .349 vs righties. Assface cost us a game.

Joba stunk last night, but the loss is on Ausmus. Why the heck didn't he yank him after 3, 4, or even 5 straight hits?!?!? Awful BP managing job.

Based on what I have read there is plenty of blame to go around. Simon only went 5 which exposed the BP which was already somewhat depleted due to yesterdays game. Wilson had to go 3 1/3, hardy pitched one inning and so did Nesbitt. Joba sucked but I think the only other choice was to bring in Hardy who is worse than Joba. Maybe bringing in Hardy there would have been a different outcome...but it is not likely.

Now...today we have Lobstein going with a worn down BP trying to avoid the sweep. The Tigers better score 8 runs today or I smell a loss!

Based on what I have read there is plenty of blame to go around. Simon only went 5 which exposed the BP which was already somewhat depleted due to yesterdays game. Wilson had to go 3 1/3, hardy pitched one inning and so did Nesbitt. Joba sucked but I think the only other choice was to bring in Hardy who is worse than Joba. Maybe bringing in Hardy there would have been a different outcome...but it is not likely.

Now...today we have Lobstein going with a worn down BP trying to avoid the sweep. The Tigers better score 8 runs today or I smell a loss!

I watched the whole game and it was a long and sloppy event. Simon and Sale were both off their game. We had a 3-run lead going into the 8th when Joba melted down and Ausmus sat on his hands watching the dumpster fire. It was especially frustrating because it was a divisional game on a night where the Royals lost. We should have won the game and moved back into first. I don't care what the other options were there, Ausmus should have exercised one of them (Hardy? Soria?) instead of sitting there watching Joba give up six straight hits, four runs, and the lead.

McCann ended up making a dumb running mistake in the 9th (credit to the CWS for good fundamentals on the play) and cost us an out. Had he not gotten out, we likely would have tied it up in the 9th and had the chance to take the lead. Long and frustrating night of sloppy baseball.

I watched the whole game and it was a long and sloppy event. Simon and Sale were both off their game. We had a 3-run lead going into the 8th when Joba melted down and Ausmus sat on his hands watching the dumpster fire. It was especially frustrating because it was a divisional game on a night where the Royals lost. We should have won the game and moved back into first. I don't care what the other options were there, Ausmus should have exercised one of them (Hardy? Soria?) instead of sitting there watching Joba give up six straight hits, four runs, and the lead.

McCann ended up making a dumb running mistake in the 9th (credit to the CWS for good fundamentals on the play) and cost us an out. Had he not gotten out, we likely would have tied it up in the 9th and had the chance to take the lead. Long and frustrating night of sloppy baseball.

I fell asleep...I'm glad I did!

Not to mention Nick should have caught the in-between liner that was hit to him. He either lost it in the lights or whiffed because he sure did alligator arm it..

http://opoutofleftfield.blogspot.com/2015/05/scoring-change-shaves-45-runs-off-joba.html
Scoring change shaves 4.5 runs off Joba Chamberlain's ERA.
from the OaklandPress

Following a review by Major League Baseball, Tigers third baseman Nick Castellanos has been charged with error on a line drive hit by Chicago's Adam Eaton in the eighth inning May 6 at Chicago. The play was initially ruled a hit for Eaton and Tigers reliever Joba Chamberlain was charged with four earned runs. Chamberlain is still charged with blowing a save, but his ERA fell to 1.13.

Last edited:
Back