Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

JV to the DL

The fact that you make baseball all about money makes me wonder how you can enjoy it at all.

The fact that you make baseball all about money makes me wonder how you can enjoy it at all.

I don't enjoy baseball...just the Tigers. I never watch a game that the Tigers aren't playing in. Not even the WS.

As far as money...like it or not it is the driving force behind all professional sports.

He needs to build up his arm with no setbacks. He will be back within a few weeks.

well...let's see how this $28M tricep holds up!

I have severe doubts he is back by the all star break. If I'm the Tigers I think I still make him wait another week or 2 before he throws at all. Just give it a bit more rest to be sure. And if he happens to have any set back after shutting him down for a month then I just don't see him on the mound for us this season. I can't wrap my mind around a tricep issue of any kind taking this long to heal.....well, maybe if some mugger sliced his tricep with a Rambo knife trying to mug him.

"He was given the clearance to resume a throwing program designed to return him to full competition," the team's statement said.

It's still a long way from throwing in a game, and manager Brad Ausmus acknowledged last week that Verlander likely faces a lengthy Minor League rehab assignment once he's ready for game action. Still, the clearance means he can at least start making progress.

Verlander has been undergoing near-weekly MRIs since cutting his simulated game in Pittsburgh short three weeks ago and experiencing soreness afterward. Team officials insisted Verlander wouldn't begin a throwing progression again until the MRI shows no fluid around the triceps, indicating that inflammation is gone. It's an unusual approach to what Verlander calls an unusual injury, but they're trying to avoid any more stops and starts.

"I'm itching," Verlander said Tuesday afternoon after the exam. "I told [head athletic trainer] Kevin [Rand] if I get that green light, man, it's going to be hard to hold me back. I'm ready to go."

Three doctors -- one with the team -- have been looking over Verlander's tests and progress reports and making recommendations, Verlander said Tuesday. That process held up any decision on Verlander's Tuesday test results until Wednesday morning.

In the meantime, Verlander has been doing exercises as well as "extremely light" tossing, as Ausmus put it, meant more to keep Verlander occupied.

Verlander will start his progression by long-tossing off flat ground, increasing the distance in increments. Once he has thrown far enough and long enough to assure team medical staff that he's fine, he'll start throwing off a mound in the bullpen. Verlander will do a series of those sessions before he's cleared to face hitters.

Sounds like Verlander will begin as if it is Pitchers and Catchers reporting in mid February.
6 to 8 weeks to build up arm strength etc. as long as there are no setbacks.

I don't enjoy baseball...just the Tigers. I never watch a game that the Tigers aren't playing in. Not even the WS.

As far as money...like it or not it is the driving force behind all professional sports.

I agree with TD.. I never watch baseball unless it has something to do with the Tigers..

I have severe doubts he is back by the all star break. If I'm the Tigers I think I still make him wait another week or 2 before he throws at all. Just give it a bit more rest to be sure. And if he happens to have any set back after shutting him down for a month then I just don't see him on the mound for us this season. I can't wrap my mind around a tricep issue of any kind taking this long to heal.....well, maybe if some mugger sliced his tricep with a Rambo knife trying to mug him.

I strained my right tricep while working out 2 winters ago. It messed up my progress for 4-5 months. I could not even bench press for a month, then when I started I ended up retweaking it 2-3 times over the next few months. It probably took 5 months to completely heal. I was pretty surprised too. It affected my bench press, shoulder press, really almost everything but lower body exercises. Even after it was fully healed, I avoided isolating triceps and then when I finally did, I started with really light weights.

Verlander was in good spirits before Wednesday's game, running around the clubhouse like a man getting ready to go on a rehab assignment.

Ausmus said Verlander would "probably" pitch Sunday in Indianapolis, where Triple-A Toledo is scheduled to play. He'd like to see Verlander throw between 80-85 pitches.

The team will make a decision regarding Verlander after Sunday's start. He could return to the Tigers rotation or make another rehab start.

INDIANAPOLIS -- The runs Justin Verlander allowed in the second inning were not entirely his fault. But the runners that were all over the bases in that inning were.

Verlander struggled to command his pitches in the second inning Sunday afternoon while making a rehabilitation start for Triple-A Toledo in a game against the Indianapolis Indians.

Verlander needed 36 pitches to navigate the second inning and almost half of those pitches -- 17 -- missed the strike zone. He went to 3-2 counts on four consecutive batters, walked back-to-back hitters and hit a batter with a pitch in the second inning.

Verlander's command -- but not his results -- improved in the third inning, when he threw 17 of 23 pitches for strikes. The Indians loaded the bases against Verlander on three singles -- one of them a blooper that should have been caught -- before Gorkys Hernandez hit a sacrifice fly to center to give the Indians a 3-2 lead.

Verlander's final line: 2.2IP, 6H, 3R, 3ER, 2BB, 3SO. He threw 79 pitches, 50 for strikes, and hit one batter with a pitch.

First inning
Pitches: 20
Strikes: 14
Swings and misses: 1
Fastball: 91-94 mph

Second inning
Pitches: 36
Strikes: 19
Swings and misses: 2
Fastball: 89-96 mph

Third inning
Pitches: 23
Strikes: 17
Swings and misses: 4
Fastball: 90-95 mph

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2015/05/detroit_tigers_justin_verlande_138.html

"I feel good," Verlander said. "No issues in regard to the injury. That's obviously the most important thing coming away from today."

What did Verlander make of all the foul balls?

"I wasn't executing," he said with no hesitation. "Lombo gave me a really good at-bat early on. He's been in the big leagues a while. He knows how to work a count. A few of their guys gave me a little bit of trouble. A lot of it was on me. ... A lot of it was not quite executing."

The Tigers have three off-days scheduled in the next 11 days, so they can tinker with the rotation a bit. But if Verlander needs another rehabilitation start, the Tigers will need someone to pitch Friday in Chicago against the White Sox. They could then slot Verlander into the rotation at some point the following week.

A lot of that will depend on how Verlander feels Monday.

"I think it's just a matter of how I feel," he said. "Obviously, your preference isn't to make another one. I want to help the (Tigers) in any way I can."

Verlander had never been to Indianapolis before joining the Mud Hens on Saturday. He said he enjoyed his visit and had a nice view of the ballpark from his hotel room, but he planned to head back to Detroit on Sunday night.

He hopes Sunday is the last time he has to wear a Mud Hens uniform.

"I skipped Triple-A," Verlander said. "I guess now I've got all my bases covered. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. Obviously, you don't want to go on a rehab assignment. It means you got hurt. I went 10 years without doing it. Hopefully it'll be a long time."

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2015/05/detroit_tigers_justin_verlande_140.html

sounds like he was pretty shitty but it was his first re-hab start. I am hoping for the best but I am expecting the 2014 JV

His numbers don't concern me a bit. He threw mid 90's and says he felt fine during and after. If he feels good tomorrow I doubt he'll make another rehab start and we'll see him Friday vs the White Sux.

His numbers don't concern me a bit. He threw mid 90's and says he felt fine during and after. If he feels good tomorrow I doubt he'll make another rehab start and we'll see him Friday vs the White Sux.

I think they should force him to make 1 more rehab start no matter what....but I don't see that happening.

To your point, Tom, we should probably come to terms now with the idea that 2014 JV is his actual ability level now. Having a shitty rehab start doesn't mean a whole lot given he was likely throwing pre-determined pitches just to get a feel for them. But at the same time, nobody should really be expecting a healthy JV to be a superstar. If he comes back and manages a 4.5 ERA, it's probably not because he was rushed back but rather because he's in decline.

Back