Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers record since 11-2 start

biggunsbob

15-18. What are the reasons or such a underachieving stretch.

1. Injuries.
2. ZERO HOME RUNS FROM KINSLER AND 1 FROM MARTINEZ AFTER 49 LAST YEAR.
3. Mismanagement of players. It is probably at least at 3 games or more that Brad has directly effected
the outcome, and not put his players in the best chance at winning the game?
4. GIDP.
5. DD's Roster and Bench.
6. Pitching and bullpen.
7. Feast or famine hitting?

I am flabbergasted how poorly this team has played since it's fast start.

Last edited:
The Tigers are 10th in ERA and 10th in runs scored. Those are very reasonable numbers overall, indicative of this team's ability. That said, we only have two good starting pitchers right now. Sanchez should bounce back at some point, but Simon is unlikely to be sub 3 ERA all year. That's what happens when you lose quality starters every year (Not paying Scherzer was smart, dumping Fister was not, Verlander being out means little given how he pitched last year).

The biggest problem to me is just luck. Baseball is the most luck-based of the major American sports, so that's not exactly unexpected. The difference between GIDP and a hit for an RBI is inches, inches that neither the batter nor fielders really have control over. Management (or mismanagement) has more do to with the roster than actual management. Even if you play all the numbers right, luck is such a big part of single decisions that it's almost impossible to tell whether the decision was right or wrong beforehand.

Eventually these things even out. I expect the team to bounce back with a 20-30 game stretch where they win 2/3rds of their games. But even if they don't, the roster itself just isn't as good as the last few years.

Ehh it's not that surprising. The Tigers are pretty much an average team. Their rotation is not quite as good as it used to be, and the double plays have killed them offensively. Guys are getting on base and they just can't get em in. Seems that's been an issue for a couple years now at least.

Vmart's injury has definitely been a major problem. He was basically our best hitter last year, and he's been a shell of himself. Last year his OPS was .974, and this year it's .578. Huge huge loss.

The hot start had a lot to do with the pitching staff putting up impossible to sustain numbers. What did we have like 5 earned runs allowed those first 13 games? Lol, no way that was going to last.

Detroit is 12-13 in the last 28 days. 92 runs scored (3.68 R/G), versus 104 runs given up (4.16 R/G)

For the season, they are 10th in runs scored per game (10th in Away Runs per game), despite leading the AL in starter OPS for the year. The reason is they are dead last with runner on 1st with less than 2 outs. This offense kills finesse pitchers (1st at .864 Team OPS), but struggles against power pitches (13th at .604 Team OPS). DET has scored 2 or less runs in 17 games (4-13). No other team has more than 15 (TBR 15, CHW 14, BOS 14)

Pitching. DET is 4th in ERA and 3rd Away ERA. The starters rank 5th in the AL with Runs Per Game, as well as the bullpen ranks 5th in the AL in Runs Per Game. Pitching HAS NOT been the issue. Mismanagement of the pitchers has been an issue, but as a whole, pitchers aren't the issue.

We are playing without Verlander, Victor and Avila. Iggy has been in and out of the lineup.

Winning % as starter

R. Davis 16-5 .762 WPCT
Iglesias 21-14 .600 WPCT
A. Avila 12-8 .600 WPCT
M. Cabrera 26-19 .578 WPCT
Cespedes 26-19 .578 WPCT
Castellanos 25-19 .568 WPCT
Kinsler 26-20 .565 WPCT
McCann 13-10 .565 WPCT
J.D. Martinez 25-20 .556 WPCT
V. Martinez 17-14 .548 WPCT

A. Romine 4-4 .500 WPCT

A. Gose 15-17 .469 WPCT
H. Perez 2-3 .400 WPCT
B. Holaday 1-2 .333 WPCT
T. Collins 1-3 .250 WPCT
D. Machado 0-1 .000 WPCT

DET is 10-6 (.625 WPCT) when both Avila and Iglesias are starting. That is only about 1/3 of the games played so far.

Also, in 2014, DET started 27-12 and finished 63-60 without missing much time due to injury. They were 43-6 when scoring 6 runs or more. That accounted for 47.8% of their wins and 30.2 % of their games.

When scoring 4 or more runs

2015 DET 20-4 .833 WPCT (76.9% of wins, 52.2% of games)

2014 DET 79-20 .798 WPCT (87.8% of wins, 61.1% of games)

2013 DET 81-19 .810 WPCT (87.1% of wins, 61.7% of games)

2012 DET 74-25 .747 WPCT (84.1% of wins, 61.1% of games)

2011 DET 76-23 .768 WPCT (80.0% of wins, 61.1% of games)

If DET scores 4 or more runs in 61% of their games and they win at least 75% of those, they are down 3 wins this year by not scoring 4 runs at the same rate as years past, regardless of what the pitching does.

I'm not really all that surprised we saw this last year to started off 27-12 then went sub .500 rest of the year no?

Team just isn't that good..too many undisciplined hackers in the lineup and for whatever reason they don't seem to see the ball well at night

Last edited:
I hope they trade Price this summer. He's not worth what he'll get paid, and he's vastly overrated. Could set us up pretty decent for next year if we can get several pieces for him. I think the Dodgers would be a perfect fit, and either Corey Seager or Julio Urias would be good starting points for a trade.

I would not mind trading Price for a haul of players.. Some proven and some prospects..

A Price trade might be the best thing for the team. I fear a few lean years in the near future.

11-2 start
17-21 since

Playing real bad baseball right now..

Back