Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

JV to the DL

tomdalton22

JV to the DL and Lobstein to take his place. Not a huge surprise...looks like Lobstein will be starting on Sunday.

Yeah figured this would happen. This sounds like one of those things that is going to continue to happen to him...just a gut feeling. Seems like one of those things that will show up each time he throws for real. Might have to shut him down completely for 2 weeks to see if it gets any better. Just don't let him throw at all.

From what I've heard, this was a non-baseball injury (trapeze w/ his gf or something silly like that) that flared up after pitching. Not likely to be anything long-term or recurring, since triceps aren't common injury points for pitchers. Now's the time to get him healthy and "right". Don't rush him back, wait until he's ready and can help the team.

From what I've heard, this was a non-baseball injury (trapeze w/ his gf or something silly like that) that flared up after pitching. Not likely to be anything long-term or recurring, since triceps aren't common injury points for pitchers. Now's the time to get him healthy and "right". Don't rush him back, wait until he's ready and can help the team.

Sometimes certain people need to stay single. His GF has been messing him up for too long..

he is guaranteed to make $28M a year for the next 5 years. If I'm him I don't change a thing!

Maybe if he stayed broken up after his almost 2nd Cy Young he'd be making money and he'd be good. Or date a non celebrity.. Win-win.

KingofDetroit, was there a story link to this?

I don't buy the trapeze thing. That story is 5 months old, yet JV just started having problems with his triceps the last week of Spring Training. I don't see him flying off after a ST game to NY to play on the trapeze.

This seems like another ridiculous theory in line with his banging Kate Upton as the reason he can't throw 99 mph.

I don't buy the trapeze thing. That story is 5 months old, yet JV just started having problems with his triceps the last week of Spring Training. I don't see him flying off after a ST game to NY to play on the trapeze.

This seems like another ridiculous theory in line with his banging Kate Upton as the reason he can't throw 99 mph.
I'm by no means saying this is what happened, I was simply relaying what my dad said he heard on the radio. While the linked story is several months old, it does at least show you that he's doing activities with his woman which probably aren't things the Tigers would want their uber expensive investment doing, which may cause a triceps pull/strain like he's got. Also, not sure why you instantly leap to the assumption that he would have had to fly to NYC to take a class like this, when there's a place (or several) in Lakeland that does them...
http://www.cirqueusa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=78

Sounds like he's not any closer to returning.

CHICAGO -- Justin Verlander is trying to stay patient while he recovers from a strained right triceps. It is a difficult task for the right-hander.

The Detroit Tigers star had a third MRI on Tuesday morning in Chicago. The 2011 AL MVP is hoping the inflammation has subsided enough to allow him to increase his throwing program.

"I'm itching. I'm ready to go," Verlander said before the Tigers opened a three-game series against the White Sox. "Everybody was kind of hesitant to put a number (of days) on it and say, `Yeah, Justin -- I think you're going to be OK.' I don't know what they're going to say. It's kind of a `We'll see when the doctors come back."

Verlander began the season on the disabled list, then cut short a simulated game on April 15 due to fatigue and soreness.

"I don't think anybody's at fault for (the injury) lingering -- you can't force the body to heal," he said. "Even in the (simulated) game, I don't think I re-injured it. I think it just wasn't ready. I didn't feel that grab or that really sharp pain. I was just achy, but then it was much more sore than it should have been."

Verlander said he feels "a little bit better," but it's hard to assess.

Darvish was out for a sore tricep at first before it turned into him needing TJ surgery

But it wasn't the cause. Darvish had experienced elbow issues already, and was getting his arm looked at because of tricep tightness when they noticed the ligament was damaged. I have seen nothing at all linking his triceps tightness to the damage in his ulnar collateral ligament. It's like going to the dentist for a cleaning and he finds you need a root canal.

Verlander has had no elbow issues in the past, and several MRI's recently.

But it wasn't the cause. Darvish had experienced elbow issues already, and was getting his arm looked at because of tricep tightness when they noticed the ligament was damaged. I have seen nothing at all linking his triceps tightness to the damage in his ulnar collateral ligament. It's like going to the dentist for a cleaning and he finds you need a root canal.

Verlander has had no elbow issues in the past, and several MRI's recently.

It's the Tiger's medical staff...they missed Miggy's bone spurs last year.

Anyway, I was listening to MLB radio or the fantasy station and they had some sports doctor on. They were saying that all of those tendons & ligaments are connected as far as one getting damaged / weakened it causes stress and damage to others due to change in motion. Over my head...but it made sense.

Tightness in triceps and you miss the first month of the season...there has to be more to it.

CHICAGO -- The results are in. Justin Verlander will start throwing again.

Verlander has been cleared to begin a throwing program following his third MRI this season, the Detroit Tigers announced the news in a release Wednesday afternoon.

"Justin Verlander was examined by Tony Romeo today to review his MRI results from yesterday," the release said. "He was given clearance to resume a throwing progression designed to return him to full competition."

A timeframe for Verlander's return to the rotation is not clear at this point. He first suffered his right triceps strain March 27 in a Grapefruit League start. He hasn't thrown with any real effort since April 15, when a simulated game at PNC Park in Pittsburgh was cut short.

Verlander had the first of his three MRIs the day after that simulated game. That MRI showed inflammation in his right triceps. A follow-up MRI on April 24 showed a slight reduction in inflammation.

The Tigers and Verlander clearly got some good news from the third MRI.

Verlander has been on the disabled list for the entire season to this point. Kyle Lobstein has pitched in his place in the rotation and is 2-2 with a 3.91 ERA in four starts.

Back