Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

JV to the DL

To your point, Tom, we should probably come to terms now with the idea that 2014 JV is his actual ability level now. Having a shitty rehab start doesn't mean a whole lot given he was likely throwing pre-determined pitches just to get a feel for them. But at the same time, nobody should really be expecting a healthy JV to be a superstar. If he comes back and manages a 4.5 ERA, it's probably not because he was rushed back but rather because he's in decline.

I was really hoping that the 2014 version of JV was due to his core injury but I am realistic....I think 2014 JV is what we have to look forward to for the next few years then it will get even worse. I see CC numbers in his near future. Just think...this is the first year of his extension where his salary is $28M for the next 5 years! My guess is he will have a negative WAR each for most of this contract extension. DD should be fired for that contract alone! (of course we know it was probably Mr I that was behind that and Miggy's contract extensions)

Good move.

I agree he needs it; if they weren't so screwed up, maybe one more after the second one.

It's all about his mechanics, the fastball is there, just fine tuning it up. The first rehab he had nearly 80 pitches in less than 3 innings, and was all over the place. 8/9 weeks not pitching is understandable.

Getting JV, Victor, Rondon, and Avila back, I'm hoping will improve their record later this month and rest of the year.

You live near Toledo Tom?
Get your ticket(s) early.

We would all like to hear first hand assessment of how JV looked.

yes...within 20 minutes. We have a good friend that works for the Mud Hens so we get tickets to any game...so that won't be a problem.

2014 Verlander pitched better than his 4.54 ERA indicate.

QS
Porcello 21 of 31
Verlander 18 of 32

IP
Verlander 206.0
Porcello 204.6

ERA
Porcello 3.43
Verlander 4.54

FIP
Porcello 3.67
Verlander 3.74

OPP BAVG
Porcello .268
Verlander .275

Their peripheral stats are about the same, yet Verlander was pitching hurt. I do not expect Verlander to return to Cy Young numbers (I don't believe any starter will after the age of 30), but if he is truly healthy, then he can still be a solid #2, with a possibility of being in the lower half of all #1s.

I will also point out Verlander was greatly effected by the bull pen letting inherited runners score after he left the game. 1. Ausmus tended to leave him in too long and 2. the bull pen didn't do him any favors.

Last edited:
2014 Relievers with Inherited Runners (Team was 32.8%)

Verlander 14 IR 9 IS 64.3% (Krol 3 IR 3 IS)

Sanchez 15 IR 9 IS 60.0% (Krol 3 IR 1 IS)

Lobstein 4 IR 2 IS 50.0% (Coke 2 IR 2 IS)

R. Ray 3 IR 1 IS 33.3%

Porcello 16 IR 4 IS 25.0% (Krol 3 IR 0 IS)

D. Price 12 IR 4 IS 25.0%

Scherzer 7 IR 1 IS 14.3%

Smyly 8 IR 0 IS 0.0%

The Average AL Starter in 2014 has 3.92 ERA (4.14 R/G)

In his second rehabilitation start with Triple-A Toledo, the right-hander displayed much better command than his first time out. Verlander struck out nine without a walk, allowing an unearned run and four hits in 5 2/3 innings against the Columbus Clippers. 93 pitches (69 strikes).

The fastball was in the low 90s, topping out at 94. The change-up was impressive. And the curveball was breaking like crazy, just like the Verlander of old.

"Today was a step I wanted to see," Verlander said. "The biggest thing was getting my pitch count up and getting some innings, not just throwing three innings, but getting out there and getting up and down a few times."

Only a couple Columbus players hit the ball very hard against Verlander, who got many more swings-and-misses than the last time out — though the foul balls still were numerous.

Last edited:
So JV's 2nd start went well which means he'll be joining the team. 5 days rest means he could pitch on Thursday but we have off days Monday and Thursday this week. Price is scheduled to pitch Friday against Cleveland. Do they move Price back a day and give him 6 days rest again or just pitch JV on Saturday and bump everyone else back?

JUSTIN VERLANDER TO START SATURDAY
After two Triple-A starts, the Tigers said the ace is ready to make his 2015 debut. Sidelined with a triceps injury since spring training, the former Cy Young winner is coming of a 15-12 season with a 4.54 ERA, 2nd-worst of his career.

Back