Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Alex Avila to DL

According to Chris Iott there's "no time frame for Alex, but it certainly sounds like more than a 15-day thing"

Not good. I'm sure Rebbiv will post the stats but our pitchers are much better with AA behind the plate.

Avila has a loose body in his left knee and was placed on the disabled list Saturday morning. Avila and the Detroit Tigers will not decide on a course of action until some additional doctors look at the MRI he had Friday, but it seems extremely likely that he will have arthroscopic surgery on the knee.

A "loose body" is generally a piece of bone or cartilage that has broken loose and needs to be cleaned out.

"We don't know any type of timetable really," Avila said. "We're trying to basically figure out the course of action right now. But my expectation and my hope would be to be back and ready to go, good as new, for the second half. That would be my hope and I think that's a pretty realistic possibility."

I think most here know that the pitchers have better numbers with Avila. I'm also pretty sure that most here also know that he can't stay healthy for a full season.

I think most here know that the pitchers have better numbers with Avila. I'm also pretty sure that most here also know that he can't stay healthy for a full season.

Stupid comment.

You make it sound like his previous concussions were something that was not beyond his control.

Stupid comment.

You make it sound like his previous concussions were something that was not beyond his control.

Talk about a stupid comment. Does ANYONE get hurt on purpose?

His injury history started WAY before the concussion problem.

None of that matters though. Flamers gonna flame.

So what you're really saying is someone cant stay healthy because of unpredictable impact related occurrences.

So what you're really saying is someone cant stay healthy because of unpredictable impact related occurrences.

Right, because he hasn't had any knee, wrist or arm injuries...

You know what? Throw all that shit aside. Concussions are fucking injuries too and he's had too many of them. Throw on top of that he's got creaky old knees and I stand by my comment.

Just a bit of advice, but maybe find a hobby bud. :cheers:

Maybe it's time for Alex to move on and start a new career as shoe salesman.

Same basic stance but way less exposure to the possibility of serious injury.

I heard this on the way home tonight. Loose body in his knee does not bode well for a catcher...squating, kneeling, etc. He already runs barely faster than Victor who has bad knees.
I guess we will know more in the next couple of days, but imo it might be the clincher for not signing him end of the year when he becomes a free agent. or maybe they do.
This sucks.

I heard this on the way home tonight. Loose body in his knee does not bode well for a catcher...squating, kneeling, etc. He already runs barely faster than Victor who has bad knees.
I guess we will know more in the next couple of days, but imo it might be the clincher for not signing him end of the year when he becomes a free agent. or maybe they do.
This sucks.

They can't sign him if that's the case. They have to let him go. The good news is hopefully he's back after the all star game and they'll have the 2nd half of the year to evaluate the situation. But it sounds like it's definitely time to look for a new starting catcher.

2012-2014

DET with Avila Starting 188-131 .589 WPCT

DET without Avila Starting 83-84 .497 WPCT

From an MLive article...

It is true that Avila is hitting just .200 this season. It is true that he strikes out a lot. But the Tigers are not overloaded with left-handed hitters. The loss of Avila offensively hurts more than many would believe.

Avila is hitting just .244 against right-handers this season. But he has a very solid .404 on-base percentage and a solid .804 OPS against righties.

"It stings a lot, I would say," Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said of the loss of Avila. "He's really the starting catcher, he's a left-handed bat in a right-handed lineup and he's got a ton of experience behind the plate."

Here is how Avila's numbers against right-handers compare to his replacements.

? Alex Avila: .244, .404 OBP, .804 OPS
? James McCann: .310, .310 OBP, .655 OPS
? Bryan Holaday (Toledo): .200, .245 OBP, .534 OPS

Yeah I don't understand why people hate Avila. He's not going to hit .270 but he gets on base and calls a good game with solid defense.

From an MLive article...

It is true that Avila is hitting just .200 this season. It is true that he strikes out a lot. But the Tigers are not overloaded with left-handed hitters. The loss of Avila offensively hurts more than many would believe.

Avila is hitting just .244 against right-handers this season. But he has a very solid .404 on-base percentage and a solid .804 OPS against righties.

"It stings a lot, I would say," Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said of the loss of Avila. "He's really the starting catcher, he's a left-handed bat in a right-handed lineup and he's got a ton of experience behind the plate."

Here is how Avila's numbers against right-handers compare to his replacements.

? Alex Avila: .244, .404 OBP, .804 OPS
? James McCann: .310, .310 OBP, .655 OPS
? Bryan Holaday (Toledo): .200, .245 OBP, .534 OPS

Only problem is, he has more walks than actual hits, and doesn't advance many base runners.

Yeah I don't understand why people hate Avila. He's not going to hit .270 but he gets on base and calls a good game with solid defense.

As the original poster of this thread I can only speak for myself. But my main beef is that I expect a "starter" to start more than 65% of games like Avila has the last 3 years.

He's also been a historically bad postseason hitter(.475 ops in 34 games). But that can be said for others on our teams the last few years too.

Basically, I think we can all agree that finding a quality catcher is not easy to do. Having Avila means you actually have to have 2 quality catchers and that's a near impossible feat.

Back