Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Alex Avila to DL

Only problem is, he has more walks than actual hits, and doesn't advance many base runners.

Who cares? If he gets on from walks or slap singles like Ichiro used to, being on base is never a bad thing, every guy on the team can't be a 100 RBI guy.

And FYI a base on balls is never a GIDP.

Let's not ignore that his 13% BB percentage came at a cost of a 33% K percentage last year.

I'm all for using his defensive game as a reason he should be playing, but his offense is an abortion.

Career .793 OPS vs. RHP (he should never face LHP)

Yep abortion.

Career .793 OPS vs. RHP (he should never face LHP)

Yep abortion.

Uh oh, somebody is living in 2011 still...

Right in my post it said LAST YEAR fella.

Buuuuuuutttttt since you brought up his career, let's take a look at the break down.

2011 .895 OPS vs RHP
2012 .796 OPS vs RHP
2013 .767 OPS vs RHP
2014 .720 OPS vs RHP

He's regressed significantly every year since his 2011 season.

But I can see why you would try to hide it behind his career OPS. It helps your stance.

Now let's just wait for reb to help you out a bit.

Uh oh, somebody is living in 2011 still...

Right in my post it said LAST YEAR fella.

Buuuuuuutttttt since you brought up his career, let's take a look at the break down.

2011 .895 OPS vs RHP
2012 .796 OPS vs RHP
2013 .767 OPS vs RHP
2014 .720 OPS vs RHP

He's regressed significantly every year since his 2011 season.

But I can see why you would try to hide it behind his career OPS. It helps your stance.

Now let's just wait for reb to help you out a bit.

You conveniently left out this year. .805 OPS vs. RHP

I can see why you did it, because you want to be petty.

Now tell me how good Delmon Young is again.

2012-2014 Catchers vs RHP (32 qualify with 600 PA)

**Note: 2 players no longer play the position, Mauer and Santana

Avila

4th in BABIP

7th in OBP

9th in wRC+

10th in wOBA

12th in OPS

12th in ISO

15th in Games

Almost anyone who actually watches the games can see all the teams employ a shift against Avila. That shift has increased over the recent years as more teams employed it. So is it really a regression? Does this not explain how his BABIP (.321) is extreme to his BAVG (.244)?

Avila should play mostly against right handed. Average MLB catchers do not start more than 120 games a year. (#1 Santana = 150 games, #5 Y. Molina = 128 games, #10 S. Perez = 121 games, #15 Avila = 114 games last 3 years) There is only a few that start more than 130, and as I mentioned, 2 of those have change positions (Mauer, Santana).

Bottom line....Avila is an above average catcher. When healthy and against RHP he is even a top 10. No, he shouldn't start against LHP and that is the ideal time to rest him, seeing most MLB catchers don't start more than 70-75% of the games. And that is because most MLB catchers get hurt.

I get it. There are some that are going to hate Avila no matter what the actual facts are. But of all 9 hitters in the lineup, Avila has the third or fourth most value against RHP.

Last edited:
2012-2014 Catchers vs RHP (32 qualify with 600 PA)

**Note: 2 players no longer play the position, Mauer and Santana

Avila

4th in BABIP

7th in OBP

9th in wRC+

10th in wOBA

12th in OPS

12th in ISO

15th in Games

Almost anyone who actually watches the games can see all the teams employ a shift against Avila. That shift has increased over the recent years as more teams employed it. So is it really a regression? Does this not explain how his BABIP (.321) is extreme to his BAVG (.244)?

Avila should play mostly against right handed. Average MLB catchers do not start more than 120 games a year. (#1 Santana = 150 games, #5 Y. Molina = 128 games, #10 S. Perez = 121 games, #15 Avila = 114 games last 3 years) There is only a few that start more than 130, and as I mentioned, 2 of those have change positions (Mauer, Santana).

Bottom line....Avila is an above average catcher. When healthy and against RHP he is even a top 10. No, he shouldn't start against LHP and that is the ideal time to rest him, seeing most MLB catchers don't start more than 70-75% of the games. And that is because most MLB catchers get hurt.

I get it. There are some that are going to hate Avila no matter what the actual facts are. But of all 9 hitters in the lineup, Avila has the third or fourth most value against RHP.

What is this part based on?

Based on the fact Nick, JD and Vmart are hitting like shit. That Davis can't hit vs RHP etc. That's just a guess..

Alex was 6th out of the 7 regs last year that had as many AB's as him in OPS vs RHP.

Also, Gose is are usual CF'er vs RHP so why include Davis?

Alex was 6th out of the 7 regs last year that had as many AB's as him in OPS vs RHP.

Also, Gose is are usual CF'er vs RHP so why include Davis?

I'm talking this season, not last. Doesn't really matter if I include Davis or not. The point is against RHP, Avila is better than quite a few on this team. Yet I see no bashing from you on the three-headed crapfest I mentioned above: Victor, JD and Nick.

I'm talking this season, not last. Doesn't really matter if I include Davis or not. The point is against RHP, Avila is better than quite a few on this team. Yet I see no bashing from you on the three-headed crapfest I mentioned above: Victor, JD and Nick.

I'm not "bashing" Alex. I've already said we're a better team with him. I'm just pointing out that it isn't because his offense. Also, we all know VMart is hurt and probably should've been sitting the last few weeks. Putting him on a list like that is kind of lame or do you want me to lock you into Alex>VMart?

I'm not "bashing" Alex. I've already said we're a better team with him. I'm just pointing out that it isn't because his offense. Also, we all know VMart is hurt and probably should've been sitting the last few weeks. Putting him on a list like that is kind of lame or do you want me to lock you into Alex>VMart?

Injury or not he's part of the 9. I'm not saying Alice is a better hitter..but offensively he's better than he get gets credit for. OBP does count especially on a team where some players don't draw a walk or can't take a pitch..

[/B]

What is this part based on?

Last 3 years OBP vs RHP

M. Cabrera .391

V. Martinez .388

A. Avila .351

A. Gose .331

A. Romine .327

N. Castellanos .325

J.D. Martinez .319

J. Iglesias .314

H. Perez .314

Y. Cespedes .310

I. Kinsler .308

J. McCann .306

B. Holaday .305

R. Davis .286

Last 3 years Runs Created vs RHP

M. Cabrera 129.5

V. Martinez 103.2

Y. Cespedes 84.6

J.D. Martinez 84.3

A. Avila 83.7

N. Castellanos 81.0

A. Gose 75.8

I. Kinsler 71.6

H. Perez 69.0

A. Romine 68.0

J. McCann 66.3

J. Iglesias 60.7

B. Holaday 60.2

R. Davis 58.5

Cespedes, J.D. Martinez and Avila are all within 1 run created offensively. Defensively, there would be debate by some, but Avila is the better defensive player by far. Cespedes has a great arm, but takes lousy routes and misplays balls all the time. J.D. Martinez isn't even an average OFer.

I said 3 or 4, depending on where you want Cespedes.

Injury or not he's part of the 9. I'm not saying Alice is a better hitter..but offensively he's better than he get gets credit for. OBP does count especially on a team where some players don't draw a walk or can't take a pitch..

So you're saying that JD's last 9 games have been good?

Last 3 years OBP vs RHP

M. Cabrera .391

V. Martinez .388

A. Avila .351

A. Gose .331

A. Romine .327

N. Castellanos .325

J.D. Martinez .319

J. Iglesias .314

H. Perez .314

Y. Cespedes .310

I. Kinsler .308

J. McCann .306

B. Holaday .305

R. Davis .286

Last 3 years Runs Created vs RHP

M. Cabrera 129.5

V. Martinez 103.2

Y. Cespedes 84.6

J.D. Martinez 84.3

A. Avila 83.7

N. Castellanos 81.0

A. Gose 75.8

I. Kinsler 71.6

H. Perez 69.0

A. Romine 68.0

J. McCann 66.3

J. Iglesias 60.7

B. Holaday 60.2

R. Davis 58.5

Cespedes, J.D. Martinez and Avila are all within 1 run created offensively. Defensively, there would be debate by some, but Avila is the better defensive player by far. Cespedes has a great arm, but takes lousy routes and misplays balls all the time. J.D. Martinez isn't even an average OFer.

I said 3 or 4, depending on where you want Cespedes.

So the regression every year doesn't concern you?

Back