Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 130 Tigers vs. yankees August 26 2014

Tigers season of apathy is turning into days/nights of no game thread?
before the rain delay announced.
new start time tentative for 8:15

STARTING LINEUPS: (Statistics vs. opposing starter in parentheses)

Detroit Tigers
1. Ian Kinsler, 2B (5 for 21)
2. Torii Hunter, RF (8 for 19, 1 HR)
3. Miguel Cabrera, 1B (4 for 15)
4. Victor Martinez, DH (9 for 24, 1 HR)
5. J.D. Martinez, LF (1 for 3)
6. Nick Castellanos, 3B
7. Alex Avila, C (2 for 13)
8. Eugenio Suarez, SS (0 for 2)
9. Rajai Davis, CF (2 for 8)
RHP Rick Porcello (14-8, 3.10 ERA)
Lifetime vs. Yankees: 3-3, 4.18 ERA

New York Yankees
1. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF (8 for 13, 2 HR)
2. Derek Jeter, DH (1 for 15)
3. Brian McCann, C
4. Mark Teixeira, 1B (4 for 16)
5. Carlos Beltran, RF (4 for 8)
6. Martin Prado, 2B (2 for 7)
7. Stephen Drew, SS (2 for 7, 1 HR)
8. Chase Headley, 3B (3 for 6, 1 HR)
9. Ichiro Suzuki, LF (11 for 28)
RHP Brandon McCarthy (8-12, 4.01 ERA)
Lifetime vs. Tigers: 4-3, 3.14 ERA

I was wondering if you guys just never did game day threads or something. I was going to start one, but I am the new guy and didn't want to step on anyone's toes.

Apathy definitely seems like a plausible excuse.

I was wondering if you guys just never did game day threads or something. I was going to start one, but I am the new guy and didn't want to step on anyone's toes.

Yup every game..
Now there are some days Kalinecountry is not available and someone fills in and posts it..
We also have been really pissed with the Tigers this year as some of us feel their window is closing fast with this group... So yes after blowing two huge divisional leads to KC there is plenty of apathy on here.. I am guilty of it.. This team is just a frustrating roller coaster of a season this season...Welcome to the board....

Yup every game..
Now there are some days Kalinecountry is not available and someone fills in and posts it..
We also have been really pissed with the Tigers this year as some of us feel their window is closing fast with this group... So yes after blowing two huge divisional leads to KC there is plenty of apathy on here.. I am guilty of it.. This team is just a frustrating roller coaster of a season this season...Welcome to the board....

I am with you on the idea that the window is closing. There are not many teams that stay really good and make the playoffs just about every year over a 8-10 year stretch...which is what we have right now, but we are missing the elusive prize. I have been a long time fan. I was only 7 when they won it all in 84 so I did not appreciate it as much.

I left baseball for about 10 years and turned into an NFL guy. Still watch the NFL every Sunday (and now Thursday and Monday) and came back to the Tigers back in 2004. Great year to come back right? lol And got to experience 06 for what it was...completely out of left field and an amazing journey. The past few years have been great for fans, but we need that World Series title now...we really do.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but my apathy comes from "stupid" plays (even when they win). I hate watching a team make so many mental errors/mistakes. I enjoy watching good baseball execution, even if the result isn't in their favor or results in a loss.

Whether it is a pitcher grooving a 0-2 pitch right down the middle, or a hitter first pitch swinging into a doubleplay after the previous two hitters drew walks, this team is made up with talented players that are mental midgets. And it all starts with the manager and coaching staff.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but my apathy comes from "stupid" plays (even when they win). I hate watching a team make so many mental errors/mistakes. I enjoy watching good baseball execution, even if the result isn't in their favor or results in a loss.

Whether it is a pitcher grooving a 0-2 pitch right down the middle, or a hitter first pitch swinging into a doubleplay after the previous two hitters drew walks, this team is made up with talented players that are mental midgets. And it all starts with the manager and coaching staff.

Yup.. Spot on R....

For my part, Im usually at work/leaving for work when day games start (and at work for the start of many night games) so i cant fill in often.

Rebbiv, you would rather watch a clean, well-executed loss vs a sloppy win?

I would rather watch the Tigers win ugly than lose a well-executed game. That said, if they continue to play sloppy they will lose more than they win.

I would rather watch the Tigers win ugly than lose a well-executed game. That said, if they continue to play sloppy they will lose more than they win.

Exactly.

It isn't necessarily an either/or proposition.

First you have to have the talent. You cannot win without talent. But, for a short period, you can win by doing everything right fundamentally.

Then comes execution.

If Player X consistently runs out ground balls, then it doesn't matter if the team wins or loses for the most part. However, is Player Z lackadaisically runs to 1B and the Tigers win, not much is said, but it still bothers me. If they lose, well, then I am not the only one commenting.

Well I much prefer a win no matter what but I get what Rebbiv is saying...

Do game day threads usually start just before game time? I am used to them starting early in the day (from another forum) and just curious.

Do game day threads usually start just before game time? I am used to them starting early in the day (from another forum) and just curious.

When they are done, it's asked that they are up 2 hours before the game, but much of the time the lineups are not finalized by then. If I have time and see there is no thread an hour or so before a game I'll do it, but usually I'm busy at that time (6-7 pm) and working during most day games.

I don't get that logic whatsoever, but that's just me. I'll take a disgusting win all day over a pretty loss.

I'll always take a win with 5 errors vs a close loss.

It may not be an either/or, but you gave me an absolute answer that yes you would prefer to lose pretty. I get you have a love of the game, but if that love is still a loss, then it doesn't matter at the end of the day when the team goes home with an L.

Last edited:
I don't get that logic whatsoever, but that's just me. I'll take a disgusting win all day over a pretty loss.

I'll always take a win with 5 errors vs a close loss.

It may not be an either/or, but you gave me an absolute answer that yes you would prefer to lose pretty. I get you have a love of the game, but if that love is still a loss, then it doesn't matter at the end of the day when the team goes home with an L.

I am a Tiger's fan first and foremost, so yeah, I always want them to win. But no team has won 162 games. In fact, most teams rarely win 100 games. So they are going to be losses.

Now, the question you posed, was the difference between a sloppy win and a clean loss. The difference is in my blood pressure. My wife will attest, I am calmer in games where there are no "stupid" baseball decisions/player actions. And there is a difference between that and an "exciting" game.

I guess it comes from the coaching I had as a youth. Being from a small town school, we couldn't always compete on talent and size. So we made up for it by execution and being smart. Whether it was baseball, basketball or football. We didn't hang our heads when we got beat, if we knew we played the game right. Again, majority of the time, talent will always win, if all other things are even. But talent can on short term basis be beat by smarts and execution.

Additionally, in baseball, talent has been known to "give up" and the season fails when that happens. I sense the Tigers are on that verge.

Been doing the Tigers game threads for years starting at espn with everyone here.
I asked about 5 of the regulars here to do them this season with my schedule.

Yeah we normally wait for the line up to be made official.. We could start it earlier
and then go back and edit it with the line-up on the first page... That would not be to hard... We could discus it...

When they are done, it's asked that they are up 2 hours before the game, but much of the time the lineups are not finalized by then. If I have time and see there is no thread an hour or so before a game I'll do it, but usually I'm busy at that time (6-7 pm) and working during most day games.

Thanks

Yeah we normally wait for the line up to be made official.. We could start it earlier
and then go back and edit it with the line-up on the first page... That would not be to hard... We could discus it...

I sit behind a desk during the day and not really online during the game so for me personally it is always cool to sit and see what people think about the game during the day leading up to it.

Back