Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers claim Chad Qualls

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
They will try to work out a deal with astros.
http://www.freep.com/article/20140826/SPORTS02/308260094/chad-qualls-detroit-tigers-astros
Detroit Tigers claim Astros' Chad Qualls on revocable waivers.
freep

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/spor...able-waivers-have-one-more-day-to-make-a-deal
Tigers claim Astros’ closer Chad Qualls off revocable waivers, have one more day to make a deal.
OaklandPress

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2014/08/report_detroit_tigers_claim_ho.html
Detroit Tigers claim Houston Astros reliever Chad Qualls off revocable waivers.
mlive

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...os-closer-Chad-Qualls-48-hours-work-out-trade
Tigers claim Astros closer Chad Qualls, have 48 hours to work out trade.
detnews

http://motorcitybengals.com/2014/08/26/detroit-tigers-land-chad-qualls/
Detroit Tigers could land Chad Qualls.
from mcbtb

After signing Joe Nathan (27 saves/six blown saves) and Joba Chamberlain in the offseason, the Tigers have followed the Boston Red Sox’s model for building a bullpen from last season, throwing potential (inexpensive) solution after solution at the issue.

They signed former Red Sox closer Joel Hanrahan mid-season, hoping he could return to form after Tommy John surgery (he hasn’t been able to pitch yet), then added former Orioles and A’s closer Jim Johnson on a minor-league deal after he was released. They also traded a pair of high-level prospects to the Rangers for closer Joakim Soria, who has been on the disabled list.

As pertains to any team with a player claimed off revocable waivers, the Astros have three options: Make a deal with the Tigers, pull Qualls back off waivers and keep him, let the Tigers have him for nothing.

Last edited:
DD in January "we're set." What a patchwork quilt of spare parts this team is these days. Yet there is no room for James McCann.

Not a bad move, provided we don't lose someone that will be in the papers often in future years beyond Qualis' retirement.
He's a strike thrower and under team control thru 2016.

The pen would look a lot better with Soria and Qualls added to it. Hopefully we can get him for nothing or close to it.

We had better not give up anything of worth to get him. He's been good, but trading for relievers pisses me off.

We need more closers..yea. How about we trade for a setup guy or something? How many closers does a team need..maybe we can trade for a pitching coach..

We need more closers..yea. How about we trade for a setup guy or something? How many closers does a team need..maybe we can trade for a pitching coach..

Here's an idea. We build a pitching staff composed entirely of closers. Taht's right, 13 closers. Each guy pitches 1 shutdown inning (give or take for l/r matchups and extra innings) and we go 160-2 on the year in 2015.

The two losses coming in games where it's 0-0 for 15+ innings and Don Kwelly and Andrew Romine each come in to give up the walkoff losses.

They all can be used in any spot. I like trying to get a ton of closers...especially on this team with Sloppy Joe crappin the bed every other night.

For years I always here closers struggle in non-save situations ..at least many do. So what we do get closers for non-save situations.

I'll go with Thumb's idea. 13 closers would be pretty cool..

We had better not give up anything of worth to get him. He's been good, but trading for relievers pisses me off.

So the relievers that we have now do not p _ _ s you off? I ask just how do you get relief pitchers. Because I think the relief tree is out.

So the relievers that we have now do not p _ _ s you off? I ask just how do you get relief pitchers. Because I think the relief tree is out.

First and foremost, a vast majority of MLB relievers were once starters early in their minor league/major league career. Usually, they were afforded an opportunity to develop a secondary/tertiary pitches. Having failed to do so, they were made into relievers (see Andrew Miller, Benoit, etc, etc).

Second, you sign or trade for them in the offseason. And if they are in a trade, they are not the soul focus of the trade.

And finally, Kyle Lobstein is expected never to develop into a MLB starter. Yet, we use him as a minor league starter and now might be the best option (only because of previous moves by this team) to replace Sanchez (VerHagen was the other one I had mentioned, but now he is hurt). Early on in the season, I had said he (Lobstein) should have been called up to be a reliever and scratch the notion of him pretending to be a starter. There are others in the minors just waiting to be effective relievers. DET is just reluctant to do that.

Last edited:

It pisses me off because its something we should have addressed in the offseason rather than wasting prospects trading for relief pitchers. Its even more infuriating because it seems like everyone and their mother except DD knew the bullpen would be shit, but he did almost nothing about it besides signing an asshole, over the hill, shitty closer, and Joba, who has done well but wasnt enough.

Last edited:
No deal got done, window expired at 1:30pm EST.

Just as well. This ship is sinking like the Titanic and moves like that are like trying to bail the water out with a teacup.

At some point , and soon; these 25 guys need to decide if they want to start winning, and then play like it. Adding a few new faces won't change the core motivation here.

Back