Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Blizzard up and down the East Coast

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
we are in for one hell of a blizzard. Estimates are 20 to 30 inches, and reports of a band that might have up to 36 inches.
It already started here around 3 or 4 this afternoon where I am in the Boston suburbs. Snow will fall at times at 2-3-4 inches per hour and wind down early hours Wednesday morning.
There are reports of many people will have loss of electrical power winds from 50 to 70 mph.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd...._=1428423062_2aaa3ddaa7d2d548c1c7f8f5451d6bab

Last edited:
Take care. I know that flights were postponed, that area of the East is brutal at times from what I can understand

Take care. I know that flights were postponed, that area of the East is brutal at times from what I can understand

Yeah Mitch, a friend's sister was leaving for Florida for a couple of weeks. She had it set for Tuesday, but when they heard about this snow, they were able to change it to this morning, so she got out of before it started.

I got home around 7 tonight, The driving ban is either 8 or at midnight,
The weather and news showed this is all the way down to Maryland and the Carolinas and up to the northern part of Maine.

Plenty of food and some cigars to get me through.

If you guys don't see me posting on the Tigers board later tonight or Tuesday/Wednesday, it means we lost power.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, if we're out after midnight we'll be arrested/fined big. They started doing it after that huge snowstorm a few years ago when people got trapped in their cars for 24+ hours because they were stupid enough to go out.

Frankly, I think they should be left to rot if they go out for no reason as I'm all for Darwinism, but I'm also not against the ban either.

If you see me go dark, that means I've lost power too (though I might post an update since I'll have my phone.)

Oh yeah, if we're out after midnight we'll be arrested/fined big. They started doing it after that huge snowstorm a few years ago when people got trapped in their cars for 24+ hours because they were stupid enough to go out.

Frankly, I think they should be left to rot if they go out for no reason as I'm all for Darwinism, but I'm also not against the ban either.

If you see me go dark, that means I've lost power too (though I might post an update since I'll have my phone.)

Good law I guess. Learn something new everyday..thanks.

I'm watching Louis CK on Letterman right now. They're talking about hellacious east coast weather and they're also talking about Pauly Shore's mom.

The no driving ban was lifted in New York and New Jersey, but not Mass and maybe still not R.I.
Was outside for an hour clearing snow from around my car, as usual with winds from a blizzard over 35/40 mph, half the car had much more on it and on the ground than the opposite side. They are expecting the snow to continue into the evening.

We had been fortunate in that from Nov. 1 until last weekend we had a total of 5/6 inches, last weekend another 5/6. This snow storm will more than makes up for the low totals.

The snow wasnt super bad here overnight, but its gotten much worse in the last few hours. We probably have at least 12-18" and its still coming down hard.

New York and New Jersey got a tiny fraction of what was expected. I had to stay in a hotel in NYC because I wouldn't be able to get to work from NJ with all the bridges and tunnels closed and mass transit shut down. I was talking to my wife throughout the night and it was no big deal by my house - got about 3" as of 9am today. It started snowing a bit later this morning but just light fluries. Everything is back up and running to at least weekend service levels (subways and commuter trains), driving bans lifted and bridges and tunnels are open. Much ado about nothing for NY and NJ. I'm getting a kick out of the people I talk to that went out and bought 4lbs of cold cuts and 3 months worth of toilet paper though...

Last edited:
We have those in Michigan and Ohio too.

Where unless its an emergency it's illegal to be driving.

I have never once encountered this and lived in Michigan all my life. So I googled it and also found nothing that even comes close to backing up that claim.

We havent gotten quite what we were estimated, but we'll probably end up with at least 18" here which was the very low end of our estimate of 20-30". KC would have to update, but I hear its worse in MA.

We havent gotten quite what we were estimated, but we'll probably end up with at least 18" here which was the very low end of our estimate of 20-30". KC would have to update, but I hear its worse in MA.

After my first snow clearing and shoveling, came in ate and took a nice nap. Went back out there 12:30'ish until 2, came in and ate. The wbz forecast for Boston and 20/30 miles around is more snow between now and around midnight. Another 6 to 12 inches.

The roads are clear with all the snow plows. It's just a matter of the company to come back and clear all this snow tonight or early Wednesday so we can get out.

There is some good news.....another snow storm with half the magnitude of this one is coming they say on Friday. HAR!

That should be fun.

Best part about all the snow is that I'm getting paid to stay at home today. Yay!

Far as I know it's never been considered illegal to drive in MI during or after a blizzard. If it has or is then I guess I've broken that law a few times.

They just call things like this the "new normal" as if that makes it all OK or the way it's supposed to be. meh I don't like where this is all going.

Far as I know it's never been considered illegal to drive in MI during or after a blizzard. If it has or is then I guess I've broken that law a few times.

They just call things like this the "new normal" as if that makes it all OK or the way it's supposed to be. meh I don't like where this is all going.

Not sure, but the speed limit isn't just the posted number. In bad weather, it's whatever the police think is safe.

Not sure, but the speed limit isn't just the posted number. In bad weather, it's whatever the police think is safe.

When I was a kid I was driving in icy conditions and my car hit the person in the next lane. The icy just caught my wheels. Anyway, the officer wrote in the ticket too fast for conditions. I was going 10.

Out here, on the Mass Pike, when there is bad weather they will have the radio and tv stations tell motorists that the speed limit is 40 or 45.

Back