Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Winter Meetings Dec. 4-8

Meanwhile DD picks up an ace

Good thing DD was shown the door.....

He picked up an ace because he was able to trade prospects from a farm system that didn't suck. In fact he did the same thing with us if you recall, and before long he will have traded away any young cheap players Boston has, and their farm system will suck as well.

People have the memories of goldfish I guess.

He picked up an ace because he was able to trade prospects from a farm system that didn't suck. In fact he did the same thing with us if you recall, and before long he will have traded away any young cheap players Boston has, and their farm system will suck as well.

Yep. Still a weak system..

This.

Let's also not forget his 4 for 1 trade last year to get Kimbrel. So 2 trades where he gave 4 to get 1. That will thin out a farm system pretty quickly, lol.

He traded away the farm system because the 85 year old owner wanted a WS and didn't care what it cost. When DD tried to re-build at the end of 2015 it cost him his job. Now we are stuck with Al Avila who brought in Upton, Zimmerman, Pelfrey, Lowe and Wilson.

He traded away the farm system because the 85 year old owner wanted a WS and didn't care what it cost. When DD tried to re-build at the end of 2015 it cost him his job. Now we are stuck with Al Avila who brought in Upton, Zimmerman, Pelfrey, Lowe and Wilson.

This is how I remember it as well.

On a side note how long is a memory of a gold fish?

.484 WPCT = DD's time in DET

In 14 years as Tigers' GM, who exactly did he draft and where is all this talent he traded away? Did any of those players turn into something? Aside from possibly Devon Travis, I cannot think of any player that could have helped more than the player they were traded for.

And he lost his job while DET was having a losing record in 2015 and it would be speculation what the motif was. But one thing that is a fact, in 14 years of drafting, DET has one of the worst success rates from those drafts.

Bottom line. It doesn't matter what DD does in BOS. He cannot draft his own players, so he has to trade for them or buy them as Free Agents. He down right sucks at player development as a GM.

Last edited:
.484 WPCT = DD's time in DET

In 14 years as Tigers' GM, who exactly did he draft and where is all this talent he traded away? Did any of those players turn into something? Aside from possibly Devon Travis, I cannot think of any player that could have helped more than the player they were traded for.

And he lost his job while DET was having a losing record in 2015 and it would be speculation what the motif was. But one thing that is a fact, in 14 years of drafting, DET has one of the worst success rates from those drafts.

Bottom line. It doesn't matter what DD does in BOS. He cannot draft his own players, so he has to trade for them or buy them as Free Agents. He down right sucks at player development as a GM.

DD was the man in charge. He kept people in the positions of scouting, player development, and such like David Chadd, Dave Owen, Scott Pleis.
This is what is frustrating to me that the Tigers continue to have these men in charge of the draft of low ceiling players. Drafting players with tools, but lacking baseball smarts, ie. pitch recognition, plate discipline, good contact skills.
Always drafting a power arm, and many times the pitcher had no control and/or command. Position players who took long to develop if ever, and forever chasing pitches low/away or in the dirt.

In maybe a little less than a year and a half, DD has taken the red sox top 5 minor league farm system, gutted it for ML players, and turned their farm system into a bottom 10.

But I betcha the redsox will get to be a top 5 or 10 minor league system with the people they have in scouting and development sooner than the Tigers with their band of nitwits.

The '09 trade deadline acqisitions of Jarrod Washburnt (who never pitched in the majors again) and Aubrey Huff, who absolutely sucked with a sub-Mendoza line of .189, yet had a career next year with the WS-winning Giants.

Signing Mr. Misty May Treanor for $750K as a backup C, who had a late-season hip injury with the Rangers, and "somehow" it was not detected by the Tigers' medical staff, when he was shelved for the season after <1 month of play with the very same injury.

And of course the '08 cellar dweller Tigers, who had traded for SS Edgar Renteria, he who had won two WS with the '97 Marlins. and the '04 Cards, and after the Tigers granted him FA, went on to be the '10 WS MVP for the Giants.

DD also signed FA OF Gary Sheffield, who the ballclub is STILL paying off his contract, along with extending the contracts of SPs "Gum Time" Nate Robertson AND "D-Train" Dontrelle Willis, both who epic failed as a reward. and esp Willis, who had yet to throw a single pitch as a Tiger. He did have a bat with some power, and I will never understand why no teams ever tried to convert him to OF, or use him as a DH or PH. In his last season in '11 with the Reds, in 34 PAs, he hit .387/.387/.645/1.032 with 3 doubles, one triple, and a homer.

Last edited:
You can trade all the prospects you want. Many teams do it. But if you can't replenish it by drafting well it all doesn't matter..

Back