Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Plan B?

Btw, how were we at 212m last season?

It is the 40-man end of year roster totals, including bonuses achieved.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/american-league/detroit-tigers/

Year End payrolls compiled by Major League Baseball include salaries and pro-rated shares of signing bonuses, earned incentive bonuses, non-cash compensation, cash transactions and buyouts of unexercised options. Deferred salaries may be discounted to reflect present-day value.

I thought the 25 were 185, so the other 15 27m? That seems like a lot.

I thought the 25 were 185, so the other 15 27m? That seems like a lot.

The 2016 Opening Day 25-man roster = $198.6 Mil. We ended with $212.0 for the 40-man roster.

Currently, the projected 2017 Opening Day roster is:

12 players guaranteed contracts = $181.2 Mil

6 arbitration eligible players = $12.0 Mil

That is $193.2 Mil for just 18 players, or $198.6 for all 25. The variances when computing the 40-man, aside from salary, is the bonuses, including signing and due to acquiring players like Aybar during the season.

Is there a plan C? I know it's a bit early but this off season sucks. I was really hoping to see some payroll cut.

Is there a plan C? I know it's a bit early but this off season sucks. I was really hoping to see some payroll cut.

DET and ARZ are the only 2 teams to not sign (FA) or acquire a player this off season that will make $3 Mil or more. That ought to tell you something. Prior to the new CBA being signed, I believed they were intent on cutting payroll. Now that the new CBA is signed and the penalty for being over the threshold isn't so bad, I believe except for a stupid CF signing, they are probably set for 2017.

Stupid CF signing = someone like Austin Jackson, Drew Stubbs, in fact, any remaining FA CFer would be stupid.

DET and ARZ are the only 2 teams to not sign (FA) or acquire a player this off season that will make $3 Mil or more. That ought to tell you something. Prior to the new CBA being signed, I believed they were intent on cutting payroll. Now that the new CBA is signed and the penalty for being over the threshold isn't so bad, I believe except for a stupid CF signing, they are probably set for 2017.

Stupid CF signing = someone like Austin Jackson, Drew Stubbs, in fact, any remaining FA CFer would be stupid.

From what I read, I thought the penalty is about the same.

From what I read, I thought the penalty is about the same.

It is for the first time. It is the penalty for subsequent seasons in a row that isn't as restrictive for this year. They will still pay a penalty, just not as much as what they would have under the previous CBA.

I would take Michael Bourn as a CF option. LH bat, decent OBP vs RH pitching, ok speed. I'm assuming it will be a platoon. But the contract has to be at the right price(less than $3 mill per year)

I would take Michael Bourn as a CF option. LH bat, decent OBP vs RH pitching, ok speed. I'm assuming it will be a platoon. But the contract has to be at the right price(less than $3 mill per year)

But I don't believe he offers any more value than what we currently have. Add to the fact you have to make room for whomever on the 40-man roster.

Honestly I was hoping one day they'd fall below 120m. Too many big contracts to get there..

That's not going to happen. The top 5 salaries (plus Prince dead money) total $120M

I understand just hoping 1 day I see it. Of course by then every team will be minimum 120m. I don't like the way the MLB cap is going. It always gets past to the fans.

Why does payroll have to exceed the cost of living by a shit load.

One problem with the contracts is just about all of them are overpaying in terms of time.
Players are getting an extra year or two when both the team and player know he won't be hitting as well as what got him this contract he is signing.

Over paying in terms of time. It's about the money too.Cabrera contract starts kicking in, in 2018 for 30 m's and in 2022 it jumps again to 32 M's no wonder Tigers did not get takers on him!

Zimmerman contract got back door money as well. 2018 it jumps from 18 to wait for it TWENTY FOUR. That's a 6 mill bump. But hold on it climbs to 25 or 2019 and2020.

and lets face it no one was going to take on Upton contract. Should he not opt out Tigers can change there name to Money Tigers.

And with the cap going up for the next few years, and beyond - the money is way past ridiculous. 40m a year, 50m a year. I might just root for the team with the lowest payroll.

Last edited:
Back