Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers get CFer

Mahtook (27) vs RHP (AAA and above)

2016 (249 PA) = .306 OBP .327 SLG .633 OPS

2015 (338 PA) = .296 OBP .367 SLG .663 OPS

2014 (407 PA) = .332 OBP .411 SLG .743 OPS

The first line cracks me up "The Detroit Tigers bolstered their center field options." If anything though maybe he's cheaper but we're still paying on Gose unless someone picks him up. Which I think the chance is small.

The first line cracks me up "The Detroit Tigers bolstered their center field options." If anything though maybe he's cheaper but we're still paying on Gose unless someone picks him up. Which I think the chance is small.

We also traded Devon Travis straight up to get Gose.

So, for those keeping score at home...

Devon Travis + Cash + Player to Be Named = 27-yr old Mahtook

We also traded Devon Travis straight up to get Gose.

So, for those keeping score at home...

Devon Travis + Cash + Player to Be Named = 27-yr old Mahtook

Yep. That trade never made sense and still bugs the hell of me.

FYI....must be the top notch Tiger Analytics department at work.

Considering the Tiger's loyalty to ex Tigers and such, some guy was probably like...."Mah-took...ahhh, remember da meat hook?"

dmeat.jpg

and another guys was like..."ooohhhh ya, i member him"

1e5.gif

and the rest was history.

Mahtook (27) vs RHP (AAA and above)

2016 (249 PA) = .306 OBP .327 SLG .633 OPS

2015 (338 PA) = .296 OBP .367 SLG .663 OPS

2014 (407 PA) = .332 OBP .411 SLG .743 OPS

I forgot which of the defensive metrics you like, DRS or UZR.
What is Mahtook's defense look like?

Why do I get the feeling I will be calling him Shithook during the season?

Lol. Oh yeah I love your nicknames. Though for the Tigers sake I hope it's "MR Clutch."

Last edited:

His defense grades out a tad lower than Gose's.

I prefer UZR/150 over DRS.

One of the components of DRS is Home Run Saving Catches. How does that work for a LFer in front of the Green Monster? Or that 25' CF in Arizona? Leftfield and Rightfield in Yankee Stadium is less than 4 feet in spots. That must help a lot.

Can play all 3 outfield spots, cheap and under team control for a bit. Hoping he's not the teams full time answer at CF. As a piece though, not a bad get.

Can play all 3 outfield spots, cheap and under team control for a bit. Hoping he's not the teams full time answer at CF. As a piece though, not a bad get.

How many players do we have that are out options. And the Tigers pick up another question mark! IE can this guy even be a 4th OF with the troops we have now? This like spinning a top and guessing how long it will stay up. Any body guess has a chance. This guy makes the team scrap the farm system as it is worthless.

Now watch him go out and have the mother of all spring trainings.

How many players do we have that are out options. And the Tigers pick up another question mark! IE can this guy even be a 4th OF with the troops we have now? This like spinning a top and guessing how long it will stay up. Any body guess has a chance. This guy makes the team scrap the farm system as it is worthless.

Now watch him go out and have the mother of all spring trainings.

So play him in Toledo and bring him up if needed. I really don't get why people are complaining about this deal.

So play him in Toledo and bring him up if needed. I really don't get why people are complaining about this deal.

I'm not really complaining. I guess I'm confused trading for some one that you have more than one of in your system all ready. Granted some are not all that well suited to play full time. But that is one of the problems of this team. It really does a poor job drafting players that it needs. And that's a complaint that needs to be fixed.

The guy had pretty good minor league numbers AND he hit .295/.351/.619 in 115 plate appearances in 2015 which wasn't that long ago.... I know he regressed last year but who's to say a change of scenery won't turn things on the up tick for this kid, I mean why is it bad to have options? IDK i guess I've seen a guy like JD come here after being cast off by the ASTROS of all teams and turn things around, who's to say Mahtook can't put things together? It's like everyone is just doom and gloom for the Tigers since we didn't trade everyone on the roster... ACTUALLY looking forward to what this season brings...

Mahtook had 67% of his PA's against LHP in 2015. That is complete opposite he would actually face as a regular. Be careful of outlier seasons as a basis of formulating opinions.

As far as the notion he might become another JD.

Career Minors

J.D. Martinez .330 BAVG .392 OBP .543 SLG .935 OPS 12.6 PA/BB

J. Jones (24) .269 BAVG .333 OBP .443 SLG .776 OPS 13.1 PA/BB

T. Collins (26) .260 BAVG .335 OBP .416 SLG .751 OPS 10.8 PA/BB

Mahtook (27) .272 BAVG .338 OBP .410 SLG .748 OPS 13.5 PA/BB

S. Moya (25) .254 BAVG .295 OBP .450 SLG .745 OPS 20.1 PA/BB

A. Gose (26) .252 BAVG .327 OBP .373 SLG .700 OPS 11.8 PA/BB

A .748 OPS in the minors is not very good.

JD was signed to a minor league contract and was awarded a MLB contract when his Spring Training performance justified it. Signing him to a minor league contract contained no risk.

Mahtook was traded for with cash and PTBNL. Mahtook is a 27-year old that doesn't even have 400 PAs at the MLB level. And there is a reason for that.

The point about Mahtook; he is not any better than what we currently have/had and we traded away something to get him, while designating Gose in the process. Devon Travis was traded to TOR to get Gose.

Devon Travis Minor Leagues

.317 BAVG .381 OBP .474 SLG .855 OPS 8.2 PA/BB

Now those are GREAT Minor league numbers for someone who last played full time in the minors at age 23 and as a 2B.

Last edited:
Back