Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers get CFer

Career Minors (age last year or last year in minors)

J.D. Martinez (25) .330 BAVG .392 OBP .543 SLG .935 OPS (.819 OPS MLB) 12.6 PA/BB

V. Martinez (24) .319 BAVG .391 OBP .487 SLG .879 OPS (.833 OPS MLB) 10.2 PA/BB

I. Kinsler (23) .299 BAVG .376 OBP .492 SLG .868 OPS (.795 OPS MLB) 11.0 PA/BB

J. Upton (19) .288 BAVG .373 OBP .481 SLG .854 OPS (.819 OPS MLB) 8.9 PA/BB

N. Castellanos (21) .303 BAVG .359 OBP .445 SLG .804 OPS (.741 OPS MLB) 12.7 PA/BB

A. Avila (22) .283 BAVG .373 OBP .425 SLG .798 OPS (.741 OPS MLB) 8.0 PA/BB

M. Cabrera (19) .286 BAVG .350 OBP .431 SLG .781 OPS (.961 OPS MLB) 12.2 PA/BB

J. Jones (24) .269 BAVG .333 OBP .443 SLG .776 OPS 13.1 PA/BB

T. Collins (26) .260 BAVG .335 OBP .416 SLG .751 OPS (.709 OPS MLB) 10.8 PA/BB

J. Hicks (26) .282 BAVG .330 OBP .418 SLG .748 OPS 16.4 PA/BB

M. Mahtook (27) .272 BAVG .338 OBP .410 SLG .748 OPS (.685 OPS MLB) 13.5 PA/BB

S. Moya (25) .254 BAVG .295 OBP .450 SLG .745 OPS (.745 OPS MLB) 20.1 PA/BB

A. Romine (26) .279 BAVG .354 OBP .367 SLG .721 OPS (.590 OPS MLB) 10.7 PA/BB

A. Gose (26) .252 BAVG .327 OBP .373 SLG .700 OPS (.656 OPS MLB) 11.8 PA/BB

J. McCann (24) .263 BAVG .313 OBP .373 SLG .686 OPS (.657 OPS MLB) 17.7 PA/BB

D. Machado (24) .246 BAVG .323 OBP .317 SLG .640 OPS (.563 OPS MLB) 10.6 PA/BB

J. Iglesias (22) .259 BAVG .308 OBP .319 SLG .627 OPS (.678 OPS MLB) 16.8 PA/BB

Based on the past 50 years of MLB and minor leagues, here are some basics\truths:

1. A player not a regular by age 25, almost never exceeds (5+ years as a regular).

2. Depending on age when first full time in MLB, a player almost never improves on his minor OPS.

3. Depending on age when first full time in MLB, a player never fully succeeds with a walk rate over 13.0 PA/BB.

So with Mahtook, you have a 27-year old with an unimpressive minor OPS and a career minor walk rate over 13.0. Those are three strikes. What metric suggests otherwise is beyond me.

Last edited:
Of course the normal people bitch and moan and call everything and everyone trash . And of course they use Mahtook's stats against RHP as a way to justify it . Look at his stats against LHP , which he will be seeing mostly as a platoon in CF , he mashes lefties . Good pick up for basically nothing

Decent starting rotation. Decent line up. We have top 10 guys at 1st, 2nd, LF and RF. and over the course of a long season we came in 2nd last year to a team that made it to the WS. I wasnt as down on this team as some....didnt really see the need to blow it all up with the state of KC, CHI and the twins right now. Were an older team with not a very good farm club so if we get off to a bad first half...then you can start dumping people for some prospects.

I clearly never meant he was a different version or even comparing him to JD IDK where you got that from... I literally was only saying a change of scenery and new coaching and outlook on things can turn things around for some guys. Give me this guy over Gose all day everyday we saw what a full year of Gose is and if you wanted to keep him around because you are hurt about the DT trade, well that is just moronic...

Last edited:
I clearly never meant he was a different version or even comparing him to JD IDK where you got that from... I literally was only saying a change of scenery and new coaching and outlook on things can turn things around for some guys. Give me this guy over Gose all day everyday we saw what a full year of Gose is and if you wanted to keep him around because you are hurt about the DT trade, well that is just moronic...

The thing that was moronic is getting Mahtook. Mahtook serves no purpose on this team. And at 27, he is nothing more than what he is already, AAAA outfielder.

And changes of scenery only means something if there was an attitude issue.

The thing that was moronic is getting Mahtook. Mahtook serves no purpose on this team. And at 27, he is nothing more than what he is already, AAAA outfielder.

And changes of scenery only means something if there was an attitude issue.

but he mashes lefties

/sarcasm

JD had an attitude issue??? Nope, pretty sure it was because he was an average mendoza line power hitting outfielder which they thought they had better younger guys which made JD expendable...

JD had an attitude issue??? Nope, pretty sure it was because he was an average mendoza line power hitting outfielder which they thought they had better younger guys which made JD expendable...

Wow. I wasn't suggesting at all that J.D. had an attitude issue.

Let me walk you through this. J.D. was a fabulous minor league baseball player (.935 OPS Career Minors). He started at the MLB at 23. After 3 seasons and 931 Plate Appearances of pretty much doing nothing, he was arbitration eligible. HOU had him in Spring Training in 2014 and he was hitting but .176 BAVG .235 SLG as of being released on 22 March. The Tigers signed him to a Minor League deal on 24 March. He started 2014 season at Toledo and wasn't called up until late April. Martinez altered his swing after the 2013 season. In just 17 games at Toeldo, he hit .308 with an astounding .846 slugging average comprised of 10 home runs, a triple and three doubles. It all came together on April 19 when, during a double-header, Martinez hit four home runs. Two days later he was in Detroit, where he's been ever since. Let's reiterate, J.D. was signed to a Minor League contract. No cash or players were given to HOU. There was no risk and it turned out to be high reward. But it happened largely because of a mechanical change, not due to a change of scenery. J.D.'s minor league stats still suggested he could hit, it was just making those adjustments.

Now to Mahtook. His minor league stats are not great (.747 OPS Career Minors). He started at MLB at 25 and spent 2 full seasons only to amass 311 Plate Appearances (46.3% against LHP). His MLB stats to date are not great, except hitting against LHP. Most teams do not see more than 30% of their games against LH Starters and DET is already laden with players that kill LHP. So why Mahtook? Mahtook is 27 and will be arbitration eligible after this season if he plays at all at the MLB level.

Gose, Moya and Collins are/were all out of options. Mahtook still has one left. Gose had to make the Opening Day rosters or he would have had to be designated for assignment (it was probably happening anyways). By trading cash and a PTBNL to TBR for Mahtook, they designated him now. The Tigers forced themselves to do what they had a couple of more months to do. While attitudinal, Gose was a liability, statistically he is a far better player than Mahtook.

Just a hunch here, but I see Upton, J.D. and Collins as your Opening Day OF with JaCoby Jones or Moya as the 4th OFer. Mahtook starts the season in TOL. Mahtook was obtained as an insurance for if Collins, Moya or JaCoby fail. Mahtook was not traded for with the idea that he would be a starter in DET. That is what is moronic. At the end of Spring Training, there is bound to be a J.D. or some other type player that is released by another team that DET can take a low risk/high reward on. Mahtook was not that player.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2017/01/who_is_mikie_mahtook.html#incart_river_index
Who is Mikie Mahtook? 5 things to know about the Tigers' newest outfielder.
Mlive

Found this;
http://motorcitybengals.com/2017/01/19/detroit-tigers-mikie-mahtook-impact/3/
Mahtook's Defense. Good UZR ratings at all 3 OF positions.

UZR is a very fluctuating stat and only useful with large sample sizes, which Mahtook does not have.

Here is the primer:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-fangraphs-uzr-primer/

Tigers | Detroit acquires Mikie Mahtook
Tampa Bay Rays OF Mikie Mahtook was acquired by the Detroit Tigers Wednesday, Jan. 18, in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations. Source: MLBRosterMoves

BHQ take:Mahtook might now be DET's leading candidate for Opening Day CF, allowing projected future CF JaCoby Jones to accumulate full-time AB in Triple-A. Mahtook blends above-average speed and above-average power, though he hasn't made enough contact to establish himself beyond a reserve role. ?Tom Kephart

Impact: Medium

BaseballHQ

Tigers | Detroit acquires Mikie Mahtook
Tampa Bay Rays OF Mikie Mahtook was acquired by the Detroit Tigers Wednesday, Jan. 18, in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations. Source: MLBRosterMoves

BHQ take:Mahtook might now be DET's leading candidate for Opening Day CF, allowing projected future CF JaCoby Jones to accumulate full-time AB in Triple-A. Mahtook blends above-average speed and above-average power, though he hasn't made enough contact to establish himself beyond a reserve role. ?Tom Kephart

Impact: Medium

BaseballHQ

That above average power only comes against LHP and really just in the last 2 years.

2013 vs RHP = 82.0 PA/HR
2014 vs RHP = 45.2 PA/HR
2015 vs RHP = 84.5 PA/HR
2016 vs RHP = 124.5 PA/HR

2013 vs LHP = 79.0 PA/HR
2014 vs LHP = 71.5 PA/HR
2015 vs LHP = 21.7 PA/HR
2016 vs LHP = 41.0 PA/HR

Back