Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers will NOT hit luxury tax in 2018

Rebbiv

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2017/01/27/detroit-tigers-payroll/97124988/

FYI..they paid a $4 Mil penalty in 2016 and are on tap to pay at least a $9 Mil penalty in 2017, and it could go as high as $12.75 Mil. 50% of anything over $197 Mil in 2018. They sit at about $182 Mil for the 25-man roster if they pick up Kinsler's option. They are pushing it close for the 40-man with current players that are under team control.

Odds are that J.D. is gone after this season. They cannot afford the Qualifying Offer and cannot afford a contract extension. Again, it made no sense not to trade him this offseason.

Lowe, K-Rod, Avila, J.D. and Pelfrey are all FAs and aren't counted towards the totals.

I see a fire sale coming if the Tigers aren't in it by mid-July.

Last edited:
How does MLB calculate payroll for teams that move players during the season. For example, the Tigers suck and move JD, Pelfrey, Lowe & Kinsler prior to the trade deadline. Do they "average" the salary? I guess my question is, if they move enough $ prior to the deadline can they get below the luxury tax threshold?

How does MLB calculate payroll for teams that move players during the season. For example, the Tigers suck and move JD, Pelfrey, Lowe & Kinsler prior to the trade deadline. Do they "average" the salary? I guess my question is, if they move enough $ prior to the deadline can they get below the luxury tax threshold?

Short answer is Yes.

Salaries are pro-rated for players traded in season. Believe it or not, the trade deadline most years is about game 105, or 65% of the season.

Keep in mind they project to be $30 Mil over for 2017. That is a lot to move by trade deadline, especially if they have paid over 50% of someone's salary by the trade. J.D.'s $11.75 Mil, at deadline, would save only a little over $4 Mil off the payroll.

They are probably not getting anyone to bite on the likes of Pelfrey, Lowe or Sanchez. That is just wishful thinking.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that either JV or Miggy would have to be moved to get under this year.

Back