Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spring Training games

Pelfrey Spring Trainings

2008 (13.0 IP) = 5.54 ERA 1.69 WHIP

2009 (21.6 IP) = 7.77 ERA 1.75 WHIP

2010 (26.3 IP) = 6.15 ERA 1.48 WHIP

2011 (18.3 IP) = 6.38 ERA 1.64 WHIP

2012 (26.0 IP) = 7.62 ERA 1.50 WHIP

2013 (18.3 IP) = 6.38 ERA 1.85 WHIP

2014 (17.6 IP) = 3.57 ERA 1.25 WHIP

2015 (5.0 IP) = 0.00 ERA 1.00 WHIP

2016 (15.3 IP) = 1.17 ERA 0.85 WHIP

2017 (3.6 IP) = 7.36 ERA 2.45 WHIP

So the real question. Even if Pelfrey put up a 1.17 ERA and 0.85 WHIP in Spring Training, would that mean he "earned" a starting spot?

I think Sanchez will be the #5.

My prediction

JV
Fulmer
Zimmerman
Norris
Sanchez

I think the Tigers best 5 are

JV
Fulmer
Zimmerman
Norris
Boyd

The Tigers have a guy on their roster that had a .057 boost in OBP and .211 boost in OPS after his year 25 season. It isn't likely that McCann "figures things out", but it's possible. Stranger things have happened.

Do tell. Who?

J.D. Martinez Career Minors

.330 BAVG .392 OBP .543 SLG .935 OPS 12.6 PA/BB

J. McCann Career Minors

.263 BAVG .313 OBP .373 SLG .686 OPS 17.7 PA/BB

So, of the two, which one has a better chance of "figuring it out" at the MLB level after 25?

I will point out that rarely, and I mean rarely, does a player improve on their minor league stats, especially given sample size.

I see we are in our own version of ST ... arguing and squabbling over ST and Minor-League stats.

it's just Reb being Reb...you know...he's always right and everyone else is always wrong.

I submit that you are even now making your own point valid. I don't get the sense that you are much inclined to consider what he offers the board; you appear be even pre-disposed to refute Rebbiv's information out of hand. Just my own observation.

I submit that you are even now making your own point valid. I don't get the sense that you are much inclined to consider what he offers the board; you appear be even pre-disposed to refute Rebbiv's information out of hand. Just my own observation.

I do like his point of view and the stats provides, most of the time.

I do not pay much attention to spring training games but I am a tad concern we have started 3-9. Glad this is just make believe baseball right now because we look awful.

Last edited:
And he's absolutely right.

Agree, his reply to the Val gal was also absolutely spot on as well..I can still remember the first spring training I went to as a kid many years ago, I was close enough to Gibson to hear every word he said as he was taking things over with Grammas, it was great..

Last edited:
Agree, his reply to the Val gal was also absolutely spot on as well..I can still remember the first spring training I went to as a kid many years ago, I was close enough to Gibson to hear every word he said as he was taking things over with Grammas, it was great..

Yep. First thing is did you have fun. Especially for a ST gain.. I remember a ST I saw, I believe Bradenton, FL - Detroit at Pittsburgh when Tram was manager. Tram, Gibby, and another (I forget who) were sitting on a small bench outside of the team bench and I could hear everything.. Lot of fun, last game with my Dad so it has meaning..

Last edited:
it's just Reb being Reb...you know...he's always right and everyone else is always wrong.

The problem here is the frame of reference. I know what I know and being "called out" to try and make it a "stump the chump" competition isn't about "he's always right and everyone else is always wrong". There was no question asked on why I believe that a player is who he is at 25, just an attack against that position. You don't really want to discuss the point of view, you want to criticize or belittle it.

45+ years of studying and researching baseball statistics doesn't make me anymore an authority than anyone else really. But their are certain "truths". Find me one player in all of baseball history who had 1,000 PAs in the minors and increased his OPS by 100 points at the MLB level, especially after turning 25. Given time and energy, you might be able to find 1, 2 maybe even 10 in all of baseball history. The statement is still a valid statement and trying to use J.D. Martinez as the example is missing the point entirely as to what is being presented. So exactly how is it that I am wrong here?

Back