Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Frankie Rodriguez might be hurt after WBC game

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Francisco Rodriguez went down in a heap late in the Venezuela/Italy game. Didn't look good. Would be a major hole for Tigers if he's out.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/218887674/martin-prado-venezuela-beat-italy/?topicid=209143850

http://detroitsportsnation.com/detroit-tigers/ddrysdale/detroit-tigers-francisco-rodriguez/91628/
Detroit Tigers closer Francisco Rodriguez injured at WBC. webvideo of play.
DSN

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2017/03/francisco_rodriguez_injury_wbc.html#incart_river_index
Francisco Rodriguez, Salvador Perez injured on wild play in World Baseball Classic.
Mlive

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...ez-venezuela-world-baseball-classic/99076304/
Tigers' Francisco Rodriguez suffers pulled groin for Venezuela today.
Freep

Last edited:
Never been a big fan of the WBC for this reason. Though a pulled groin can last a long long time. Especially as a pitcher.

Never been a big fan of the WBC for this reason. Though a pulled groin can last a long long time. Especially as a pitcher.

The timing literally couldn't be worse.

Not sure why we can't just play it in January or February in warm climates.

Injuries happen even in Spring Training. There is no indications that the WBC cause anymore injuries than what would normally happen.

WBC is a pretty good way for the better players to prepare for the season, IMO.

Injuries happen even in Spring Training. There is no indications that the WBC cause anymore injuries than what would normally happen.

The reason I wouldn't send my players is my people have what's in the best interest of my team...not what's best for team Venezuela or team Mexico.

The reason I wouldn't send my players is my people have what's in the best interest of my team...not what's best for team Venezuela or team Mexico.

I would suspect they have instructions from their ML team and how use to them.

Pitchers have 65 pitch count limits. There's a pool of pitchers to select from and once a pitcher is replaced, he cannot return to the team. Hitters? Who cares? What additional risk is there?

Pitchers have 65 pitch count limits. There's a pool of pitchers to select from and once a pitcher is replaced, he cannot return to the team. Hitters? Who cares? What additional risk is there?

65 seems like a lot when you consider Fullmer, and the guy he went against us had less than 50. And they both pitched well, especially the other guy. I doubt JV went to 65 in his last last start either.. Need to work your way up.

Last edited:
65 seems like a lot when you consider Fullmer, and the guy he went against us had less than 50. And they both pitched well, especially the other guy. I doubt JV went to 65 in his last last start either.. Need to work your way up.

Any pitcher who goes 50 or more has to rest for four days. That 65 is only for round one. And the limits go up with each successive round. No pitcher can appear in three consecutive days, no matter the pitch count.

As in 2013, pitchers will be limited to 65 pitches in the first round, with 80 and 95 pitches in subsequent rounds. In all cases, pitchers may complete a plate appearance in which they exceed those thresholds. Any pitcher who throws at least 50 pitches in a game must rest at least four days. A pitcher who throws 30 pitches must rest one day. No pitcher can throw on three consecutive days, regardless of pitch counts.

I would stipulate the opposite. Team Mexico or Venezula want their players to return the next Classic. They cannot afford to give the impression they would jeopardize a player's career over country pride.

Regardless, players are going to get hurt, with or without the WBC. They actually provide better effort and preparation in the WBC games than in "normal" ST games. No sense in chasing a red herring.

I would stipulate the opposite. Team Mexico or Venezula want their players to return the next Classic. They cannot afford to give the impression they would jeopardize a player's career over country pride.

Regardless, players are going to get hurt, with or without the WBC. They actually provide better effort and preparation in the WBC games than in "normal" ST games. No sense in chasing a red herring.

I was just saying that if I owned a team I would want my own staff making the decisions regarding players, based on the best interest of my team, not some other team.

I was just saying that if I owned a team I would want my own staff making the decisions regarding players, based on the best interest of my team, not some other team.

How? Texting? FaceTime? What decisions and when? "Don't send my guy to third on a single; I don't want him to get hit with the throw."

Jesus, I posted earlier that barring injuries this could turn out to be a surprise year, if our young trio of SP can perform up to snuff, and already I've heard rumblings about Miggy, Nicki C and now Frankie too? FML!

Jesus, I posted earlier that barring injuries this could turn out to be a surprise year, if our young trio of SP can perform up to snuff, and already I've heard rumblings about Miggy, Nicki C and now Frankie too? FML!

J.D. foot has put a limp on the season. Should that turn bad.Tigers have others that could break down. knees AA , V-Mart, shines Iglesias, neck Zimmerman. Hey it's sports. Better now than play off time.

J.D. foot has put a limp on the season. Should that turn bad.Tigers have others that could break down. knees AA , V-Mart, shines Iglesias, neck Zimmerman. Hey it's sports. Better now than play off time.

JD getting second opinion which typically isn't a good sign. Rumors are lisfranc which is typically a +/- 8 week recovery period

Yeah I hate being negative but it just seems like this is already the beginnings of another frustrating "if only X hadn't been hurt" kind of season.

Back