Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Frankie Rodriguez might be hurt after WBC game

To me, the one game play in game is not making the playoffs. It is a fucking joke. It was like when NHL had 16 teams making the playoffs. Big deal.

Nobody guarantees anything. I certainly like the odds of BOS and CLE. Both are deep at starting pitching and have enough offense/defense to compete. There rosters are not laden with aging vets. CLE made it last year without Brantley almost all year and lost Carrasco and Salazar late.

2016 Pythagorean W-L

BOS 98-64 .605
CLE 91-70 .565
TOR 91-71 .562
SEA 87-75 .537

BAL 84-78 .519
DET 83-78 .516
HOU 83-79 .512
TEX 82-80 .506

LAA 80-82 .494
NYY 79-83 .488
CHW 78-84 .481
KCR 77-85 .475
TBR 77-85 .475

OAK 70-92 .432
MIN 66-96 .407

It will be a miracle for OAK and/or MIN to finish above .500. Just like it would take a lot for BOS and/or CLE not to finish above .500. Maybe even throw in TOR. The rest is plus or minus 5 wins from above, without looking at acquisitions. We know DET didn't do crap in the offseason. They just got older. Hoping for better health is not a forecastable item.

The 2014 Giants won the WS from that one game wildcard position. It still counts. The fans won't care how their team made the postseason if they end up winning a championship. It's just about having that glimmer of hope/excitement.

Having said that I don't see the Tigers making the postseason anyway.

The 2014 Giants won the WS from that one game wildcard position. It still counts. The fans won't care how their team made the postseason if they end up winning a championship. It's just about having that glimmer of hope/excitement.

Having said that I don't see the Tigers making the postseason anyway.

For every rule, there is an exception. Look over the stats from the 2014 Giants and most will wonder how they even made the Wild Card, let alone advance to the WS.

That said. We have seen our Tigers make the playoffs for 4 seasons in a row. Anything is possible. For the season of 2008, DET had 8 players 32 or over, 6 of whom played a critical role (12 of 25, 31 or older). Verlander, M. Cabrera and Bonderman were 25 and under for that team. They only won 78 games and that was there year some were saying before the season that DET would score 1,000 runs.

Last season, DET had N. Castellanos, Fulmer, Boyd and D. Norris 25 and under. This year, it will just be Nick, Fulmer and D.Norris. Why do I mention this? Because a player's peak years is between 25-31. Your team, properly constructed, should have an ample amount of your players peaking any given year, not regression. And it is your star players you want peaking, because there is more upside. DET's star players are pretty much in the regression phase. While it is possible for them to have spikes (i.e. 2016 Kinsler), history shows vast majority of players start their decline after 31-32. And even some very good players from 25-32, are out of baseball by 36-37.

For this team succeed, they need Nick, Fulmer, Boyd and D. Norris to not only repeat from last season, but to improve even more (collectively, as a group). Like I said. There has to have a lot of things go right for this team to make the playoffs, even as a Wild Card.

Last edited:
Ugh that 2008 team. Don't remind of that fiasco :/ lol. I really thought we would tear through the league that season.

Ugh that 2008 team. Don't remind of that fiasco :/ lol. I really thought we would tear through the league that season.

It's the same as 2006 where no one thought we'd reach the world series.. I'm all for stats, and advanced metrics .. but it's March. Time for hope. The Tigers can be good team.. a playoff team. And why do think there is an expression "The exception to the rule?" Because the unthinkable happens..

It's the same as 2006 where no one thought we'd reach the world series.. I'm all for stats, and advanced metrics .. but it's March. Time for hope. The Tigers can be good team.. a playoff team. And why do think there is an expression "The exception to the rule?" Because the unthinkable happens..

Because no one forecasted Verlander and Zumaya making the team out of Spring and then having the success that they had.

Because no one forecasted Verlander and Zumaya making the team out of Spring and then having the success that they had.

That's the point isn't it? You just don't have an idea what might happen, who knew JV and Zumaya would do so well.. Maybe our young pitchers, Boyd and Norris do well? You never know.. I know JV was pitching nice before he got called up, but so was Boyd, in the minors..

That's the point isn't it? You just don't have an idea what might happen, who knew JV and Zumaya would do so well.. Maybe our young pitchers, Boyd and Norris do well? You never know.. I know JV was pitching nice before he got called up, but so was Boyd, in the minors..

Which goes to my point...that they need a lot to go right.

Which goes to my point...that they need a lot to go right.

Everyone needs a lot to go right.. Getting to a world series doesn't guarantee anything for Cleveland. They had a lot go right last season, which might not go right this season.

2005 on is a good example.. Tigers won 71 games in '05, then went to a WS in '06 -- and then missed the playoffs the next 4 years..

Back