Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Need ps3 help!

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
So, my PS3 is probably about 3 years old. I have 80gb of space left on it and have never had anything that would be considered an issue. All of my games play fine, with no freezes...until today.

I bought a new game. BRAND NEW. no scratches, no fingerprints, no fuzz or little hairs. I put it in and played for 10 minutes....FROZE. There was still audio from the background music, but the character talking stopped mid sentence. Couldn't use the ps button or any of the others on the controller. Picture was frozen and turning the system off took longer than usual. I restarted it and it did it to me again in a different spot in the game. Frustrated, I tried one more time and it did it to me once again. Only this time, it froze in the same place as it did during the first freeze.

Went back to gamestop and they gladly swapped out disks. Again, a brand new game. Never touched. Same problem. Happened four times. I called them and the guy on the phone told me that it's probably my ps3. I don't have any clue why it would be my hardware because I've never had problems. As we speak, my son has been playing his game for the past hour. No problems.

Anyone know what is going on? Or something I could try? And yes, my ps3 is clean. No dust. I take care of my stuff.

Its the new brand of games. The old playstations can't handle them many times.

Cod ghosts, madden 25, ncaa 14 all work fine

Have you checked forums for that game? Could be a common issue. I had that problem with Madden 2008 back in the day and it turned out to be a lot of people with the same issue.

Games work means it's not the PS3. Wouldn't be the first time game after game didn't work. Was it the same game twice, from game stop? They could have gotten a bad batch.

What game is it? It is the only game that is doing it?

Agree. It sounds like it might be a feature of that specific game. I'd google the specific title of that game and "freezing". There might be a chance that something that game does causes overheating where other games don't, so keeping your PS3 in open air and dust free might help.

. . . I am guessing you probably checked this, but any chance a firmware upgrade is needed to play this game successfully? That is the only scenario that would seem to fit your symptoms.

Last edited:
yes it's the only game that's doing it. I just checked and i found one topic where someone said it happened to them and they've tried two different disks. There were no replies to his post yet. And yes, my ps3 is in a nice open area. no dust. I keep my games clean.

The game just came out yesterday it's the final fantasy x/x-2 hd game.

I'll take it back to gamestop and try another one...again.

yes it's the only game that's doing it. I just checked and i found one topic where someone said it happened to them and they've tried two different disks. There were no replies to his post yet. And yes, my ps3 is in a nice open area. no dust. I keep my games clean.

I bet it has something to do with the game. I have FFXIII-2 and I've barely played it, but it seems to have a lot of little pauses where you wouldn't expect there to be a loading issue. I think Square Enix is just going downhill.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that! Square Enix has a history of sending out faulty discs and blaming hardware on it. You may get lucky and get a good one eventually but chances are slim getting it from the same vendor. Has the Vendor been receiving a lot of them back? If yes, ask for a refund and try a different vendor. According to the SE website, your system is compatible from a hardware standpoint. It is more than likely a quality control issue on their manufacturing side.

Weird, I had Final Fantasy XIII for the PS3 but couldn't finish the game because it stopped working. Weird.

I hated XIII. It was so nice to look at and the story was okay, but the gameplay sucked. Way too linear and each "new" area looked similar to the last.

I hated XIII. It was so nice to look at and the story was okay, but the gameplay sucked. Way too linear and each "new" area looked similar to the last.

No doubt. Maybe it was good I didn't get to finish it.

I have a feeling your PS3 is about to die. That would happen to me ONLY when I played MLB the show. Its the content of the disk and it would warm up too much and by the 3rd inning would just go to a black screen. Couple weeks later I got the yellow light of death. At that point you can pay $80 to reball it and it will be a short term fix....maybe 6-12 months.....or you can buy a new ps4 :D

I have a feeling your PS3 is about to die. That would happen to me ONLY when I played MLB the show. Its the content of the disk and it would warm up too much and by the 3rd inning would just go to a black screen. Couple weeks later I got the yellow light of death. At that point you can pay $80 to reball it and it will be a short term fix....maybe 6-12 months.....or you can buy a new ps4 :D

I just googled ps3 reball. Thanks for posting that term. If something were to happen to mine...I might be tempted to try reflowing it.

Edit:

2nd edit: 1st edit was bad info

Last edited:
Weird, I had Final Fantasy XIII for the PS3 but couldn't finish the game because it stopped working. Weird.

Same issue as OP. Long history of quality control issue's. It's sad really because they have some talented programers.

I just googled ps3 reball. Thanks for posting that term. If something were to happen to mine...I might be tempted to try reflowing it.

Edit:

2nd edit: 1st edit was bad info

Good luck with that.

So...just an update...

After all of your advice and reading on the internet, I concluded that my ps3 was probably on its last legs. I bought a new PS3 (the last of us 500gb bundle) and now the game works perfectly. Gave my son the old ps3 so he can still play his Kingdom Hearts. So, even if it craps out on him, I still have the new one.

Back