Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Today's example of Christians behaving well

Michchamp

Nuns in Columbia, PA build chapel on their land to prevent it from being seized to build a gas pipeline across it. Link. More than 300 people showed up to the dedication of the small rural chapel.

Nuns in Columbia, PA build chapel on their land to prevent it from being seized to build a gas pipeline across it. Link. More than 300 people showed up to the dedication of the small rural chapel.

come on ladies....Jesus supplied us with natural gas...he would want us to use it to keep us warm.

Did they hire a black dude named Schmidt to build it?

Did they hire a black dude named Schmidt to build it?

Well, indirectly. they hired a racist Italian American contractor named Dominic Rossi of Rossi Construction Co. to build it. Schmidt worked for him.

things started out rough, but during the course of building the chapel, the compassion of the nuns showed Rossi the error of his ways, and everyone came together and were happy and free of all prejudices by the time it was built. Starring Susan Sarandon as Sister Fischer, Robert DeNiro as Dom Rossi, and Morgan Freeman as Schmidt.

Well, indirectly. they hired a racist Italian American contractor named Dominic Rossi of Rossi Construction Co. to build it. Schmidt worked for him.

things started out rough, but during the course of building the chapel, the compassion of the nuns showed Rossi the error of his ways, and everyone came together and were happy and free of all prejudices by the time it was built. Starring Susan Sarandon as Sister Fischer, Robert DeNiro as Dom Rossi, and Morgan Freeman as Schmidt.

Cool.

Sidney Poitier won the Oscar playing Schmidt in Lillies of the Field in 1963.

The character's name was actually Homer Smith, but the German nuns he built the chapel for all called him "Schmidt."

Cool.

Sidney Poitier won the Oscar playing Schmidt in Lillies of the Field in 1963.

The character's name was actually Homer Smith, but the German nuns he built the chapel for all called him "Schmidt."

oh. I figured you were going for some movie I had never heard of, and MAN, that plot is spot on.

but I think my fictional plot could work too.

Your plot synopsis and the characters you described are not entirely unlike the original movie, which was generally feel good comedy.

I think Morgan Freeman might be a little old to be Schmidt or Smith because of the physical nature of the character, although Denzel Washington who is getting up there just won an Oscar playing a pretty physical character in Fences.

In a remake of Lillies of the Field at the top of my wish list for Homer Smith would actually be Will Smith.

I also think it's time for a remake of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, also with Will Smith in the leading role as Jeff Smith.

Your plot synopsis and the characters you described are not entirely unlike the original movie, which was generally feel good comedy.

I think Morgan Freeman might be a little old to be Schmidt or Smith because of the physical nature of the character, although Denzel Washington who is getting up there just won an Oscar playing a pretty physical character in Fences.

In a remake of Lillies of the Field at the top of my wish list for Homer Smith would actually be Will Smith.

I also think it's time for a remake of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, also with Will Smith in the leading role as Jeff Smith.

As long as he doesn't have any scenes where he's about to cry. I saw Collateral Beauty and I get it, Will Smith can look like he's about to cry for as long as you need him to hold that look. Very impressive, but enough is enough.

As long as he doesn't have any scenes where he's about to cry. I saw Collateral Beauty and I get it, Will Smith can look like he's about to cry for as long as you need him to hold that look. Very impressive, but enough is enough.

See for me, back in the 90's I watched a lot of the Fresh Prince of Bellaire after school, and also saw him in Independence Day. Very impressive, but that was more than enough.

Haven't seen a movie he's in since!

See for me, back in the 90's I watched a lot of the Fresh Prince of Bellaire after school, and also saw him in Independence Day. Very impressive, but that was more than enough.

Haven't seen a movie he's in since!

It was burnin' in my room like an oven.
My bed, soaked with sweat,
and man, I was buggin'
I checked the clock, it had stopped at twelve-thirty.
It had melted it was so darn hot, and I was thirsty.

I wanted something cool, to quench my thirst.
I thought to myself, "Yo! This heat is the worst."
But when I got downstairs, I noticed something was wrong.
I was home, all alone, but the TV was on!

It was burnin' in my room like an oven.
My bed, soaked with sweat,
and man, I was buggin'
I checked the clock, it had stopped at twelve-thirty.
It had melted it was so darn hot, and I was thirsty.

I wanted something cool, to quench my thirst.
I thought to myself, "Yo! This heat is the worst."
But when I got downstairs, I noticed something was wrong.
I was home, all alone, but the TV was on!

parents just don't understand

parents just don't understand

They left the Keys to the brand new Porsche!
Would they mind, hmmm, welll, of course not.
I'll just take it for a little spin.
Maybe show it off to a couple of friends.
I'll just cruise around the neighborhood.
Well, maybe I should.

oh.

hey. remember his other hit? "You saw my blinker, bitch" that was a pretty good rap music song

A petition signed by more than 1,000 Catholics asks church officials to reconsider a decision banning a child of a same-sex couple from attending a local Catholic grade school. (link)

Well look at that; Christians following the teachings of Christ (for once) and being tolerant and inclusive of those different than them.

The actions of the local Church in this story could of course go under the "Christians behaving badly" thread, but I'm trying to focus on the positive today, and not the bad.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/i...d-far-provide-aid-to-asylum-seeking-families/
If CBP cannot sustain this influx of migrants with more than 60,000 employees and an annual budget north of $16.5 billion, I wanted to see how a seat-of-its-pants operation like the Humanitarian Respite Center got along.

?I truly trust that what we?re doing is what God is asking us to do,? said Sister Norma, as she stood next to a makeshift dining hall filled with hundreds of migrants eating chicken soup.

For Sister Norma, it?s faith and not politics that keeps her motivated to serve in the midst of chaos, confusion, and the constant cacophony of crying children. She recalled a day recently when just her and a single staff member were at the facility and a bus from Immigration and Customs Enforcement pulled up in front of her facility and dropped off a load of recently released migrants.

?She said, ?Sister, what are we going to do??? Norma recalled her staff member asking. ?I said, ?You and I. We?re going to take care of it.?? A little while later, a group of ten to fifteen men arrived to volunteer their help. ?I thought when we started in 2014, it was just for a couple of days,? she said. ?We?re still at it a couple of years later?I don?t know how long it?s going to continue. It?s not up to me. If there is a family that arrives and needs help, I?m here, and if I have the strength, I?m going to help.?

Christian churches of various denominations are using charity funds to pay off medical debts for people in their communities. (link).

Article is a little vague, as I read it quickly, since the dollars don't add up. but I gather the church & the Non-profit cited in the article are settling the debts at a portion of the nominal amounts due.

Too bad they have to do this in the first place...

Back