Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trades

Yes I believe it is less likely that Kinsler will fold under the pressure since he has been there before. Is it a guarantee? No obviously not. It's still baseball, and players can go cold at any time. It was also more a shot at Fielder than anything else since he was absolutely brutal in the playoffs for us. Kinsler has a more proven track record there:

Fielder: 39 G, 164 PAs, 28 H, 5 HR, 11 RBI, 14 BB, 32 SO, .194/.287/.333
Kinsler: 34 G 148 PAs, 38 H, 4 HR, 20 RBI, 23 BB 16 SO, .311/.422/.484

If Miggy and Vmart do their thing, and AJax and Hunter don't go completely AWOL, I think the offense will be in decent enough shape. JD Martinez could be a real asset as well if he doesn't fall flat on his face in the second half. Would still love an upgrade somewhere though, just want more bullpen help as the priority.

In the playoffs, you generate offense against good pitching by being patient and/or drawing walks. 2014 Kinsler is not drawing walks. J.D. Martinez is not drawing walks. In fact, this team (2014) draws less walks and sees less pitches per plate appearances than the 2013 team. So I will remain cautious.

In the playoffs, you generate offense against good pitching by being patient and/or drawing walks. 2014 Kinsler is not drawing walks. J.D. Martinez is not drawing walks. In fact, this team (2014) draws less walks and sees less pitches per plate appearances than the 2013 team. So I will remain cautious.

That's a fair point. What do you think about a guy like Seth Smith? Left handed bat, having a nice year for the Padres. Has a pretty decent walk rate as well.

That's a fair point. What do you think about a guy like Seth Smith? Left handed bat, having a nice year for the Padres. Has a pretty decent walk rate as well.

Seth Smith

2011-2013 Away

.342 OBP .445 SLG .787 OPS 9.8 PA/BB

2011-213 vs RHP

.354 OBP .468 SLG .822 OPS 9.7 PA/BB

Career Away

.337 OBP .425 SLG .762 OPS 9.9 PA/BB

Career vs RHP

.362 OBP .492 SLG .854 OPS 10.3 PA/BB

Smith is an ideal platoon corner OFer and fit for the Tigers. Great offense against RHP. Cannot hit LHP, but we got Davis for that. And he plays an above average LF (5.9 Career UZR/150). What isn't there to like? And he is signed through 2016 with a club option for 2017.

Seth Smith

2011-2013 Away

.342 OBP .445 SLG .787 OPS 9.8 PA/BB

2011-213 vs RHP

.354 OBP .468 SLG .822 OPS 9.7 PA/BB

Career Away

.337 OBP .425 SLG .762 OPS 9.9 PA/BB

Career vs RHP

.362 OBP .492 SLG .854 OPS 10.3 PA/BB

Smith is an ideal platoon corner OFer and fit for the Tigers. Great offense against RHP. Cannot hit LHP, but we got Davis for that. And he plays an above average LF (5.9 Career UZR/150). What isn't there to like? And he is signed through 2016 with a club option for 2017.

I heard his name brought up somewhere a few days ago. He does seem like a nice fit, but I didn't realize he had just signed an extension with San Diego. Wonder if he's completely off the market now?

One can always hope. Maybe a package deal for Smith and Benoit could be worked out

Anyone of Benoit, Huston Street, or Chad Qualls,

and a trade for Zobrist and Jake McGee.

Which minor leaguers and/or from the roster is moved I have no idea, but imagine, Ver Hagen, Travis, Moya, would be some of the players moved.

Anyone of Benoit, Huston Street, or Chad Qualls,

and a trade for Zobrist and Jake McGee.

Which minor leaguers and/or from the roster is moved I have no idea, but imagine, Ver Hagen, Travis, Moya, would be some of the players moved.

Qualls feels like Veras from last season. 35 years old and has figured something out in the last year. He doesn't get left-handers out but used correctly that damage can be minimized.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/6034/chad-qualls

With how he has pitched for the last 24 months or so I'd be okay giving him the 7th inning and Houston may as well sell high on him.

Houston probably asking for Turley or Knebel along with a position player prospect they like.

I just don't see the juice for Zobrist. Tampa Bay doesn't want to declare a full rebuild and he is an important part of that team. I think he sells the programs before games in addition to playing every position.

Last edited:
Qualls feels like Veras from last season. 35 years old and has figured something out in the last year. He doesn't get left-handers out but used correctly that damage can be minimized.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/6034/chad-qualls

With how he has pitched for the last 24 months or so I'd be okay giving him the 7th inning and Houston may as well sell high on him.

Houston probably asking for Turley or Knebel along with a position player prospect they like.

I just don't see the juice for Zobrist. Tampa Bay doesn't want to declare a full rebuild and he is an important part of that team. I think he sells the programs before games in addition to playing every position.

I wanted Zobrist at least 2 if not 3 years ago. We can give them DFK the poor man's Zobrist and make Spock happy.

I wanted Zobrist at least 2 if not 3 years ago. We can give them DFK the poor man's Zobrist and make Spock happy.

Smyly, Thompson, Turley, Ray (any two of those three), Moya, Perez and McCann for Price, Zobrist and Oviedo.

Price gets Scherzer's money at the end of the season on a contract extension. Regardless you have him for next year and the 2015 WS quest.

Verlander or Porcello would need to move to the BP for the postseason. Lincecum did it as a Cy Young winner. Would JV be able to embrace it for the team?

Zobrist presents a problem. The moment you trade for him he becomes your best everyday option at 3B.

It gives them four players who could be on their roster today and two pieces for the future. Oviedo is a throw-in. 32 years old - can take him out of the deal I don't think Tampa would want less with him not in it. I'm sure they have some offers for Price already.

Back