Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dirks out 12

After I applied for and passed the written tests to become a county corrections officer in 83, I was then obligated to take a physical, which involved going to a clinic where literally every bone in my body was x-rayed until I glowed in the dark. I received a rejection letter in the mail ~ a week later, b/c the x-rays revealed that I had a congenital disk defect in my spine.

All those x-rays for a job that started out @ ~30K annually.

Yet MLB franchises like the Tigers invest MILLIONS in players, who often have injuries that somehow "elude" detection until the players are unable to perform any longer. You would think that they would ALSO be thoroughly x-rayed, if not also MRIed before signing them to any major or minor league contracts.

Last edited:
Dirks starting his (2nd) rehab assignment tonight, hitting leadoff and playing left field for the Whitecaps.

I hope he comes back soon, at the very least we need his defense even if his bat doesnt help much. However, if he can maintain a decent OBP, id like to see him leading off vs RHP when he gets back (or hitting 2nd.)

Next step in Dirks' rehab could be Triple-A Toledo.
DETROIT -- Andy Dirks could be in line to have his rehab assignment transferred to Triple-A Toledo later this week. The Tigers outfielder, who had surgery on his back, went 2-for-7 in his first two games for low Class A West Michigan before entering what is expected to be his final home start for the Whitecaps on Sunday.

The Whitecaps hit the road Monday for Lake County, Ohio, just outside Cleveland. They'll play three games there before returning to Michigan for four games against Lansing next weekend. However, Toledo -- a relatively short drive from Lake County -- returns home Thursday for a 10-game, 11-day homestand.

Dirks began his rehab assignment on Friday, going 1-for-3 as the Whitecaps' left fielder before going 1-for-4 as their DH on Saturday. He can rehab for up to 18 more days before the Tigers have to make a move with him. If he needs longer than that, they could use a Minor League option on him.
Tigers official site

This is a sign of things to come. Dirks is a nice guy, but he's too injury prone to rely on.

Neck, back, these are serious, hamstring...not so bad but still a harbinger of things to come.

I know we're strapped in the OF but Dirks has been below average 2 of 3 years. I hope in '15, we sign a FA so we don't have to rely on Andy Dirks.

I know we're strapped in the OF but Dirks has been below average 2 of 3 years. I hope in '15, we sign a FA so we don't have to rely on Andy Dirks.

I really hope so. Honestly, given how terrible Nick's defense is at third, it might be worth giving him another shot in the OF next year and seeing how bad he is there. We slide Suarez to third and Iggy starts at SS again. Not the best idea i know, but we need almost a whole new outfield next year...

There are no FA corner OF that are worth signing. That was why several of us wanted DD to trade for one.

I really hope so. Honestly, given how terrible Nick's defense is at third, it might be worth giving him another shot in the OF next year and seeing how bad he is there. We slide Suarez to third and Iggy starts at SS again. Not the best idea i know, but we need almost a whole new outfield next year...

If Nick can do what Trout did and add about 10-15 lbs of pure muscle by working his ass off in the off season, then maybe he can provide the power we have been lacking.

If Nick can do what Trout did and add about 10-15 lbs of pure muscle by working his ass off in the off season, then maybe he can provide the power we have been lacking.

Yeah he definitely needs to fill out some.

Platooning is something we should really look at. Oakland does it with multiple positions, and they score a lot of runs doing it. It has made scrubs like Stephen Vogt and Brandon Moss look like All-Star hitters. The problem is, Ausmus doesn't seem to grasp the notion of a true platoon. He starts Davis against rightys sometimes, which begs the question.. what's the point? A true platoon could have us putting up a .800 OPS at any given position, if the players are right. A lefty to platoon strictly with Davis in CF would bring a lot of value.. Davis is over .800 OPS in his career vs. Leftys, I believe.

Back