Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Congrats J.D. Martinez!

To bad we can't sell high on J.D. Martinez and get a solid pitcher for the bullpen. Maybe the Padres would be interested.

Last edited:
looking at the Tigers roster next year the last thing they need to do is trade away a OF that can hit.
Yeah, he is the RF next year. He is really playing well. I do not see him leveling off

Why did Houston cut him? Don't know what his contract is but we need to keep him! I love how he came back from striking out 4 times Friday night and getting 6 hits the next 2 days.

I think being around Victor and Miggy helps. 2nd half will tell us a lot.

G.. Thanks for the link... Interesting stuff seeing a player reinvent himself..

Last edited:
G.. Thanks for the link... Interesting stuff seeing a player reinvent himself..

Haven't read anything but I assume Joyner is the one that got him to change his approach at the plate, it was pretty noticeable.

Haven't read anything but I assume Joyner is the one that got him to change his approach at the plate, it was pretty noticeable.

He actually made the changes in winter ball. He went to ST excited to prove the changes but it didn't click right away.

I thought his stance and swing changed from in may?

I thought his stance and swing changed from in may?

Watch the little video in the link which was recorded before ST in Houston. JD has talked about in interviews here.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm sure Joyner has helped (he has credited the patience Joyner preaches) as well as being around two of the best hitters in baseball.

Watch the little video in the link which was recorded before ST in Houston. JD has talked about in interviews here.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm sure Joyner has helped (he has credited the patience Joyner preaches) as well as being around two of the best hitters in baseball.

whaaaaaaaaaaat. Nobody is listening to Joyner if he's preaching patience haha.

whaaaaaaaaaaat. Nobody is listening to Joyner if he's preaching patience haha.

Young guy like JD will listen. AJax tries to listen. Avila listens. Cabrera already does it. Castellanos has openly said Joyner has helped him to wait for his pitch and he's been doing better with it. VMart doesn't need too much coaching. Kinsler would do well to listen but he seems like a "I got it figured out already" kind of guy to me. Suarez can take a walk.

Detroit is 2nd in baseball (trailing the Angels by .001) in OBP. And they have a respectable .41 BB/K ratio. They aren't the A's but nobody except Oakland is (.54). They are number two in K% so they don't get as many walks but they get a lot of hits getting their pitch (3rd in MLB in hits - 22nd in walks).

Sorry if that is too elaborate if you were just trying to be funny about the Tigers striking out too much.

Not striking out too much, but not taking any pitches at all is what I'd guess he meant. I bet we lead baseball in first and second pitch outs.

Not striking out too much, but not taking any pitches at all is what I'd guess he meant. I bet we lead baseball in first and second pitch outs.

I was looking for pitches seen but I'm too lazy and took the first fangraph stats that seemed to suit my support Joyner. Cherry picker am I...

With complete faith I can say our coaches haven't taught him a thing..

2014 DET Offense AL Rankings

1st in BABIP

3rd in % of Pitches Swung at

4th in First Pitch Swinging

11th in Pitches per Plate Appearance

11th in Walk % (meaning they don't walk a lot)

13th in SO % (meaning they don't strike out a lot)

2014 DET Offense AL Rankings

1st in BABIP

3rd in % of Pitches Swung at

4th in First Pitch Swinging

11th in Pitches per Plate Appearance

11th in Walk % (meaning they don't walk a lot)

13th in SO % (meaning they don't strike out a lot)

Is that 1st in terms of BABIP (number of balls in play) or BABIP %?

Back