Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers interested in + now with agreement in place for Joakim Soria

When I personally said "Recent", I was referring back to the end of 2013 up until now.

I am not a fan of Mike Morse. After a hot April/May, Morse has been below average ever since (more in line with his career norms).

I want long term consistent production. A 32-year old mediocre OF does not do it for me, regardless of cost. Morse is a free swinger, who hardly walks. Additionally, he is worse than Delmon Young when it comes to playing the OF.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/2015-mlb-free-agents.html

There isn't a Ellsbury/Choo/Granderson type Free Agent.

You could sign a Chase Headly and move Castellanos to LF. Or even make Headley your LFer.

Maybe we can get lucky and have TBR decline Zobrist's option. He would be ideal for DET.

We are likely looking at a Davis, Jackson, Dirks, Martinez OF next season.

I liked signing Nathan. I also hated adding no depth around him.. so when Nathan implodes, there is absolutely nobody to help fix it. Chamberlain has been a diamond in the rough. I expect him to put up completely different and worse stats next season, though. He's never been very good.

Joba Had Tommy john June 16th 2011. Add 14 months of rehab 1/3 of that recovery time 2/3 rehab. It basically takes 12 months or more to get things right after coming back. Wiped out most of the 2012 season.

Joba comes back Aug 2012 needs 1 year plus to get his Bionic arm dialed back in. He pretty much sucks the rest of the 2012 season

Still sucks the 2013 season until July

July 2013 numbers are as follows

Games 7
IP 6
Hits 5
ER 1
S0 4
BB 4
July ERA 1.50

August Numbers 2013

Games 11
IP 11
Hits 9
ER 3
SO 7
BB 6
August ERA 2.45

He has a terrible September his walk totals are off the charts. The Yankees give up on him in the off season and let him go.

December 12th 2013 Dave Dombrowski waves his magic wand once again gets Joba Chamberlain to sign a 1 year 2.5 Million deal plus performance bonuses.

This turns out to be one of the best if not the best GM moves of the off season. Dombrowski once again proves everyone wrong on this board including myself with this masterpiece.

Joba Has had 1 outstanding season in 2008. He was flipped flopped by the (Joba rules bullshit = Yankees innings limit and trying to make him a starter the flip flopping to the pen after the 2008 season)

Last edited:
Did DFK do a "bad touch" on your dog? You seem to have a lot of resentment for him.

In the spirit of your angst I'll put up 10 Buffalo Wild Wings (on a Thursday night) that DFK doesn't get DFA when (if) Dirks comes back.

Not really against DK himself, but against how he is generally used. He is not a good baseball player, yet he often gets overused or hit higher in the lineup than he ever should be for unfathomable reasons. IMO his time of usefullness is just about used up since his only asset was his defense which is now in decline. He should not have been brought back last time he was DFA'd, and I'll be glad when we cut ties.

When Dirks comes back, if its not DK who goes, who do you think It'll be?

Not really against DK himself, but against how he is generally used. He is not a good baseball player, yet he often gets overused or hit higher in the lineup than he ever should be for unfathomable reasons. IMO his time of usefullness is just about used up since his only asset was his defense which is now in decline. He should not have been brought back last time he was DFA'd, and I'll be glad when we cut ties.

When Dirks comes back, if its not DK who goes, who do you think It'll be?

They are carrying an extra pitcher in the BP and I could see one of those going to the DL or being sent down by the time Dirks is ready. If I was Ausmus I would want DK on the roster.

I think he is a good baseball player. He understands the game as well as anyone and does his job wherever they put him. You know he is a manager's delight, especially when he hits, which he has been doing.

I'll take a DK over Danny Cleary any day.

When I personally said "Recent", I was referring back to the end of 2013 up until now.

And those were the only transactions that I reviewed.

Fister trade...bad
Alex Gonzalez...bad

All else...great (JD Martinez and Kinsler propel it above good to this point). The guys who get called up and who were pegged to take new roles are part of his "recent" moves. He controls those decisions.

Do you still stand by your statement that his "recent" track record reflects that of a GM who is going to choke at the deadline?

And those were the only transactions that I reviewed.

Fister trade...bad
Alex Gonzalez...bad

All else...great (JD Martinez and Kinsler propel it above good to this point). The guys who get called up and who were pegged to take new roles are part of his "recent" moves. He controls those decisions.

Do you still stand by your statement that his "recent" track record reflects that of a GM who is going to choke at the deadline?

Yes, considering that the only two pieces we got last year were Iglesias and Veras. Only one of those guys was an upgrade, and that would be Veras. Still traded two decent prospects to get him. For a championship contender, that's not the kind of splash you need to make in order to strengthen your push. Billy Beane showed last week how a contending team is supposed to improve. Granted Detroit doesn't have any "Top" prospects, they do have Robbie Ray, Andy Dirks, and even J.D. Martinez at this point. I know J.D. is on fire, but he likely wont keep up THIS pace. Devon Travis is another option, because Kinsler will keep him blocked for a few years anyway. I don't want to trade anyone of value for a reliever.. screw that. The relievers need to be add-ons, not the headliner.

If we are dealing, we need to get a starting pitcher instead of a bullpen arm. Smyly in the pen would be as good or better than any acquisition we make, and it would most certainly be cheaper as well. I know it might be pricey, but Cole Hamels would be a huge get. We'd be able to give them Ray, Dirks, and any other minor league outfielders they'd want. They have desperate need for outfield help and offense in general. A package of Ray,Dirks, Travis and Jake Thompson may get that deal done. If not Hamels, then maybe Cliff Lee. Lee may even be cheaper considering his injury this year. I don't think we have what it takes to get David Price, however lol.

Last edited:
If we are dealing, we need to get a starting pitcher instead of a bullpen arm. Smyly in the pen would be as good or better than any acquisition we make, and it would most certainly be cheaper as well. I know it might be pricey, but Cole Hamels would be a huge get. We'd be able to give them Ray, Dirks, and any other minor league outfielders they'd want. They have desperate need for outfield help and offense in general. A package of Ray,Dirks, Travis and Jake Thompson may get that deal done. If not Hamels, then maybe Cliff Lee. Lee may even be cheaper considering his injury this year. I don't think we have what it takes to get David Price, however lol.

I'm not against going after a starting pitcher actually. I agree I think Smyly goes back to the pen in October anyway, and we are going to need a replacement for Scherzer next season assuming he goes elsewhere. I don't know if Ray will be ready for that job or not.

Wish it were possible to land David Price lol.

I'm not against going after a starting pitcher actually. I agree I think Smyly goes back to the pen in October anyway, and we are going to need a replacement for Scherzer next season assuming he goes elsewhere. I don't know if Ray will be ready for that job or not.

Wish it were possible to land David Price lol.

Can Smyly go to the pen in October? He's likely to get shut down completely by then unless he transitions to the BP much earlier. He's 1 start away or so from his innings record in the majors and about 2 starts from his career mark.

Can Smyly go to the pen in October? He's likely to get shut down completely by then unless he transitions to the BP much earlier. He's 1 start away or so from his innings record in the majors and about 2 starts from his career mark.

Where did you hear this?

His innings per year since turning pro:

2011-126
2012-117 (started relief work)
2013- 76 (all BP work)
2014-87.2 (projected for 158.2 at current rate)

The reason he didn't have more innings wasn't because his arm got tired. They just didn't use him as a starter the last year and a half before this year. Now that he's stretched out I don't see him being shut down.

I doubt Smyly goes to the pen. The Tigers organization views him as a starter plus he is the only LHP they have in the rotation

Last edited:
Imo, LHP in the rotation is overrated. You have to get that perfect scenario where you face a team with more LHB than RHB. Now in the case where a team removes a good LHB for a poor RHB, that's an advantage. But I still say it's overrated.

Edit: unless of course the LHB who was taken out can't hit lefties then I stand by the overrated comment..

Last edited:
Who gives a shit about RHP/LHP starters. Most right handed starters can get both out, so it's useless to isolate lefty's. Those guys are most useful in situational baseball. There are a lot more right handed pitchers that can get leftys out than there are leftys who can get rightys out.

I doubt Smyly goes to the pen. The Tigers organization views him as a starter plus he is the only LHP they have in the rotation

Why not? Smyly will not be starting postseason games anyway, and it'd be smart to get him back in the swing of things in the bullpen before/if we get there. We were going to give Scherzer all that money, so it would actually make sense to acquire a big time starter this season and let Max walk.

Who gives a shit about RHP/LHP starters. Most right handed starters can get both out, so it's useless to isolate lefty's. Those guys are most useful in situational baseball. There are a lot more right handed pitchers that can get leftys out than there are leftys who can get rightys out.

DD has openly stated he cares about having a lefty in the rotation. So there is one person who gives a shit.

It is far from useless. KC had Valencia batting cleanup the other day because Smyly was on the mound. KC is 26th in baseball against lefties and 13th against righties.

You are correct about the split meaning less for the right handers which is why left handed starters that can do both are a commodity. Miguel Cabrera was the first RH hitter to win back to back batting titles since 2000. The reason is because righty lefty matchups make a difference.

Look at Drew's splits this season, faces almost 3 times as many RHB and isn't effective getting them out, .900+ OPS. So maybe DD gives a shit but he shouldn't..

Yes, considering that the only two pieces we got last year were Iglesias and Veras. Only one of those guys was an upgrade, and that would be Veras. Still traded two decent prospects to get him. For a championship contender, that's not the kind of splash you need to make in order to strengthen your push. Billy Beane showed last week how a contending team is supposed to improve. Granted Detroit doesn't have any "Top" prospects, they do have Robbie Ray, Andy Dirks, and even J.D. Martinez at this point. I know J.D. is on fire, but he likely wont keep up THIS pace. Devon Travis is another option, because Kinsler will keep him blocked for a few years anyway. I don't want to trade anyone of value for a reliever.. screw that. The relievers need to be add-ons, not the headliner.

Dude. So you say "recent" was since the end of the 2013 season then you bring up the Veras trade. You realize you are not staying on point, right? Vasquez and Paulino? I don't feel bad about losing either one. Veras wasn't the guy they needed and that was apparent with trading time left.

I want to call you bad names for saying a reliever shouldn't be the headliner. This team's most bitched about weakness has been the pen. Don't go half-assed again on it! You need four badass relievers in October. The Tigers had 2.5 last year and it ended their season.

Back