Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trades

SouthOfMackinac

Second half is approaching. Who are the players you would like to see the Tigers go after and who are you willing to part with.

Everyone here is smart enough to not post a bag of ball trades for Tulowitzki.

Ben Zobrist has a 7.5M team option in 2015. I wish Tampa Bay had stayed in the tank so they'd have considered parting with him. I think the cost will be too high but that is the guy the playoff roster needs to replace Romine and DFK. Because I think you could keep him here he is a guy I would be willing to part with Thompson or Ray to get.

Huston Street and Benoit from San Diego - they don't need these guys. Street is pitching out of his mind this season and has a 7M option for 2015. Use them for the stretch run and move one in the off-season. The problem is that teams are making money these days with the new TV contract so the Padres can still turn a profit and have two high-priced luxuries that an also-ran used to have to sell off cheap. I don't think the Tigers have enough mid-level prospects to accomplish this and I wouldn't part with Thompson for them. I would be willing to trade Ray in this deal just so Fister could impact the playoffs in a positive way for the Tigers in 2014.

Ray, McCann (Padres are catching deficient and McCann will be in the majors in 2015 I think), Moya, Knebel, J. Miller, C. Smith, B. Hardy. All guys I would put on the table - I'd send any four if I got both relievers for this season and next. This would mean Illitch blessing a higher payroll for two years, but I think it would address the biggest barrier to a world series in 2014.

Mike Aviles - 3.5M option for 2015 so Cleveland wouldn't be likely to give him up to us even though their season is done. They did hand us Peralta under similar circumstances a few years ago but I think they saw him as blocking their younger player's development at the time. He could replace DK and Romine also. I would take Ray and Thompson off the table but consider any two and possibly three others in the organization. The team needs a new Swiss Army Knife.

Before you call me an idiot (which I know already) please post your trade thoughts so I can chastise you too. I contend THIS is the season to win a ring. The players I'm proposing we would have next season to give the best chance of a two-year window. After that this team will need re-tooling.

I'd like to see the Tigers package Ray, Krol, and a scrub backup infielder/ancient shortstop for Doug Fister.

I'd like to see the Tigers package Ray, Krol, and a scrub backup infielder/ancient shortstop for Doug Fister.

I see what you did there.

Porcello and Smyly aren't doing it for you?

How many wins do you think the Tigers have been cost by not having Fister? Remember that Smyly is 2nd in baseball in most outings getting two runs or less in support even though he doesn't have enough starts to qualify as a Starter. He has basically fallen victim to the same thing that happened to Doug in Detroit and Seattle.

I don't think Washington would take that trade though...hee hee

What about someone like Papelbon. Owed big money and Phillies are terrible. If we ate the money owed, he probably wouldn't cost much at all.

I see what you did there.

Porcello and Smyly aren't doing it for you?

How many wins do you think the Tigers have been cost by not having Fister? Remember that Smyly is 2nd in baseball in most outings getting two runs or less in support even though he doesn't have enough starts to qualify as a Starter. He has basically fallen victim to the same thing that happened to Doug in Detroit and Seattle.

I don't think Washington would take that trade though...hee hee

Now if Smyly was giving up only 2-3 runs in those starts you might have a point but if he's given up 5 then he's at fault as well.

I'd like us to make a big splash and get a few pieces. A CF to replace AJax and a couple big BP arms would be nice. Maybe we could put together a package for Leonys Martin, Neftali Feliz, and Joakim Soria from Texas or one for Cameron Maybin, Joaquin Benoit, and Huston Street from San Diego. I can dream, right?

I'd like us to make a big splash and get a few pieces. A CF to replace AJax and a couple big BP arms would be nice. Maybe we could put together a package for Leonys Martin, Neftali Feliz, and Joakim Soria from Texas or one for Cameron Maybin, Joaquin Benoit, and Huston Street from San Diego. I can dream, right?

And who do we have to give up?

We ain't getting any impact player.

We need a corner OFer. Plain and simple. We have no real value, unless we part with starting pitching. Our positional prospects, sans Travis are suspect at best. While a players like Moya might be included, he would only be the filler piece.

Additionally, any players we send that are on our 40-man roster, must be added to the gaining team.

We need a corner OFer. Plain and simple. We have no real value, unless we part with starting pitching. Our positional prospects, sans Travis are suspect at best. While a players like Moya might be included, he would only be the filler piece.

Additionally, any players we send that are on our 40-man roster, must be added to the gaining team.

Ray and Thompson are the only two players in the minors that aren't filler and you raise a good point about Ray needing to go on another team's 40 man roster.

Ray, Moya, Travis / Perez, Knebel and McCann are five players that I think you can package and provide value to another organization at the major league level. The Tigers have a harder lineup to crack than 70% of the teams in baseball, we need to keep that in mind.

Some combo of Perez, AJax, Smyly, Knebel, Ray, Krol, Thompson, Crawford, McCann, Collins, Fields, Moya, etc. would bring good value and wouldn't disrupt the current roster.

So let's trade for someone but give them our starting CF and a SP. The rest have little value..

The Tigers need a corner OF? When Dirks comes back they are going to have too many OF.

So let's trade for someone but give them our starting CF and a SP. The rest have little value..

McCann will be a team's starting catcher in the next two seasons.

Thompson is getting hyped and that's always good for trade value.

Knebel is dealing at Toledo again. He is still young and has potential to be a closer soon.

Hernan Perez is good enough to be on many major league rosters today (Ramon Santiago plays for a Reds' team that is 1.5 games out of first).

Minor league prospects are just that. Few players look like Mike Trout when they make their debut. There seems to be a tendency to view all the players in our system as without value because they aren't better than our current guys. While that is true, a few of them have the potential to be better than OTHER team's current guys which is all that matters.

The Tigers need a corner OF? When Dirks comes back they are going to have too many OF.

Not sure he is referring to just this year but Hunter will be gone..maybe it should be good COF. If our OF is Ajax, JD and Dirks..that's weak.

After this year Tom, who is starting in 2015? Davis/Dirks, Jackson and J.D. Martinez? What happens if 2014 was a fluke for Martinez? What if Dirks isn't better than what he was in 2013? Davis, after a hot start, has been extremely below average since.

If you use all your viable trade pieces now for bullpen help, who do you have left? There are no good quality FA outfielders this offseason. And when Ray, who possibly is just a LOOGY, is considered your best trade piece, what are you expecting?

That's why Zobrist or Aviles are critical to me. Either can play the entire infield or the outfield. Best way to make room for Dirks is to get rid of Romine and Kelly for one guy that can do what they both do combined.

A team has four components in my opinion:
1. Starting Pitchers
2. Bullpen
3. Starting lineup
4. Bench

The team needs bullpen and bench depth (Romine and Kelly) as I see it today.

McCann will be a team's starting catcher in the next two seasons.

Thompson is getting hyped and that's always good for trade value.

Knebel is dealing at Toledo again. He is still young and has potential to be a closer soon.

Hernan Perez is good enough to be on many major league rosters today (Ramon Santiago plays for a Reds' team that is 1.5 games out of first).

Minor league prospects are just that. Few players look like Mike Trout when they make their debut. There seems to be a tendency to view all the players in our system as without value because they aren't better than our current guys. While that is true, a few of them have the potential to be better than OTHER team's current guys which is all that matters.

One man's opinion..you'll get a average RP or a 37 year old position player for those guys..and about McCann, what has he shown that he'd be a starter in two years.

Back