Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trades

After this year Tom, who is starting in 2015? Davis/Dirks, Jackson and J.D. Martinez? What happens if 2014 was a fluke for Martinez? What if Dirks isn't better than what he was in 2013? Davis, after a hot start, has been extremely below average since.

If you use all your viable trade pieces now for bullpen help, who do you have left? There are no good quality FA outfielders this offseason. And when Ray, who possibly is just a LOOGY, is considered your best trade piece, what are you expecting?

JD Martinez is the starting RF in 2015 unless he falls off a cliff after the All-Star break.

Dirks will still be Dirks but platooning with Davis means LF is pretty well covered next year. Find a scrub somewhere and call it an outfield. They went into 2014 with a collection of crap already.

I think Thompson is their best trade piece today. You know the guy that people have seen the least of usually has the most value.

After this year Tom, who is starting in 2015? Davis/Dirks, Jackson and J.D. Martinez? What happens if 2014 was a fluke for Martinez? What if Dirks isn't better than what he was in 2013? Davis, after a hot start, has been extremely below average since.

If you use all your viable trade pieces now for bullpen help, who do you have left? There are no good quality FA outfielders this offseason. And when Ray, who possibly is just a LOOGY, is considered your best trade piece, what are you expecting?

I thought we were talking about trades for this season. As far as next season I fully expect that the OF will consist of Dirks, Davis, Jackson and Martinez. I have no idea if any of them will be good but I am going to assume that the Tigers re-sign V-Mart. If they do I don't expect them taking on any more payroll in the OF.

One man's opinion..you'll get a average RP or a 37 year old position player for those guys..and about McCann, what has he shown that he'd be a starter in two years.

One man's opinion right back at you on what you think those players will bring back.

McCann has hit .277 and .286 respectively the last two seasons. He is projected to be a .250 hitter with little power at the next level. That is a major upgrade for many teams, San Diego being one of them. There are a few writers in Detroit also projecting McCann to be in the majors next year. I go one step further saying he'll start because his numbers indicate a better than average hitting catcher because so few catchers hit their weight.

One man's opinion right back at you on what you think those players will bring back.

McCann has hit .277 and .286 respectively the last two seasons. He is projected to be a .250 hitter with little power at the next level. That is a major upgrade for many teams, San Diego being one of them. There are a few writers in Detroit also projecting McCann to be in the majors next year. I go one step further saying he'll start because his numbers indicate a better than average hitting catcher because so few catchers hit their weight.

Doesn't mean we'll get any of value for him..or we could trade Avila and bring McCann to start for us..

Last edited:
Mitchrapp Doesn't mean we'll get any of value for him..or we could trade Avila and bring McCann to start for us..[/QUOTE said:
By that logic you can't get value for any player.

McCann has potential to be better than many team's current catchers. That is why teams make trades for prospects. Sure it is an unknown but you have to upgrade talent when you can. Getting a raft load of mid-level prospects is what a team like San Diego needs because they have talent deficiencies all over the field. Huston Street and Benoit will not help their team this year or (likely) next year because the Padres will suck. They need players that could blossom in 2015/2016 to make them contenders in a damn tough NL Western Division.

Avila is worth shit (I think you know that) because everyone knows what he is and isn't. He is worth more to Detroit than to another team. He is also blocking McCann and other teams know it which does lower McCann's value.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pretend that McCann is the next coming of Johnny Bench. I think he will prove himself to be a reliable catcher at the major league level and those guys are always sought after. Look around the league and note the number of retreads squatting behind home plate.

Last edited:

You are really optimistic when it comes to Tiger player projections. McCann is projected to be a career backup.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1912361-detroit-tigers-top-10-prospects-for-2014/page/9

http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p2985

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2013/1/29/3926376/the-top-50-prospects-countdown-no-12-c-james-mccann

I don't know I would go as far as "really". If catchers didn't suck so bad I wouldn't look twice at him either. McCann has defensive instincts that teams love.

You are right, I should qualify it with a "Platoon starter" at the Major League level. There are too many teams with catcher as position of need to discount a young guy who has hit .275+ in the minors for two seasons. In my opinion of course.

I'll also add that Bleacher Report had Suarez ranked 10th and project as utility infielder. I think they are wrong. I'm not one to worry too much if my opinion differs from others.

Mitch and Rebbiv - either of you willing to go out on a limb and name a specific player you would like to get given the resources you know the organization has?

Mitch and Rebbiv - either of you willing to go out on a limb and name a specific player you would like to get given the resources you know the organization has?

I have not wavered in the last few years in liking Zobrist and/or Headley.

Headley and Benoit/Street could be had with a package of the right players.

Or you could get Zobrist and a pitcher like McGee.

In both packages, Smyly would not be a bad starting point.

It's not who I want or don't want I just have less faith in our minor league players than you. For example, even if McCann is better than some teams catchers doesn't mean we get a valuable piece back..

Extremely below average? .341/.367/.508/.873 in the last month+.

Last 57 games

.308 OBP .418 SLG .726 OPS

And that is primarily against LHP.

First 18 games- .353/.416/.471/.886

Next 15 games- .172/.210/.293/.503

Last 41 games- .321/.353/.473/.826

The guy had 2 1/2 weeks of really bad baseball. Otherwise he's been very good. This is another move that you were against from the start. How's Logan Morrison doing by the way?

First 18 games- .353/.416/.471/.886

Next 15 games- .172/.210/.293/.503

Last 41 games- .321/.353/.473/.826

The guy had 2 1/2 weeks of really bad baseball. Otherwise he's been very good. This is another move that you were against from the start. How's Logan Morrison doing by the way?

The quote: "Davis, after a hot start, has been extremely below average since."

You want to point to the next 15 games, but that is still part of the next 57.

What about the next 50 games (between games 19 and 68).

.275 OBP .385 SLG .660 OPS

It is just the recent 7 games that raised his production since the hot start. Again, this is just with him primarily playing against LHP.

The quote: "Davis, after a hot start, has been extremely below average since."

You want to point to the next 15 games, but that is still part of the next 57.

What about the next 50 games (between games 19 and 68).

.275 OBP .385 SLG .660 OPS

It is just the recent 7 games that raised his production since the hot start. Again, this is just with him primarily playing against LHP.

179 pa's vs RHP
100 pa's vs LHP

What's your definition of primarily?

Back