Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bracket: Who's your Tiger? Vote for your all-time favorite

DFK!

Brandon complained too much for a guy who should have been grateful.

This is it in a nutshell.

DK never pretended to be anything he's not. He's a guy who has said he tanks god every day he's in baseball.

Brandon Inge does not have an ounce of humility in his body, and probably still think he's better then half the 3rd-sackers in the game today.

I didn't vote or either one.
But I give you between Inge and Kelly who your Tiger?

I choose to cast them both into a volcano and pick Miggy.

Gun to my head and family suspended over a shark tank? Don Kelly, because while they both suck major amounts of ass and have no business being on rosters, at least Kelly isnt a self-absorbed, monumental asshole.

Last edited:
Mags vs. Lolich

It's like Sophie's Choice.

Not really. Lolich is the all time AL LHP strikeout leader in 13 years with DET, 3 times an AS. Ordonez was with DET for 7, but really only healthy for 4, productive for only 3 and an AS for 2.

For me with some of these match ups it goes to the Tiger that I actually watched. Maggs easily over Lolich since I have never seen the man play. I won't vote for Ty Cobb throughout the bracket just because of what kind of person he was reported to be.

Not really. Lolich is the all time AL LHP strikeout leader in 13 years with DET, 3 times an AS. Ordonez was with DET for 7, but really only healthy for 4, productive for only 3 and an AS for 2.

It's a FAVORITES poll Reb, not a who's better then who poll.

Are Mark Wagner, Don Pepper, Ron Cash, Tim Hosley, Tom Makowski and John Knox still in the running?

I would have to choose Lolich over Maggs, b/c Mickey pitched the Tigers into a WS Championship in '68, winning all 3 games that he started, including hitting a solo homer vs the Cards' Briles in Game 2. He was named WS MVP.

Everyone remembers Ordonez' dramatic ALCS/Pennant winning 3 run walkoff Game 4 homer. but Maggs performance in the '06 WS on O was anemic, as he hit .105/.150/.105 in 20 PAs, with no xbh and 2 BB.

Last edited:
Are Mark Wagner, Don Pepper, Ron Cash, Tim Hosley, Tom Makowski and John Knox still in the running?

How could you forget Mr. 7 for 7, Cesar Gutierrez?!?

or Jim Walewander, the punk rock aficionado, who invited the Dead Milkmen to a game @ Tiger Stadium, and hit a homer in appreciation for their attendance?

Last edited:
It's a FAVORITES poll Reb, not a who's better then who poll.

I got THAT! I am a huge Lolich fan and he should have made the HoF. But I don't think it was a close consideration for me. So it wasn't a Sophie's Choice.

Two of my favorites through the years were John Wockefuss and Curtis Granderson. Not sure why Granderson didn't make the list over some of the others.

Don Kelly and Jim Price are on there, yet Granderson isn't? Guess I'm not voting then.

Also unless you are 80+ you don't remember watching Gehringer,Crawford, cochrane, or Rowe even playing.

I've only heard of one of those players!

Which one?

"Schoolboy" Rowe?

"Wahoo" Sam Crawford?

Mickey "The Mechanical Man" Cochrane?

Charley Gehringer?

Tigers teams have had some of the best player nicknames in MLB history. IMO, including one of my favorites in Champ Summers.

The inaugural Tigers team of 1901 had 3 starters with the nickname of "Kid" being Kid Gleason, Kid Elberfeld, and Kid Nance. No Kid "Rock" though.

Don Kelly and Jim Price are on there, yet Granderson isn't? Guess I'm not voting then.

Granderson was very honest with the Tigers about not wanting to sign a new contract to play in Detroit. He wanted a "real" city i.e., Chicago or New York. Curtis wasn't overly vocal about it but there were interviews where he had alluded to it as did DD.

Granderson was very honest with the Tigers about not wanting to sign a new contract to play in Detroit. He wanted a "real" city i.e., Chicago or New York. Curtis wasn't overly vocal about it but there were interviews where he had alluded to it as did DD.

What? Do you have a link to an article that backs this up?

Granderson signed a 5-year extension ($30 Mil) with Detroit in February 2008. That extension carried him through 2013. 2 years later, he was traded, with 4 years left on his extension.

Are you talking about the new contract for 2014? Because he wasn't going anywhere without the trade.

What? Do you have a link to an article that backs this up?

Granderson signed a 5-year extension ($30 Mil) with Detroit in February 2008. That extension carried him through 2013. 2 years later, he was traded, with 4 years left on his extension.

Are you talking about the new contract for 2014? Because he wasn't going anywhere without the trade.

He had 2010, 11 and 12 left on the contract. I can't find a link except to one person's blog. It was on sports radio where I heard the conversation regarding Granderson not wanting to stay past 2012. That seems like a long time off though in 2010 so maybe I'm just insane.

Either way. Granderson was never my Tiger for the most part because they miscast him as a leadoff hitter.

Back