Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game #94 Indians @ Detroit July 19th

I never thought Brad would be worse then Jim....Or just as bad at managing a bullpen...

Ha!

I think the Tigers will be fine by the end of the year.

That said, the dumbness of bashing "Jimmy Smokes" that I observed on this board after all the years the Tigers spent in the wilderness before he came along never cease to astound me.

The Tigers have scored 16 runs in their past six games. average of 2.67.
Have scored 3, 2 and 2 against Indians.

And the next day they score 13. And some one will say there issue isn't the offense because they average 5 runs a game.

8 Wins in July and they averaged 7.6 Runs per game.

7 Losses in July and the averaged 2.4 Runs per game

They have averaged 5.2 Runs per game for July

Runs scored after the 6th Inning

DET 37 IN 13 R 3.2 R/G

OPP 44 IN 22 R 4.5 R/G

Last 4 Games

DET 12 IN 2 R 1.5 R/G

OPP 11 IN 20 R 16.4 R/G

And the next day they score 13. And some one will say there issue isn't the offense because they average 5 runs a game.

DET 37 IN 13 R 3.2 R/G

OPP 44 IN 22 R 4.5 R/G

Last 4 Games

DET 12 IN 2 R 1.5 R/G

OPP 11 IN 20 R 16.4 R/G

The offense is an issue more so in philosophy and approach. When they all go up there hacking away at first pitches and getting easy outs, it can be darn ugly to watch. It is hot and cold for sure, but when it is hot it can be effective. People don't like to hear this, but they have faced some pitchers lately who have looked very good as well. If the Tigers don't make a move to bolster the lineup I'd feel more comfortable with the lineup standing pat than the bullpen.

Your last comparison makes it even more apparent how atrocious the bullpen is. 20 runs in the last 11 innings (some of that I'm assuming is credited to the starters), but good lord that is awful. The Tigers absolutely MUST address this issue or they are toast come October.

DET 37 IN 13 R 3.2 R/G

OPP 44 IN 22 R 4.5 R/G

Last 4 Games

DET 12 IN 2 R 1.5 R/G

OPP 11 IN 20 R 16.4 R/G

This is the same for every team in baseball....some games they score 2 and some games they score 7. Baseball is probably the most inconsistent game. Yesterday the Tigers just ran into a great pitcher. Maybe the other days it was because the offense was flat or they didn't have timely hitting. Either way...it is the same for most teams...inconsistent!

The offense has been flat, but they don't concern me as much as our bullpen. Rememeber, in 2 of these 4 losses we had leads in the 7th(up 2 in one game had gave up 5 and up 3 and gave up 7!) and tied in another. I don't care if we were up 2-0 or 10-8, we have to be able to close more of these games out!

This is the same for every team in baseball....some games they score 2 and some games they score 7. Baseball is probably the most inconsistent game. Yesterday the Tigers just ran into a great pitcher. Maybe the other days it was because the offense was flat or they didn't have timely hitting. Either way...it is the same for most teams...inconsistent!

The problem is how many great pitchers are they going to run into in the playoffs!

The offense has been flat, but they don't concern me as much as our bullpen. Rememeber, in 2 of these 4 losses we had leads in the 7th(up 2 in one game had gave up 5 and up 3 and gave up 7!) and tied in another. I don't care if we were up 2-0 or 10-8, we have to be able to close more of these games out!

For me the bullpen has been an issue since spring training. Really I'm surprised they are doing as well as they are doing. Did not have them in 1st as long as they have been.
BUT this is the real point. No matter how long/many games they are in 1st, it only matters after game 162 has been played!

Tigers usually don't have a problem with great pitchers. It's the ones that are mediocre or suck that give them fits.

Back