Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cabrera became my Idol years ago...

Of course his walk rates were better in those peak years. Almost 40% of them were intentional. Not to mention many more that might have well been intentional walks. Pitchers don't fear him anymore so why pitch around the guy?

Pujos 2008-10 116 Intentional base on balls

2011-14 47 Intentional base on balls

Um...I do not compute walk rates with intentional walks included. That is the raw walk rates without intentional and they prove a point.

Um...I do not compute walk rates with intentional walks included. That is the raw walk rates without intentional and they prove a point.

I'm not arguing walk rates with you. Not sure why you keep turning everything into that. My initial comment was directed at the original topic of this thread. So, do you feel there is ZERO concern that Miggy could slip into a Pujols like fall over the next few years?

And so should you. Historical speaking, walk rates are very informative and can be very predictive.

Part of the reason for the high walk rates for guys like Pujols and Miggy in ther prime is that pitchers don't want to challenge them. Once they start losing their power, pitchers go after them more, throwing more strikes, and the walk rate goes down. It is kind of like the chicken and the egg....does their walk rate go up because they are losing their ability or are the pitchers not as afraid so they throw more strikes?

I'm not arguing walk rates with you. Not sure why you keep turning everything into that. My initial comment was directed at the original topic of this thread. So, do you feel there is ZERO concern that Miggy could slip into a Pujols like fall over the next few years?

"Albert Pujols says hi"

Your initial comment in this thread and was somewhat a snide comment, no?

The OP is suggesting that Cabrera has started his regression. You are backing up the OP with the claim it is possible because of this year being the same as when Pujols started to regress.

And if you read my post in it's entirety, I mention I would be concerned with Cabrera only when he had two years worth of a walk rate greater than 15.0 PA/BB. And that is still the case. And it isn't happening this year.

All baseball players regress. Some at a earlier age than others. There are usually markers that can help determine if a player is truly regressing, or if in fact it is just a bad stretch.

When Victor Martinez started last season hitting for a low average, I was one of the few that wasn't concerned.

2013 1st half walk rate = 12.6 PA/BB

Career = 12.4 PA/BB

It was just a matter of time before Victor started hitting again.

He's been above .300 since May 17th and hasn't dipped below it. He's had peaks and valleys (currently in a valley), but where are you getting .290 from?

From now till the end of the season. he won't hit 10 Hrs. and hit .290. also take into account he's been swinging at bad pitches like I never seen before.

Last edited:
Part of the reason for the high walk rates for guys like Pujols and Miggy in ther prime is that pitchers don't want to challenge them. Once they start losing their power, pitchers go after them more, throwing more strikes, and the walk rate goes down. It is kind of like the chicken and the egg....does their walk rate go up because they are losing their ability or are the pitchers not as afraid so they throw more strikes?

Name one quality MLB pitcher that said they purposely threw balls to a hitter. This is generally not the case. It makes for good barroom discussion.

A hitter has a fraction of a second to decide whether a pitch is within the zone or not. You have to look at which types of pitches they are swinging at.

Swinging at Pitches outside the zone:

Pujols

2008 (28) 8.7 PA/BB 1.114 OPS = 21.6%

2009 (29) 9.2 PA/BB 1.101 OPS = 22.9%

2010 (30) 10.2 PA/BB 1.011 OPS = 27.5%

2011 (31) 17.2 PA/BB .906 OPS = 31.8%

2012 (32) 18.2 PA/BB .859 OPS = 36.4%

2013 (33) 13.6 PA/BB .767 OPS = 34.3%

2014 (34) 21.7 PA/BB .803 OPS = 31.8%

Don't you think it had more to do with swinging at pitches outside the zone?

It has nothing to do with the pitchers. If so, I would like your prove and not speculation.

Name one quality MLB pitcher that said they purposely threw balls to a hitter. This is generally not the case. It makes for good barroom discussion.

A hitter has a fraction of a second to decide whether a pitch is within the zone or not. You have to look at which types of pitches they are swinging at.

Swinging at Pitches outside the zone:

Pujols

2008 (28) 8.7 PA/BB 1.114 OPS = 21.6%

2009 (29) 9.2 PA/BB 1.101 OPS = 22.9%

2010 (30) 10.2 PA/BB 1.011 OPS = 27.5%

2011 (31) 17.2 PA/BB .906 OPS = 31.8%

2012 (32) 18.2 PA/BB .859 OPS = 36.4%

2013 (33) 13.6 PA/BB .767 OPS = 34.3%

2014 (34) 21.7 PA/BB .803 OPS = 31.8%

Don't you think it had more to do with swinging at pitches outside the zone?

It has nothing to do with the pitchers. If so, I would like your prove and not speculation.

I said part of the reason. It obviously has something to do with the batter themselves.

From now till the end of the season. he won't hit 10 Hrs. and hit .290. also take into account he's been swinging at bad pitches like I never seen before.

So now you're basing your post on things that haven't even happened yet? I mean I get it, he's getting older, battling injuries, and people are worried his elite days are over. They probably are to a certain extent, but he's still going to be a tremendous player for the Tigers.

The average has trended downward, but I feel he's due for another hot streak at some point in the second half so I don't see him finishing below .290. He's in a minor hitting slump now, but he will more than likely get hot again. The home run numbers I'm the least concerned with. I don't care if he hits only 20-25 homers as long as he drives in a ton of runs, and gets on base consistently. You mentioned he's merely a doubles hitter now. Since when are doubles a bad thing anyway? Just because it's not a homer?

His power has never been what's defined him as a player. It's his natural all-around hitting ability. The one thing I agree with is that yes he's been swinging at some bad pitches lately. Probably part of the reason why he's in his mini-slump. That can be corrected.

Last edited:
And Pujols is still raking. He's getting it done. Not the old Pujols but doing things up.

I agree.. go figure.

With Miggy, he's had a slight off year. Not a bad year just a little off from what we'd expect. Still at a high average, lots of doubles .. and RBI. Just not as many HR. Not bad for someone who is not 100%.

Last edited:
The one thing I agree with is that yes he's been swinging at some bad pitches lately. Probably part of the reason why he's in his mini-slump. That can be corrected.

Tonight he is on the road facing a Left-hand pitcher (Nuno).

Cabrera is hitting .186 against LH pitchers on the road this season. I will be watching his at bats with greater interest just for the cat and mouse of pitch selection.

Miguel has a rare hitting ability. I think he'll have the ability to keep his average up as his power declines. It will be fun to see him get his 3k hit in a Tiger uniform.

Miguel has a rare hitting ability. I think he'll have the ability to keep his average up as his power declines. It will be fun to see him get his 3k hit in a Tiger uniform.

At the rate he is getting hits this year, it looks like the end of 2018 or early 2019, without any debilitating injury to him. Looks like Miggy has been averaging about 195 hits a year in a 162 game sched as a Tiger. I don't think that will continue so I figured nearer/above 180 for that timeline.

Back