Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

DD not planning on Hanrahan

SouthOfMackinac

Last edited:
It was really not a bright idea to sign him to a ML contract. Ah well.

"Well DD had to do something!"

sure+seemed+like+a+good+idea+at+the+time.png

9215610-small.jpg

Last edited:
Like he said it was a low-risk opportunity. A million here a million there it's just the COB.

The new Little Caesar $6 pizza (previously 5).

Yeah, million here (Gonzalez) million there (Hanrahan) no biggie, but; MUST TRADE DOUG FISTER (7.2 MM) TO PAY FOR JOE NATHAN! (10MM)

Every time someone brings that reason up I want to grab an axe and a hockey mask.

Yeah, million here (Gonzalez) million there (Hanrahan) no biggie, but; MUST TRADE DOUG FISTER (7.2 MM) TO PAY FOR JOE NATHAN! (10MM)

Every time someone brings that reason up I want to grab an axe and a hockey mask.

The money spent on those two was done after the landscape had changed. Priorities changed when they were caught with their pants down and no SS. They changed when the bullpen looked like it could be salvaged with maybe just one more piece.

The goal was to keep the payroll around 160M. He did that. I agree Fister should not have been the casualty.

The Fielder trade had already happened as well.

Nathan 10M + Rajai 5M + Joba 2.5 + 15M Kinsler = 32.5M
Fielder 20M + Fister 7.2M = 27.2M

So Rajai Davis is the reason they had to trade Fister if they wanted Nathan instead of Benoit. Thanks for making me look at it again. Please let me know if you see an error in math.

Last edited:
I need a million DD.... I can split it up with my fellow Tiger board members...

Get his WS ring and get the new hockey arena built. Those seem to be his last two major life goals right now.

This is pretty much it. Given the structure of the team and contracts, next season will look very different. You know the division is excited to see the Tigers get broken up.

Well then I guess that feeling I had at the beginning of the year that hanrahan would prove to be huge in the second half was just gas

Oh well maybe next time

Well then I guess that feeling I had at the beginning of the year that hanrahan would prove to be huge in the second half was just gas

Oh well maybe next time

I had the exact same feeling. Gotta lay off the burritos.

It was a signing of desperation that backfired. The Gonzalez and Romine trades were made in desperation. I believe the Soria move was in desperation. I never feel good when my team makes decisions of desperation.

It was a signing of desperation that backfired. The Gonzalez and Romine trades were made in desperation. I believe the Soria move was in desperation. I never feel good when my team makes decisions of desperation.

I think Hanrahan was more of a "F it" signing. I know DD wanted Wilson last year and Hanrahan was a similar situation.

Gonzalez I hope was at the end of a three-day bender. I suppose we can call it desperation because that was one of the weirder trades I can recall. I question Omar's scouting abilities a bit after that one.

Romine trade was the epitome of desperation. The lack of organizational depth at the position made him look foolish...Until Eugenio came along! Who knew he already had the answer?

Soria move was total desperation. You and I knew the bullpen hadn't been addressed to be better during the off-season. My only guess is that he thought AL AL was ready to be more than he is capable of. I'll admit I was harboring the notion during the offseason but I'd have found the money for Benoit and Nathan.

One fundamental question and is really all that matters (assuming division championship of course) are the Tigers better than Oakland and LAA? Head to Head they sure do appear to be. Regular season can be (is?) fool's gold when it comes playoffs but, well hell if I knew I'd be rich from picking WS winners in April.

Just further proof the Fister trade had nothing to do with money.

Just further proof the Fister trade had nothing to do with money.

I'm not clear how this proves it. The Fister trade was nothing but economics. Present and future. There is one budget for the off-season. That number changes when the season starts and needs change.

DD got poor return on a damn fine pitcher. He also saved almost 6.6M by using Smyly instead of Fister. Talent aside there is an economic implication. 6M here and 6M there adds up even faster than 1M here or there.

If it wasn't money, what was it? Was Fister hooking up with Fielder's wife also?

I'm not clear how this proves it. The Fister trade was nothing but economics. Present and future. There is one budget for the off-season. That number changes when the season starts and needs change.

DD got poor return on a damn fine pitcher. He also saved almost 6.6M by using Smyly instead of Fister. Talent aside there is an economic implication. 6M here and 6M there adds up even faster than 1M here or there.

If it wasn't money, what was it? Was Fister hooking up with Fielder's wife also?

There was a rumor or maybe it was in print somewhere that Fister wanted to finish career on the west coast. Even though we could have waited to traded him maybe DD jumped the gun and decided now..

But if Money was a concern you don't sign a RP 10m. Fister and Smyly together were cheaper. You also don't offer Max 144m soon after Miguel got 30m per if you're trying to save money.

Finally, regardless if we got a bad return GM trade players who are at the top for prospects from time to time.

But this was not about money..none. You don't suddenly go from trying to win by spending huge money year after year to worry about 6m.

Back