Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 100 Tigers vs. angles July 25, 2014

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
TIGERS (no career numbers off Skaggs)

Austin Jackson, CF
Ian Kinsler, 2B
Miguel Cabrera, 1B
Victor Martinez, DH
J.D. Martinez, LF
Torii Hunter, RF
Nick Castellanos, 3B
Alex Avila, C
Eugenio Suarez
P: Drew Smyly

ANGELS (career numbers vs. Smyly)

Kole Calhoun, RF
Mike Trout, CF (2-for-8, 2 doubles, 2 K’s)
Albert Pujols, 1B (2-for-6, 2 doubles, 2 K’s)
Josh Hamilton, LF (3-for-10, HR, 3 K’s)
Howie Kendrick, 2B (2-for-7, HR, K)
Erick Aybar, SS (2-for-5, double)
David Freese, 3B
C.J. Cron, DH
Chris Iannetta, C (2-for-3, 2 doubles, walk)
P: Tyler Skaggs

J.D. Martinez returns to the Tigers lineup for the first time since Tuesday and just his second start since Sunday. Rajai Davis is the odd man out in the Tigers outfield as a result. Other than that, it’s a pretty standard lineup against Tyler Skaggs, a pitcher the Tigers haven’t faced before.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_07_25_detmlb_anamlb_1&mode=preview&c_id=mlb
Tigers vs. angles Game Preview.
Tigers official site

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2014/07/detroit_tigers_gameday_drew_sm_12.html
Detroit Tigers Gameday: J.D. Martinez (upper quad) back in lineup; Drew Smyly takes mound in Anaheim.
mlive

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=340725103
espn

http://www.baseball-reference.com/previews/2014/ANA201407250.shtml
Baseball Reference

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_07_25_detmlb_anamlb_1&mode=classic
Tigers Gameday.

Last edited:
Could be a tough night for Drew. The Angels kill lefties. Might need the bats again tonight.

Agreed. Last night's win was good to get. The odds don't favor us in this game I'm afraid.

Let's win it anyway! :)

Last edited:
mlb extra innings had the phillies - d-backs game on. just finished.
Bastardo gave up a grand slam to a right handed batter oliver perez looked shaky too.
don't want either of them.

this channel should be switching to Tigers game now. Yes, just in time to see Alice strikeout.

skaggs throws about 30 pitches this inning and the Tigers don't score?!?

Last edited:
mlb extra innings had the phillies - d-backs game on. just finished.
Bastardo gave up a grand slam to a right handed batter oliver perez looked shaky too.
don't want either of them.

this channel should be switching to Tigers game now.

If we got him it would be to face lefty's I'd assume. Maybe some full innings when the other guys need a rest. He's been pretty damn good against RHB's though. That's his first homer given up to a righty since 2012.

Alex is just a k machine at the plate these days 17 more k's than anyone else on the team

249 AB's
97k's

Leads team in walks though with 38

That was a nice ground-rule double by JD Martinez in the last half-inning. I'm not sure why Hamilton didn't just catch it though.

That was a nice ground-rule double by JD Martinez in the last half-inning. I'm not sure why Hamilton didn't just catch it though.

I was wondering that also, it didn't look like it was that far away from him did it

If we got him it would be to face lefty's I'd assume. Maybe some full innings when the other guys need a rest. He's been pretty damn good against RHB's though. That's his first homer given up to a righty since 2012.

The way the tampa rays are playing I don't think they will have any kind of sale.
McGee would be a nice lefty in the pen,
iirc today or yesterday mcbtb Motor City Tigers blog that is mentioned a lefty with the Marlins Mike Dunn?

Alex is just a k machine at the plate these days 17 more k's than anyone else on the team

249 AB's
97k's

Leads team in walks though with 38

Alex Avila vs. Left this season 72 ABs
3 BB 30 SO .260 OBP / .292 SLG / .551 OPS

Holaday vs. Left this season 47 ABs
3 BB 11 SO .286 OBP / .328 SLG / .614 OPS

Neither choice is all that appealing. I was going to get upset for Ausmus not starting Holaday until I looked at the numbers. Avila's defense I think makes up the difference in offense.

Should not be trying to steal with 1 out and miggy on deck tigers, c'mon now brad it's just common sense

The way the tampa rays are playing I don't think they will have any kind of sale.
McGee would be a nice lefty in the pen,
iirc today or yesterday mcbtb Motor City Tigers blog that is mentioned a lefty with the Marlins Mike Dunn?

I saw that too. I'm not really sold on needing a lefty though. Smyly will be in the pen in the post season so I really don't see the need.

We were bitten by baserunning problems again. To Skaggs' credit, that was an excellent pickoff throw.

Back