Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 102 Tigers vs. angles July 27, 2014

OK...how do you mitigate an outfielder like Trout in 2012 when he split time in CF and LF and is clearly a better defensive CFer than Jackson?

It's not me. It is how the gold glove is voted. The rules are clear. Games played at the position, which is why I was pedantic about the number of innings and using qualified numbers.

Ajax was a nominee in 2012 and a justifiable one. You've been debating something you clearly didn't understand. Probably best to end this one.

It's not me. It is how the gold glove is voted. The rules are clear. Games played at the position, which is why I was pedantic about the number of innings and using qualified numbers.

Ajax was a nominee in 2012 and a justifiable one. You've been debating something you clearly didn't understand. Probably best to end this one.

Derek Jeter has always had the worse defensive metrics and still won the Gold Glove. Gold Glove isn't based on UZR/150. I wish it was.

Now...this all started when a comment was made about Jackson being Gold Glove Caliber (which is no different than saying Inge or Knsler is Gold Glove caliber by the way). My response was:

It has been a year or so. But a few on here were hyping him. Especially after 2012.

Which you proceeded to assault with UZR/150 data to try and make the case that he was a gold glove CFer. I guess I hit a nerve.

Derek Jeter has always had the worse defensive metrics and still won the Gold Glove. Gold Glove isn't based on UZR/150. I wish it was.

Now...this all started when a comment was made about Jackson being Gold Glove Caliber (which is no different than saying Inge or Knsler is Gold Glove caliber by the way). My response was:

It has been a year or so. But a few on here were hyping him. Especially after 2012.

Which you proceeded to assault with UZR/150 data to try and make the case that he was a gold glove CFer. I guess I hit a nerve.

I agree that offensive numbers and entrenchment factor in more than they should. It doesn't change the fact that the metrics we both like were the ones that illustrated clearly Ajax was a top three defensive CFer in the AL in 2011 and 2012. You hit a nerve because you insinuated the people who were saying that were wrong. They weren't.

Now had I just said that you'd say "Where is your proof?" So I started with data this time only to be told that using Qualified players was wrong and I should decrease my sample size (a first for you) to 2,000 Innings played. For a three year average that is less than 700 innings a season playing CF. That's too small. 3,000 Innings is as low as I would go and feel I'm representing it accurately. But we all have access to Fangraphs so if one person shows something we don't like I go and tweak it and look at it for myself. I don't post the new numbers because what does it really matter?

Your comment was "There is no way Austin Jackson should ever be consider a gold glove CFer. " After 2012 people were saying it because he was a nominee. In 2013 people stopped saying it because he sucked.

Last edited:
Back