Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers Top 20 Prospects

Uselessly small sample, doubly so because of the competition, but still nice to see Hill with a terrific walk rate so far.

Adames is an intriguing prospect as well.

Both being 18 though, they're a long ways off.

Interesting. A 10x pitchers, 4x Middle Infielders, 3x OFers, 3x Catchers. No corner infielders (1B or 3B).

MLB Top 10 by position

2B = Devon Travis #9

No other Tiger player is in the Top 10, yet Travis is ranked 5th for DET. Travis is still the best prospect we have, yet he is being blocked.

Ramon Cabrera (24) probably has a higher ceiling than James McCann (24).

And certainly Tyler Collins (24) is a better prospect than Steven Moya (22).

Interesting. A 10x pitchers, 4x Middle Infielders, 3x OFers, 3x Catchers. No corner infielders (1B or 3B).

MLB Top 10 by position

2B = Devon Travis #9

No other Tiger player is in the Top 10, yet Travis is ranked 5th for DET. Travis is still the best prospect we have, yet he is being blocked.

Ramon Cabrera (24) probably has a higher ceiling than James McCann (24).

And certainly Tyler Collins (24) is a better prospect than Steven Moya (22).

Travis had some difficulties early in the season but has been on fire for well over a month. It appears this team doesn't have a place for him anytime soon unless they sell high on Kinsler. Not that I think he'll be coveted with his contract and other teams thinking he's playing over his head.

From all accounts McCann is a fine defensive catcher. His release time is better than MLB average. If both project as backups I'd rather have the better defender. I'd prefer McCann over Holaday right now - the team needs a shakeup.

You know the story on Collins. He's 24 and in Triple-A. That is the kiss of death for a "prospect". He got called up, didn't hit (albeit difficult situation for him) got sent down. That's a mole. People covet the unknown and make rash decisions about what they see, regardless of sample size. We see it all the time.

I don't think Collins or Moya will have enduring MLB careers (DFK style).

No Josh Turley and no Jason Krizan. They're full of crap! (kidding - I like the list and thanks for the link KC).

Last edited:
The Tigers went three straight Drafts from 2010-12 where they gave up their first-round pick as free-agent compensation.

does anybody know who they got for those 3 picks?

Michael Foltynewicz RHP at Triple A. 19th pick 2010 Houston (Valverde)
Tigers got Nick C (44th) in this draft as a supplemental pick for losing Brandon Lyons and Chance Ruffin (48th) for losing Fernando Rodney.

Matt Barnes RHP at Triple-A. 19th pick in 2011 Red Sox (V Mart)

Clint Coulter C in A-Ball. 27th pick 2012 Milwaukee (Fielder)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info KC. I was trying to find a way to get Baseball Americas new top 10 because they updated as well but I don't have a subscription.

Ziomek has 13 Ks through 6 today. I think he has had a better year than Crawford. Although both should be in Lakeland because of their age

Devon Travis gives me a baseball woody. I'm hoping maybe Kinsler will move to 1st and Cabrera to full-time DH once Victor is gone. Maybe they can try Travis out in left field?

Devon Travis gives me a baseball woody. I'm hoping maybe Kinsler will move to 1st and Cabrera to full-time DH once Victor is gone. Maybe they can try Travis out in left field?

Kinsler at 1B? Kinsler is signed through 2017 with a 2018 option. If Miggy can't play 1B through 2018 then DD was stupid to give him that extension (I think he was stupid for extending him that early anyway)

Thanks for the info KC. I was trying to find a way to get Baseball Americas new top 10 because they updated as well but I don't have a subscription.

I stopped mine the beginning of the year, with so many sites that are free or very short $.

and South of Mackinac and Troy you're welcome.

Last edited:
Michael Foltynewicz RHP at Triple A. 19th pick 2010 Houston (Valverde)
Tigers got Nick C (44th) in this draft as a supplemental pick for losing Brandon Lyons and Chance Ruffin (48th) for losing Fernando Rodney.

Matt Barnes RHP at Triple-A. 19th pick in 2011 Red Sox (V Mart)

Clint Coulter C in A-Ball. 27th pick 2012 Milwaukee (Fielder)

I've heard of Matt Barnes being here in boston. They are high on him.

I've heard of Matt Barnes being here in boston. They are high on him.

I think they are just high when I look at his numbers. Lots of walks, few strikeouts and gives up hits to lefty and righty - righty even more.

MLB draft is still the most unpredictable talent selection process in professional sports.

I think they are just high when I look at his numbers. Lots of walks, few strikeouts and gives up hits to lefty and righty - righty even more.

MLB draft is still the most unpredictable talent selection process in professional sports.

That's why there are so many rounds, more chances to hit, plus there are way more minor league teams for the players to go unlike NFL where you HAVE to make the 53 man roster or be on the practice squad. That is also why I really don't mind giving up picks to get proven FA's.

Back