Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers not in on Andrew Miller

He is probably going to get the biggest deal for a reliever this year, not a surprise they are not going after him. Not sure I blame them either, you are talking about giving a reliever that has never closed before a 4yr deal at near 10 million per year maybe more.

http://m.tigers.mlb.com/news/article/102868794/tigers-sorting-out-second-tier-relief-options

Albuquerque
Hardy
Nathan
Rondon
Soria

The above are pretty much locks if healthy. That leaves room for two more and I assure you they are saving one spot for Hanrahan. That leaves a spot for possibly another lefty (Krol or Ryan).

Exactly where would Miller go if he was signed? LOOGY? Do you pay a LOOGY 10 Mil a year? If it is closer, then why are you paying Nathan and/or Soria?

There is a spot for another LOOGY, like the above article suggests. But I wouldn't see anything else without causing a domino effect.

Good, Miller sucks anyway.

I feel sorry for the team that pays that bust that kind of money, he has the potential to go out and completely suck to the tune of a 5+ ERA.

Good, Miller sucks anyway.

I feel sorry for the team that pays that bust that kind of money, he has the potential to go out and completely suck to the tune of a 5+ ERA.

He has been great ever since he was moved from a starter to a relief pitcher. He could get worse but that is a risk every team takes. Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't want him on the Tigers getting paid $10M a year but to say he sucks as a relief pitcher is wrong.

He has been great ever since he was moved from a starter to a relief pitcher. He could get worse but that is a risk every team takes. Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't want him on the Tigers getting paid $10M a year but to say he sucks as a relief pitcher is wrong.

sucks might be a little strong a word, but he's really not that great.

he's basically had 1 elite year in relief (2014), his WHIP is high in his other years as a relief pitcher. 1.19 in 2012, 1.37 in 2013. Either way, it's WAY too much money on a guy that's only going to throw around 50 innings.

Miller had a good run in the playoffs. So did Coke once. To pay the big bucks he needs to do it a few times more. Tigers been burned too many times by one year wonders.

Miller could come back to earth next year. He has bad deal written all over him

Miller was dominate all year. 15k/9, you can not fake that. Who cares if he is left handed or not. Doolittle is a lefty and he was one of the best closers last year.

He had a good year. Still his only dominant year and he'll get paid way too much. Plus, we already have 2 closers on this team.

He had a good year. Still his only dominant year and he'll get paid way too much. Plus, we already have 2 closers on this team.

I wouldn't classify Nathan as a closer, and it would be nice to have some insurance for Soria. I think that a young closer in his prime would be a nice addition. At worst, the Tigers could sign Miller and trade Soria for help elsewhere. At best, they could sign Miller, have Soria as a great set up man and tell Nathan to sit at home and watch.

4 at $36M...a little less than I expected. Only time will tell if it is a good or bad deal.

I wouldn't classify Nathan as a closer, and it would be nice to have some insurance for Soria. I think that a young closer in his prime would be a nice addition. At worst, the Tigers could sign Miller and trade Soria for help elsewhere. At best, they could sign Miller, have Soria as a great set up man and tell Nathan to sit at home and watch.

Whether he is or not in '15 .. but we signed him to be a closer and indeed closed.

Now the scenario of letting a high priced pitcher sit at home, why we signed another closer, one who has never closed, is not feasible.

Back