Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

Nonetheless, one gets to world series and the other doesn't.

Drafts (1st and 2nd Round that made MLB**more than a cup of coffee)

2002 As = N. Swisher, J. Blanton, M. Teahan

2002 Tigers = S. Moore

2003 As = O. Quintanilla, A. Ethier

2003 Tigers = None

2004 As = L. Powell, H. Street, K. Suzuki

2004 Tigers = J. Verlander

2005 As = C. Pennington, T. Buck

2005 Tigers = C. Maybin

2006 As = T. Cahill

2006 Tigers = A. Miller

2007 As = S. Doolittle

2007 Tigers = R. Porcello, D. Worth

2008 As = J. Weeks, T. Ross

2008 Tigers = R. Perry

2009 As = G. Green

2009 Tigers = J. Turner

As = 15 Players, 12 still in majors, 8 positional

Tigers = 8 players, 4 still in majors, 1 positional

Not sure if this was posted or not, but the Pope is reporting that the Tigers are talking with James Shields.

Drafts (1st and 2nd Round that made MLB**more than a cup of coffee)

2002 As = N. Swisher, J. Blanton, M. Teahan

2002 Tigers = S. Moore

2003 As = O. Quintanilla, A. Ethier

2003 Tigers = None

2004 As = L. Powell, H. Street, K. Suzuki

2004 Tigers = J. Verlander

2005 As = C. Pennington, T. Buck

2005 Tigers = C. Maybin

2006 As = T. Cahill

2006 Tigers = A. Miller

2007 As = S. Doolittle

2007 Tigers = R. Porcello, D. Worth

2008 As = J. Weeks, T. Ross

2008 Tigers = R. Perry

2009 As = G. Green

2009 Tigers = J. Turner

As = 15 Players, 12 still in majors, 8 positional

Tigers = 8 players, 4 still in majors, 1 positional

So the choice is do you want good drafts, good walk rates, good team, low payroll but no playoff wins or bad draft, bad walk rates, good team, high payroll with playoff wins galore?

Shields is wanting 5 years @ $125 Mil.

At that price, I am OK with what we have.
I'll pass. Not sure by adding him makes us a WS team anyway. Bullpen still a big question and I do not like the position depth we are looking at currently. Casty is a liability at 3B, not sure about SS health, and not enough AB's for a prospect to be riding the bench. Not looking good to me at this point.

Like I've mentioned about Scherzer all summer-long, Shields also is not signing with Detroit, unless we dump a near-equal salaried player.

Not sure there is any truth to it, but Strasburg is supposedly available via trade now.

The Washington Nationals added one ace pitcher, but they could be looking to deal another.

The Nationals reportedly signed Max Scherzer to an enormous contract Sunday night, and many believed the free-agent right-hander would be the perfect addition to an already-stacked rotation. However, the Nationals might be looking to move right-hander Stephen Strasburg.

USA TODAY?s John Perrotto reported Monday that the Nationals are open to dealing Strasburg, and it sounds like the righty might be OK with that, too.

He tweeted: Hearing Stras is very available and both sides believe it is time to move on.

Strasburg, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 Major League Baseball draft, is coming off the best season of his young career. He logged a career-high 215 innings, striking out 242 batters on his way to posting a 14-11 record with a 3.14 ERA.

Strasburg avoided arbitration by signing a one-year deal worth $7.4 million on Jan. 16. He?ll be eligible for arbitration in 2016 and is set to hit free agency the season after.

Brewers and Willis on minors deal. Just traded Yovani Gallardo, are they reaching for a straw here?!.

Shields finally signed with the Padres, 4 years something like $72-78 million. Im really pissed off DD didnt bother to try to top that.

At this point, who gives a fuck? Theyre probably going to hit it already by the end of the season, and signing VMart should have been the signal to go all-in this year by trying to shore up the rotation and bullpen more, but apparently we're going to half-ass it.

If we dont win the WS this year, I'm done with DD. We'll need a rebuild after this season given all the holes we have to fill and the huge contracts we already have, and we've seen (so far) that his strategy of having a bloated payroll but a very unbalanced team and barren farm system hasnt gotten us what we've wanted. Theres no doubt he's still done a good job as the team has been a contender nearly every year and has won 4 straight division titles, but the organizational goal has been a WS win and we've failed. We need a new mind to rebuild. If only Friedman and Zaidi hadn't both gone to the fucking Dodgers...

We have far too many holes to contend for a Word Series Title. We could certainly get there if we had a couple players have "career" years or "fluke" years.

Price, Cespedes, Soria, Avila, R. Davis, Simon and potentially Nathan are all Free Agents after this year. $63.2 Mil for 7 players. The only ones I personally would considered resigning (depending on 2015 season) is Price and Avila, maybe even Soria. Cespedes, R. Davis, Simon and Nathan can all depart. But most likely, DET will give top dollar to Cespedes, R. Davis and Simon and let Price, Avila and Soria walk.

I see a 3rd place finish even with all healthy. I hate the bullpen, no 2 hole hitter or leadoff. Who is the SS if Iggy can't play? Horrible defense at 3rd and 1st. I don't see the wins coming from starters lost vs. who we acquired. It's a mess. People are gonna hate Cespedes defense, he has a good arm but wait and see the other defensive fundamentals or lack thereof. Ill watch all the games and root for them but my expectations are low.

Here is how they win it. Jv returns to 2011 12 form. Price wins 20. Sanchez stays healthy. Greene be a solid starter. Lights out bullpen. Casty improves defensively and offensively. Iggy stays healthy and establish 2 hole hitting spot. Avila hit more. VMart and Miggy play 140 games healthy. Have some pop off the bench. JD Martinez hits like he did last year. Cespedes plats average D. Kinsler plays like last year. Simon steps in at any role needed in bullpen. Asmus not managing game like Leyland. No faith in Nathan or Rondon.

Last edited:
Back