Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who would be on your bench?

2014 Away

McCann 219 PA 3 HR 21 XBH 9 BB .330 OBP .426 SLG .756 OPS 73.0 PA/HR 10.4 PA/XBH 24.3 PA/BB

Green 237 PA 11 HR 24 XBH 14 BB .339 OBP .512 SLG .851 OPS 21.5 PA/HR 9.9 PA/XBH 16.9 PA/BB

2014 Away

McCann 219 PA 3 HR 21 XBH 9 BB .330 OBP .426 SLG .756 OPS 73.0 PA/HR 10.4 PA/XBH 24.3 PA/BB

Green 237 PA 11 HR 24 XBH 14 BB .339 OBP .512 SLG .851 OPS 21.5 PA/HR 9.9 PA/XBH 16.9 PA/BB

pretty small sample size and different level of competition.

pretty small sample size and different level of competition.

I don't care what you want to get hung up on. And you were the one "fixating" on 1 year's worth of data.

Bottom line, Green has more power. The quality of pitchers doesn't necessarily influence how far a ball flies once it is hit. I have already explained why Green was stuck in A ball. That certainly doesn't change him having raw power.

I don't care what you want to get hung up on. And you were the one "fixating" on 1 year's worth of data.

Bottom line, Green has more power. The quality of pitchers doesn't necessarily influence how far a ball flies once it is hit. I have already explained why Green was stuck in A ball. That certainly doesn't change him having raw power.

Only one year of data because that is all we have on him. The previous year he only had 2 HR in +- 125 PA. I agree that the quality of pitchers don't necessarily influence how far a ball flies once it is hit but they certainly do influence the batter's ability to get the bat on the ball.

If you want power off the bench might as well bring up Steven Moya instead of Avery...35 HR and 32 doubles last year

I think the bottom line in this discussion is everyone agrees the Tigers need some power off the bench. I know very little about McCann or Green, but I think its fair to say that at the end of the year with limited at bats I don't think their numbers would be all that different (assuming no injuries). I do think Moya could be a good option, as I don't think Gose has any business being in the majors.

I'd love for Green's play to force them to take him north with them. Some pop off the bench has been lacking for too long. Enough with the tiny tots. I'd rather not see Moya sitting on the bench. Leave him at Toledo until we have an everyday job for him.

Only one year of data because that is all we have on him. The previous year he only had 2 HR in +- 125 PA. I agree that the quality of pitchers don't necessarily influence how far a ball flies once it is hit but they certainly do influence the batter's ability to get the bat on the ball.

If you want power off the bench might as well bring up Steven Moya instead of Avery...35 HR and 32 doubles last year

First and foremost, we started with the notion of backup catcher to Avila. It is probably down to McCann and Green, with the advantage going to McCann because the organization has invested in him. My drothers is to have someone who can also serve as a game changer, something McCann hasn't been or ever be with the bat. Green has been, regardless of the league. Xavier Avery probably plays just as good defense as Gose, runs just as well if not better and he knows how to take a walk. Green hits lefties well in his 1.5 years and with huge power. Avila cannot hit lefties. There is no other player in our lineup that an opposing manager would bring in a lefty for. We are so right handed hitter dominant it isn't funny. The only players McCann or Green would pinch hit for is Iglesias or Avila and he would use Hernan Perez to pinch hit for Iglesias.

If we assume Cespedes and J.D. hold down the corner OF spots, then we are looking at CF as the next huge weakness. Davis is fine versus LHP and limited time in CF. Gose's defense does not make up for his Adam Everett offense. When Davis isn't in the game, we need another hitter who can hit at the top of the order and get on base. Moya is none of that. End of story. And based on their last 3 years of data, Collins would be more valuable than Moya if we were going that route. At least Collins has demonstrated his power for more than one year.

Dombrowski said today that Perez and Romine will work in the outfield this spring in order to compete for the Don Kelly role. Why can't they ever leave guys in their natural positions?! Go get a utility man, dude. DD has no value on defense whatsoever.

So now it's known as the Don Kelly role? I guess that means they'll be average in the field sometimes and sub-average other times.

So now it's known as the Don Kelly role? I guess that means they'll be average in the field sometimes and sub-average other times.

He also pretty much said he tried like hell to re-sign Kelly, but Kelly chose Miami due to there being a better chance at ML playing time.

Ramon Santiago still available. The real bad news is he was just about as good as any of what the Tigers had last season! The really bad news is Tigers have little better this year. He can back up 2b, SS, 3b. And played some LF or the Reds as well, in 2014. Everyone ready for another year of Romine/Perez?

Ramon Santiago still available. The real bad news is he was just about as good as any of what the Tigers had last season! The really bad news is Tigers have little better this year. He can back up 2b, SS, 3b. And played some LF or the Reds as well, in 2014. Everyone ready for another year of Romine/Perez?

Santiago isn't available. He signed a minor league deal with TOR.

Santiago isn't available. He signed a minor league deal with TOR.

Well he was on the available ESPN list when I looked at it. Got to stop trusting them I guess. At the same time I would just trade just about any one on our bench for Santiago. That should tell you hat I think of the bench.
And right now the bench/farm will not replace any of our injured stars. Talk about a top heavy team. One goes down and ouch; two go down and hurt too much!

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...detroit-tigers-roster-bryan-holaday/70660294/

Bench

McCann
Perez
Romine
Davis/Gose

I don't see a single pinch-hitter.

Davis will be on the bench most days, so he would be a solid pinch hitter..however, most 8th and 9th inning relievers are RHP, and the opposing manager would throw a righty at him anyway. I think we should go get a guy like Ryan Ludwick as a power bench option. Collins could have been a solid pinch hitter, too. Keeping both Romine and Perez is straight looney. I don't think both will be on the roster come May. I would bet Perez is sent down in favor of Collins or Moya.

Last edited:
Rebbiv, who do you think makes the bullpen cut? Joba blew another game today and has been walking guys left and right. I think he should be released. Nathan should make the team, but only as a MRP. Soria needs to close, with AA/Rondon handling the 8th inning.

Ausmus thinks we wont need pinch hitters. Apparently he already forgot about how the playoffs ended last season.

Having both Perez and Romine is redundant.

Perez = Don Kelly player
Collins = Power lefty off the bench
McCann = Catcher
Gose/Davis = OF/PinchRunner

Speed/Power/Versatility

Back