Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Alan Trammell: Most underrated player of all time

What MLB Achievements? What MLB records did Alan tie or break as a player?

Like it or not, the HOF is about accomplishments, achievements and records. Otherwise it would be called the Hall Of WAR (or) Hall Of Best Math Stats.

I absolutely loved Tram as a player. But he did nothing that equals or exceeds others in examples on why Tram should be in, versus someone else. So before you cite examples of of others with lesser-valued stats, be sure to include that 'these others" didn't tie or break some-sort of major league record (or) had a MLB achievement that wasn't included in your reply.

It's easy to find out what HOF players have accomplished, that separates them from others. Google search is the best place for that. Fast references for individual HOF member accomplishments can be found at Wikipedia. Many times the search can be fast / quick.

Tram and Lou have a chance to go in together at some point, by the Vets committee. As being the longest served together as middle infielders. If Tram gets in another 5-10 years as having worked in MLB for 35-40 years after his retirement, that will help his chances too.

Barry Larkin is in the HOF. What accomplishments, achievements and records separate him? Looking at his stats on baseball reference he didn't lead the league in any single stat in his 19 year career.

IMHO, add Mickey Lolich to the list. Still the American League strikeout leader for a left handed pitcher.

He is 18th on the career list for strikeouts. Everyone above him has made it, except Schilling, who should also make it.

At 19th is Mike Mussina, another pitcher I believe deserves to be in.

I agree totally... ML was something....

Like it or not, the HOF is about accomplishments, achievements and records. Otherwise it would be called the Hall Of WAR (or) Hall Of Best Math Stats.

I absolutely loved Tram as a player. But he set nor tied any records/accomplishments nationally, that equals or exceeds others in examples on why Tram should be in, versus someone else. So before you cite examples of of others with lesser-valued stats, be sure to include that 'these others" didn't tie or break some-sort of major league record (or) had a MLB achievement that wasn't included in your reply.

It's easy to find out what HOF players have accomplished, that separates them from others. Google search is the best place for that. Fast references for individual HOF member accomplishments can be found at Wikipedia. Many times the search can be fast / quick.

Tram and Lou have a chance to go in together at some point, by the Vets committee. As being the longest served together as middle infielders. If Tram gets in another 5-10 years as having worked in MLB for 35-40 years after his retirement, that will help his chances too.

1984 World Series MVP as an achievement

With Whitaker, the longest playing doubleplay combination in MLB history at 19 seasons

At the time of his retirement.

All Time Shortstops (21 SS in HoF)

5th in HRs (Vern Stephens only one ahead not to make HoF)
6th in WAR7 (Everyone above him has made it. Jeter, A-Rod, Garciaparra and Trammell are the only TOP 18 not to be in)
8th in WAR (Bill Dahlen only one ahead not to make HoF)
9th in Hits (Bill Dahlen only one ahead not to make HoF)
9th in Doubles (Dick Bartell and Bill Dahlen only ones ahead not to make HoF)
9th in JAWS ((Bill Dahlen only one ahead not to make HoF. of the TOP 20, only Trammell, A-Rod, Dahlen, Jeter and Jack Glasscock haven't made it).

Clearly when comparing him against who already is in the HoF, Trammell has merits. As well as Bill Dahlen.

I absolutely loved Tram as a player. But he set nor tied any records/accomplishments nationally, that equals or exceeds others in examples on why Tram should be in, versus someone else. So before you cite examples of of others with lesser-valued stats, be sure to include that 'these others" didn't tie or break some-sort of major league record (or) had a MLB achievement that wasn't included in your reply.

You should take your own advice in this matter.

I will use what I always do. Tram was better than Ozzie, just no flip. His offensive stats blew Ozzie's away. And Tram was still one hell of a defensive player. There should be no way Ozzie gets in with 90+% of the votes and Tram doesn't even get close to getting in..

It's a sham. I suspect if he didn't play the same time Ripken did, or had a flip, he would have been in long ago.

I will use what I always do. Tram was better than Ozzie, just no flip. His offensive stats blew Ozzie's away. And Tram was still one hell of a defensive player. There should be no way Ozzie gets in with 90+% of the votes and Tram doesn't even get close to getting in..

It's a sham. I suspect if he didn't play the same time Ripken did, or had a flip, he would have been in long ago.

I have said the same thing over and over.

I will use what I always do. Tram was better than Ozzie, just no flip.

Do you ave any idea what Ozzie's defensive numbers look like today, had he played on Tiger Stadium's tall grass? Yes Tram was a better hitter. But had Ozzie agreed on a Tigers contract when drafted by Detroit and stayed with the Tigers his entire career, he would have produced mammoth highlight reels for decades to come.

Last edited:
Do you ave any idea what Ozzie's defensive numbers look like today, had he played on Tiger Stadium's tall grass? Yes Tram was a better hitter. But had Ozzie agreed on a Tigers contract when drafted by Detroit and stayed with the Tigers his entire career, he would have produced mammoth highlight reels for decades to come.

Wrong. Tram was the better player..if Tram hit in St. Louis he might hit 50 doubles a season..

I don't know if I could have said it any better myself.

Back