Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Price signs contract, is open to an extension

I don't get all the negative talk about high payroll. Why are some of you guys mad that an owner is spending more of his own money? It's not like we have monster increases in ticket prices. I can see debating HOW the Tiger's are spending money. Just don't understand the bitching about the fact that they keep getting higher payrolls. I would think that the only people that would have a beef with Mike I spending more are his kids. Not a bunch of jerk offs on a message board.
It's simple, the way this team is headed with the current payroll and structure is going to be ugly. In 2 or 3 years they will closely resemble the phillies. I'm all for going all in for a title, but if you miss you are sacrificing the distant future.

This isnt new york or LA where they can out spend their problems because they are printing money. Fact is this team does not make money and illitch is the only reason this team has a top 5 payroll. Unfortunately when he is gone I doubt they will spend like they have.

Well, I guess some of us "jerk offs" are smart enough to look past the present and understand it reflects on the future makeup of out team. Several high end contracts can only be balanced out by a bunch more low end ones. But hey, it worked for Philly right?

So you see into the future now? Who's to say we don't trade some of the players with big contracts in the next few years or some of the "low end ones" become very good players?

We have a pretty good team right now and I'm just fine with that.

So you see into the future now? Who's to say we don't trade some of the players with big contracts in the next few years or some of the "low end ones" become very good players?

We have a pretty good team right now and I'm just fine with that.

Can you see into the future as well? Because I really want to know how you know we have a pretty good team.

Can you see into the future as well? Because I really want to know how you know we have a pretty good team.

Pretty easy. I'm referring to our CURRENT roster. He's referring to a roster that doesn't exist yet. Do I need to explain the difference between present and future?

This upcoming season is still the future. The current roster definitely has the potential to be good or even very good, but we wont know for a few months. Just too many question marks to say with 100% certainty that this team will be good. Guys could have down years, injuries could hit us again, etc.

That being said, the likelihood that the team is good/very good is higher than anything else.

Questions for the team for this season:
- Will Miggy be healthy and productive?
- Will JV be healthy and productive?
- Will Sanchez be healthy and productive?
- Which Kinsler will show up, the awesome first half, abysmal 2nd half, or something in-between?
- Which Simon will show up, the awesome first half, abysmal 2nd half, or something in-between?
- Will JDMart produce anything close to what he did last year or was he a one-year fluke?
- How much will VMart fall off? (I doubt he'll be as good as last year, but still good)
- How much will Castellanos improve on both sides of the ball?
- Will Gose not suck ass?
- Will Cespedes hit enough homers and play good enough defense to offset being shit at everything else?
- Will the bullpen not be fucking terrible this year?
- Will Iggy be productive enough after a whole year off?
- Will Ausmus properly use the platoons we'll have set up?
- Will Ausmus stop being a complete fucking moron?

Thats just off the top of my head. We'll see how it all goes.

Last edited:
Pretty easy. I'm referring to our CURRENT roster. He's referring to a roster that doesn't exist yet. Do I need to explain the difference between present and future?

The bottom line is neither one of you can see into the future. Based on DD's recent trade history I would say it isn't likely that he will pull off any trades where he sends away high contracts for GOOD young players.

The future is not look very bright for this organization...IMO

This upcoming season is still the future. The current roster definitely has the potential to be good or even very good, but we wont know for a few months. Just too many question marks to say with 100% certainty that this team will be good. Guys could have down years, injuries could hit us again, etc.

That being said, the likelihood that the team is good/very good is higher than anything else.

Questions for the team for this season:
- Will Miggy be healthy and productive?
- Will JV be healthy and productive?
- Will Sanchez be healthy and productive?
- Which Kinsler will show up, the awesome first half, abysmal 2nd half, or something in-between?
- Which Simon will show up, the awesome first half, abysmal 2nd half, or something in-between?
- Will JDMart produce anything close to what he did last year or was he a one-year fluke?
- How much will VMart fall off? (I doubt he'll be as good as last year, but still good)
- How much will Castellanos improve on both sides of the ball?
- Will Gose not suck ass?
- Will Cespedes hit enough homers and play good enough defense to offset being shit at everything else?
- Will the bullpen not be fucking terrible this year?
- Will Iggy be productive enough after a whole year off?
- Will Ausmus properly use the platoons we'll have set up?
- Will Ausmus stop being a complete fucking moron?

Thats just off the top of my head. We'll see how it all goes.

I see more no answers than yes.

I can't wait until baseball season. Epic greatness or Epic fail it's still better than working..

But his point was you can't predict this team any different than he can pick down the road. No way to know if this team is good or not.

BP & pathetic bench have been and still are the Tigers' weaksauce. No mention of Alice behind & @ the plate?

Will VerHagen, Lobstein, Ryan and Farmer all start for the Muddies?... or will 1-2 work their way into our bullpen?

I am fine with Collins and McCann. I am not fine with Gose and Perez/Romine on the bench.

Last edited:
I am not fine with Gose and Perez/Romine on the bench.[/QUOTE]

B prepared to b an unhappy camper then.

Unfortunately it will probably take 6 years and $170M to get it done. Let's hope DD and Mr I have the smarts to pass on a contract like that!

If Max got 7 - 210 expect Price who is a better pitcher to want/get more.

Honestly? I'd probably sign Price to a contact like that.

I would too if I could trade Kinsler, possibly Sanchez as well.

Get us back to having 3 big/long term contracts and manage the rest between mid-level contracts and young players, then we would have room to build on.

But as it stands now, I'd rather trade Price for a nice prospect haul.

If you get Price for Scherzer money, then do it. He's a better pitcher and much less of an injury risk. Trading Kinsler would be ideal, except we traded out top 2B prospect. I'd still do it, though.. we could plug that hole through a trade possibly.

Back