Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Max the Nat

Good for Max. He turned down last years 6/144 offer and earned himself an extra year and an additional 36-50 million dollars....and still has a good shot to compete for a world series title.

Glad we passed. Would love Shields instead.

edit, hearing Shields wants a ridiculous contract. 2 years $25 million a year plus.

Last edited:
The deal is for $210 million with half deferred, FOX Sports reported. Scherzer reportedly will receive $15 million annually for 14 years.

That is insane...I don't know how I feel about this. Even though there is no 'Salary Cap' in baseball, each team has their own annual maximum budget they can spend while remaining profitable. By reducing the annual cap hit by 1/2 seems like it is circumventing the nature of this...

However, on the other hand - the nationals are going to be paying Scherzer 15 million dollars a year for 7 years AFTER hes gone. That is freaking insane to think of....

Holy Fuckapotamus! Great deal for Max. I guess it would be impossible to blow through your money with a deal like that.

The deal is for $210 million with half deferred, according to multiple reports. Scherzer reportedly will receive $15 million annually for 14 years. The deal also includes a record $50 million signing bonus, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press.

Wow... $210mil over 14yrs?!?!? Insanity. I'm surprised anyone went that many dollars, years, or deferred like the awful Bonilla deal. Good for Max, but glad we didn't touch that.

Insane

Way to much for a guy often only good for 6 innings a start but hey its thier money...well ok maybe he'll ave 6 1/2 -7 since it's the national league facing pitchers..anyway Tigers starting rotation will be fine without him imo

Last edited:
Not sure why he gets looked at as a 6 inning pitcher. When it was closer to 7, 8th in the AL with regards to IP. More than half of his starts were 7 or more with only 4 less than 6 (only 1 of them bad). Only 2 starts under 100 pitches, both above 90.

Last edited:
Not sure why he gets looked at as a 6 inning pitcher. When it was closer to 7, 8th in the AL with regards to IP. More than half of his starts were 7 or more with only 4 less than 6 (only 1 of them bad). Only 2 starts under 100 pitches, both above 90.

Idk just seemed like he was always getting yanked in the 6th and always battling high pitch counts early

Whatever

$105 Mil is deferred money. It does not take a payroll hit until it is starting to be paid out. The Nats can take the $105 Mil money right now (or some other required figure) and place it in an annuity or other investment vehicle. If done properly, and the market doesn't tank, the first few years of payout will be from the interest earned from that annuity.

Next 7 years

Base Salary = $7.9 Mil a year

Bonus ($50 Mil) = $7.1 Mil a year (Max gets a $607,000 tax break on this money per year)

After the contract = $105 Mil, $15 Mil a year for 7 years

I think this was a very ingenious way of doing business. The Nats get Max for the next 7 years at just $15 Mil a year and Max gets his money long term. Win/win for both sides.

Insane

Way to much for a guy often only good for 6 innings a start but hey its thier money...well ok maybe he'll ave 6 1/2 -7 since it's the national league facing pitchers..anyway Tigers starting rotation will be fine without him imo

Last 2 years (top 30 Innings Pitched)

Kershaw 7.24 IP/GS
D. Price 7.13 IP/GS
Wainwright 7.10 IP/GS
C. Sale 6.93 IP/GS
F. Hernandez 6.77 IP/GS
Hamels 6.74 IP/GS
Shields 6.70 IP/GS
Scherzer 6.69 IP/GS
Lester 6.66 IP/GS
Samardzija 6.57 IP/GS
Bumgarner 6.54 IP/GS
Iwakuma 6.54 IP/GS
R.A. Dickey 6.48 IP/GS
E. Santana 6.46 IP/GS
Teheran 6.46 IP/GS
J. Zimmerman 6.45 IP/GS
Colon 6.44 IP/GS
Verlander 6.43 IP/GS
Guthrie 6.37 IP/GS
Leake 6.35 IP/GS
Burnett 6.32 IP/GS
Lohse 6.30 IP/GS
Kuroda 6.26 IP/GS
Buehrle 6.24 IP/GS
Strasburg 6.22 IP/GS
Tillman 6.17 IP/GS
Quintana 6.16 IP/GS
L. Lynn 6.14 IP/GS
Miley 6.12 IP/GS
C.J. Wilson 6.06 IP/GS

Others
Darvish 6.56 IP/GS
Fister 6.52 IP/GS
Kluber 6.52 IP/GS
J. Weaver 6.34 IP/GS
Greinke 6.33 IP/GS
Porcello 6.26 IP/GS
A. Sanchez 6.14 IP/GS

Couple questions come to mind.
One on year eight of the contract when the Nats are paying out 15 M's for nothing. Does those Millions go towards the Luxury Tax?
Two IMHO the Nats were going to win the NL East. So now there going to win it going away. Couldn't they have used the money better?
IMO this contract is going to become the mother of bad contracts at some point.

And OBTW it now 210 M's I'm here to tell you from 5:00 this morning till whenever 210 pop up man how the money climbs. Boras must where the tree grows!

Last edited:
One on year eight of the contract when the Nats are paying out 15 M's for nothing. Does those Millions go towards the Luxury Tax?
Two IMHO the Nats were going to win the NL East. So now there going to win it going away. Couldn't they have used the money better?

And OBTW it now 210 M's I'm here to tell you from 5:00 this morning till whenever 210 pop up man how the money climbs. Boras must where the tree grows!

I think that money does go towards the luxury tax threshold...even if he is gone.

The luxury tax only applies while he is playing and does not include the $50 Mil bonus money.

For luxury-tax purposes, #Nationals will be charged present-day value of salaries in each of seven years on Scherzer?s deal, per rival exec.

? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) January 19, 2015

So, luxury-tax salaries for Scherzer likely will be in $26M-$27M range rather than $30M for each of his seven years in deal with #Nationals.

? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) January 19, 2015

Sorry to see Max go, he's a great pitcher. On the other hand, glad to see the Tigers not saddle themselves with another ridiculous contract.

Last 2 years (top 30 Innings Pitched)

Kershaw 7.24 IP/GS
D. Price 7.13 IP/GS
Wainwright 7.10 IP/GS
C. Sale 6.93 IP/GS
F. Hernandez 6.77 IP/GS
Hamels 6.74 IP/GS
Shields 6.70 IP/GS
Scherzer 6.69 IP/GS

I'd like to see that list in terms of quality start %. I could be wrong but I bet Scherzer is way lower, highly doubt he cracks the top 10.

Back