Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Torii to Twins

You don't know the root of the whole thing that is why you don't understand.

It's not just as simple as his stance on the political subject, why don't you and your buddy google do some work again and get to the bottom of it.

This part is response to Tinsel since I'm too busy to make a separate post/quote: You say it obviously did not affect his free agency, I think it did. While he got the money he wanted (grossly overpaid too IMO) I'm sure some teams did not even consider him at all. and again, this goes deeper than just his backing of Hutchinson for Governor of Arkansas.

The root of the whole thing? Thee whole thing is he doesn't support Gay Marriages. So. Are reporters suppose to now ask questions, at a sports news conference, about anything they like? You have no proof it effected his free agency yet "I'm sure some teams didn't consider him at all" based on that issue?

Thumb, you just know. You're the lkp of the non sports world. We should all bow down to you..

I think teams didn't consider him at all is because he is a washed up RF that is a liability...not because he is against gay marriage. If he were a 28 year old gold glove OF that hit .300 and 25 HRs teams would be lining up to sign him!

Truth.

I think both of you, or those on each side of the fence have some 'truth' to the whole situation.
He did 'ok' for the Tigers, made some good plays and some we were shaking our heads wondering wtf. For all the improvements the Tigers tried to do for 2014 with better defense and more speed, it was kind of a wash. More team speed and stolen bases, and some incredibly boneheaded baserunning blunders....and the defense was better at some positions, but Torii in RF and Clown Shoes at 3rd were bad by any metric including the eyes.

The root of the whole thing? Thee whole thing is he doesn't support Gay Marriages. So. Are reporters suppose to now ask questions, at a sports news conference, about anything they like? You have no proof it effected his free agency yet "I'm sure some teams didn't consider him at all" based on that issue?

Thumb, you just know. You're the lkp of the non sports world. We should all bow down to you..

2012: http://deadspin.com/5972269/torii-h...ity-is-not-right-then-claims-he-was-misquoted -Hunter says he's not anti-gay And get pissed at a reporter for quoting him.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...ger-gay-teammate-uncomfortable_n_2387575.html Hunter posts on twitter that what reporters are writing is not true.

October, 2014: http://deadspin.com/torii-hunter-doubles-down-on-his-anti-gay-beliefs-1652553533 Odd, it seems like the reporters were right the first time, and Torii was just trying to cover his ass from a P.R. standpoint.

So yeah Mitch, it's more than just his stance on gay marriage you moron. You're the lkp of everything, you say shit like you think you know what you're talking about, but really you're just a clueless fool.

Google 1, Mitch 0

I think teams didn't consider him at all is because he is a washed up RF that is a liability...not because he is against gay marriage. If he were a 28 year old gold glove OF that hit .300 and 25 HRs teams would be lining up to sign him!

You're right about the ability being the main reason, but even still some teams could never sign him because of the P.R. hit they would take, mostly teams in big liberal areas like NY, SF, LA, etc. Just like NYY would never sign Delmon Young because of his anti-semantic troubles there.

And as far as the second part of what you said, tell that to Barry Bonds. Nobody offered him a contract at all, and he was probably better than half the corner OF and DH's playing in 2008.

If Hunter doesn't want to get asked about his personal opinions, he shouldnt make them very public like he did. If youre not going to keep your opinions private (controversial or otherwise), you have to expect to be asked about it when you're a public figure like a sports player.

Last edited:
Didn't see the press conference, did he really call someone a prick, doesn't sound like something he'd say that would be funny if he did though

Oh wow ok then so he did call the reporter a prick. how bout that. Seems out of public character for him and he probably shouldn't have said that but all in all meh I don't blame Torri for calling him a prick. maybe 4 times was a bit excessive though. calm down Torri. LOL

You're right about the ability being the main reason, but even still some teams could never sign him because of the P.R. hit they would take, mostly teams in big liberal areas like NY, SF, LA, etc. Just like NYY would never sign Delmon Young because of his anti-semantic troubles there.

And as far as the second part of what you said, tell that to Barry Bonds. Nobody offered him a contract at all, and he was probably better than half the corner OF and DH's playing in 2008.

What PR hit? If guys can play they get offers, if not they get less. Somehow you think Hunter should have gotten a dozen offers? What so special about him?

He didn't bash did he? Lots of people are against gay marriages and would be uncomfortable with a gay teammate. He's not the first and won't be the last, no proof in any of what you say..

It sounds to me that the reporter is a prick. Good for Torii for pointing it out. It doesn't matter what an athlete thinks about anything, so why ask? The only reason why the guy asked him about the gays was to make him look bad to someone. Torii should have told him to go and fuck himself so that he can remain neutral on the issue.

I hope that Torii has a great year for the Twins. He has always been a classy player, and I like the idea of him finishing out his career in front of the fans that love him the most. He will have a job on the MLB network or some other baseball outlet once he retires. We haven't heard the last of Mr. Hunter.

Last edited:
It sounds to me that the reporter is a prick. Good for Torii for pointing it out. It doesn't matter what an athlete thinks about anything, so why ask? The only reason why the guy asked him about the gays was to make him look bad to someone. Torii should have told him to go and fuck himself so that he can remain neutral on the issue.

I hope that Torii has a great year for the Twins. He has always been a classy player, and I like the idea of him finishing out his career in front of the fans that love him the most. He will have a job on the MLB network or some other baseball outlet once he retires. We haven't heard the last of Mr. Hunter.

Torii actually handled the question right the first time, said no comment ask me after I retire. But he couldn't let it go.

I said a 28 year old that hit .300 with 25 HRs....not a 43 year old that was "suspected" of using steroids and HGH.

It is amazing though...he hit .276 with 28 HRs, .480 OBP and a 1.045 OPS at the age of 42! He lead the NL in OBP, walks and intentional walks.

I said a 28 year old that hit .300 with 25 HRs....not a 43 year old that was "suspected" of using steroids and HGH.

It is amazing though...he hit .276 with 28 HRs, .480 OBP and a 1.045 OPS at the age of 42! He lead the NL in OBP, walks and intentional walks.

The exact age of the example is meaningless. The point is if P.R. meant nothing, he would have been offered a contract by someone, the guy was still putting up close to MVP type numbers.

The exact age of the example is meaningless. The point is if P.R. meant nothing, he would have been offered a contract by someone, the guy was still putting up close to MVP type numbers.

my point was if he was good AND young the negative PR would be meaningless. As far as negative PR...to compare Barry Bonds and the steroids to Torii Hunter and his opinion on gays is apples to oranges. I am a die hard Tigers fan and never heard that about Torii Hunter until this thread. Barry Bonds doing steroids was the biggest story in sports.

my point was if he was good AND young the negative PR would be meaningless. As far as negative PR...to compare Barry Bonds and the steroids to Torii Hunter and his opinion on gays is apples to oranges. I am a die hard Tigers fan and never heard that about Torii Hunter until this thread. Barry Bonds doing steroids was the biggest story in sports.

Then I don't know what to say, it has been mentioned more than a few times. Both by posters and in articles in KC's Tigers notes thread. :shrug:

Add me to the list that never heard until this thread..I guess that opens me up to some thumb mockery.

So yeah Mitch, it's more than just his stance on gay marriage you moron. You're the lkp of everything, you say shit like you think you know what you're talking about, but really you're just a clueless fool.

Google 1, Mitch 0

Was this the correct answer? Your PR just took a hit.

Back