Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stupid Tigers Trade Porcello for Cespedes + trade Suarez for Simple Simon from reds

Just got back and noticed that ban. A delayed celebration from me.

KgoIF.gif

When we had Ordonez he play right b/c he was slow a foot. Seem to me we would want Cespedes out in left and J.D. Matinez in right for better coverage of the out field. And another way of looking at it a strong arm in left keeps singles to singles. .And then keeps the DP in play when less than outs. The 1st to 3rd is really more about good base running. And here the ball finds the ground. IMO this would seem to be the way to set the D. Just thinking out loud here.

Just got back and noticed that ban. A delayed celebration from me.

Was something like an LKP clone for the Tigers board, but with filthy fingers and his grammar/spelling teacher failed miserably. All sunshine and rainbows over the Tigers team and its brass who apparently can do or did little if anything wrong. I understand that what gets posted here is often constructive criticism and know that those who post regularly only want the ballclub/players to achieve their goals & succeed next season.

Last edited:
You know a whole bunch of this slap talk could be avoided by doing one simple thing. That would be stay on topic! Grammar/spelling really ever no and then I hit the wrong key many times with this laptop the W key does not type at all. I spend lots of time going over my post and still get some wrong!
The topic is trade of Porcello for Cespedes. And really how Cespedes fits in on the Tigers NOW. IMO he needs to bat in ass much of a key spot as the Tigers can get him in. That would be in front of Cabrera 2nd to get on base or behind V-Mart,J.D.M say 6th to driver runs.
I could even see V-Mart 2nd Cabrera 3rd Cespedes 4th and J.D.M 5th. The main reason I see Cespedes in the 2 spot ould to get him up as many times as possible. At the same time Tigers need to keep Cabrera in the 3 spot and V-mart in the top 4 spots.
Spring Training should get much of this sorted out. And OBTW I did not back up and get one of my W's fixed, I'm sure some ones anting to sound off. Had to hit the f a couple times as well. It's a message board.

hitting Cespedes 2nd so he can get on base wont work very well cuz he doesnt get on base much. he's best suited to 6th, IMO. No idea what we'll do with the top 2 spots vs RHP.

1 Gose
2 Kinsler
3 Cabrera
4 V - Mart
5 J.D. Martinez
6 Cespedes
7 Castellanos
8 Avila
9 Iglesias

Gose leadoff is an even worse idea unless he actually starts to hit RHP. Otherwise he should only hit 8th or 9th and never face LHP.

Maybe we could try hitting Castellanos 2nd. Who knows.

For me it's not so much about who leads off, but who hits 1 and 2 in front of Cabrera/Martinez/JD

Any actual logic say you need those guys to get on base for him. Period. If Kinsler can get close to his career OBP, and not the abysmal OBP he posted last year then maybe he can work in those spots, but if he forgets where he left his bat again like last year after June he should be hitting 9th. Gose....I just cannot say what to do with him, we have like 4 9th spot hitters wrapped around the thickest middle lineup in recent memory.

I'm thinking:

Miggy
VMART
Miggy
VMART
JD
Nick C.
Cespedes
Kinsler
Iggy
Davis/Gose

I know that's ten spots but that's what I'd do..

You know a whole bunch of this slap talk could be avoided by doing one simple thing. That would be stay on topic! Grammar/spelling really ever no and then I hit the wrong key many times with this laptop the W key does not type at all. I spend lots of time going over my post and still get some wrong!
The topic is trade of Porcello for Cespedes. And really how Cespedes fits in on the Tigers NOW. IMO he needs to bat in ass much of a key spot as the Tigers can get him in. That would be in front of Cabrera 2nd to get on base or behind V-Mart,J.D.M say 6th to driver runs.
I could even see V-Mart 2nd Cabrera 3rd Cespedes 4th and J.D.M 5th. The main reason I see Cespedes in the 2 spot ould to get him up as many times as possible. At the same time Tigers need to keep Cabrera in the 3 spot and V-mart in the top 4 spots.
Spring Training should get much of this sorted out. And OBTW I did not back up and get one of my W's fixed, I'm sure some ones anting to sound off. Had to hit the f a couple times as well. It's a message board.

Big different between a typo and full retard. Most people know the difference.

Anyways, it's off season, easy to get side tracked.

...see...

I'm thinking:

Miggy
VMART
Miggy
VMART
JD
Nick C.
Cespedes
Kinsler
Iggy
Davis/Gose

I know that's ten spots but that's what I'd do..

I'm completely on board with this. Good calls here.

Last edited:
I don't thing either you understando..I'll re-read the last few posts if I were you..

I still don't see how the Tigers were 'stupid' to trade Porcello, a mediocre at BEST pitcher who had a fluke year last year, for a 20+ HR, 100+ RBI player.

i know i opened a can of worms with the geeks (RBI's are irrelevant!, team stat garbage) but i like this trade, Cespedes is a better player than Porcello.

the fact of the matter is Porcello is a VERY replacable pitcher.

Last edited:
I still don't see how the Tigers were 'stupid' to trade Porcello, a mediocre at BEST pitcher who had a fluke year last year, for a 20+ HR, 100+ RBI player.

i know i opened a can of worms with the geeks (RBI's are irrelevant!, team stat garbage) but i like this trade, Cespedes is a better player than Porcello.

Player X flips a coin 100 times and it comes up heads 53 times and Player Y flips a coin 150 times and it comes up heads 60 times. Non-savvy baseball followers want Player Y because of the 60 times coming up heads over the 53 times.

There is no salary cap in baseball. Illitch is willing to spend whatever it takes to win a championship

Not quite. Theres no salary cap, but given their moves this offseason, DD and Ilitch appear extremely reluctant to hit the luxury tax level, so unless they just go "fuck it" and sign Max, we're likely done adding any payroll at all for the offseason. I think we've paid it once before, but I dont think they want to. If we DO sign Max and go over it, its going to be a very interesting offseason next year because I 100% guarantee you they won't go over it a 2nd year in a row because the amt paid for the tax jumps up.

http://beck.mlblogs.com/2014/12/20/tigers-reportedly-fell-just-2-mil-shy-of-luxury-tax/

Last edited:

You can't say he had a fluke year when he has had a sub 4.0 fip the last 3 years. Is it no mistake the first year they actually had a good infield defensively that he posted a sub 4 era?

Boston has a good infield defense as well, he will post a similar season this year in my opinion

There is no salary cap in baseball. Illitch is willing to spend whatever it takes to win a championship
Sorry but this is the dumbest argument when it comes to baseball. There is such thing as a budget every team has. There are owners that are worth less than illitch and spend more.

Then there are owners of teams like the Braves and A's who are two of the richest in baseball and wont break 100 million

Back