Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

Avila has always been solid in close/late games. He's had a bunch of big hits to tie or wins games that I can recall. The problem is that he's almost always hurt and that zaps his power for weeks at a time. He kinda reminds me of Inge. He's nowhere to be seen for several straight games and you start cursing him and wanting him gone, then he comes up with a big play every two weeks and people forget about the rest of the time he's stinking it up.

Hopefully platooning with McCann and not only playing in fewer games but facing much less LHP will help a lot.

Avila has always been solid in close/late games. He's had a bunch of big hits to tie or wins games that I can recall. The problem is that he's almost always hurt and that zaps his power for weeks at a time. He kinda reminds me of Inge. He's nowhere to be seen for several straight games and you start cursing him and wanting him gone, then he comes up with a big play every two weeks and people forget about the rest of the time he's stinking it up.

I cannot believe you compared him to Inge.

Avila is a top 10 catcher, who should only play against RHP. Nothing more, nothing less. Most expect 2011 Avila production and bitch we they don't get it.

Yes, I am concerned if Avila gets another concussion and yes this effects his game. Still, there is no one better controlling a pitching staff in my opinion, except maybe the Molinas (Yadier, Jose, etc).

Last edited:
I do not have enough fingers to count how many times the Tigers needed Avila to come up with a huge hit, and he cannot make it happen. You need to get a little production out of your catcher in the lineup. He doesn't have it.

You can apply that logic to many players on the team who have far less value. The guy gets on base int he top 5, and is the #1 guy at drawing walks. He has plenty of value if people are smart enough to recognize it.

You can apply that logic to many players on the team who have far less value. The guy gets on base int he top 5, and is the #1 guy at drawing walks. He has plenty of value if people are smart enough to recognize it.

Last season I won a bet with a golf buddy of mine. He was bashing Avila and I bet him $20 that Avila was top 4 in OBP on the team and he didn't believe me. Avila is not an offensive force but when compared to other catchers he is fine.

I cannot believe you compared him to Inge.

Avila is a top 10 catcher, who should only play against RHP. Nothing more, nothing less. Most expect 2011 Avila production and bitch we they don't get it.

Yes, I am concerned if Avila gets another concussion and yes this effects his game. Still, there is no one better controlling a pitching staff in my opinion, except maybe the Molinas (Yadier, Jose, etc).

I'm only comparing him to Inge in that he's got that tendency to do something special every two weeks or so, then piss me off in between. Inge was a way worse hitter and a completely delusional turd who I wanted out of here for years. I don't feel that way about Alex. He seems like a good guy who has had a string of bad luck injury-wise. I just wish the Tigers would platoon him more often because he's much better at the plate when he is fresh. You see glimpses of it when he returns from a few days off and has a streaky couple of games, then the bat goes cold when he gets his brain scrambled by another foul ball.

Navarro has been one of the worst battery mates for Price.

Catchers who have caught at least 60 IP with Price

J. Jaso 191.0 IP .217 BAVG .275 OBP .341 SLG .616 OPP OPS 3.58 SO/W 1.10 WHIP 2.59 BB/G

A. Avila 63.3 IP .235 BAVG .268 OBP .350 SLG .618 OPP OPS 6.00 SO/W 1.07 WHIP 1.56 BB/G

J. Lobaton 70.0 IP .277 BAVG .296 OBP .335 SLG .631 OPP OPS 3.08 SO/W 1.21 WHIP 3.34 BB/G

J. Molina 474.0 IP .239 BAVG .279 OBP .359 SLG .638 OPP OPS 5.74 SO/W 1.06 WHIP 1.48 BB/G

D. Navarro 128.3 IP .214 BAVG .310 OBP .350 SLG .660 OPP OPS 1.52 SO/W 1.26 WHIP 4.34 BB/G

K. Shppach 162.0 IP .241 BAVG .311 OBP .394 SLG .705 OPP OPS 2.69 SO/W 1.24 WHIP 3.06 BB/G

Or maybe you meant as a threat. "Sign an extension, or else we will trade for Navarro."
Glad you picked up on my sarcasm

Back