Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Scherzer or Price?

Sbee

It might be a good idea to try to sign Price long term this offseason, you get a feel about how likely he is to sign and that dictates what you should do with Scherzer. if the team want to keep one of the two long term, I'd offer them both a similar contract and see if one takes it. if Scherzer takes it, you let price walk, if Price takes it you let Scherzer walk. Part of me likes the idea of signing Scherzer and having a stacked rotation for one more year. Of course it's not that smart long term to sign 30 year old pitchers to 7yr deals but it's not my money either. those deals are only bad if they preclude you from making other roster moves, that's to be determined.

I don't think there is any value in either, long term. There is a drop off to Cy Young starters after the age of 30. Some, because of too many innings/injuries, are out of baseball by age 35. Others are OK, but not great.

Pedro Martinez

Johan Santana

Barry Zito

Mike Hampton

The list could go on and on of Cy Young or Cy Young caliber pitchers who signed long term contracts and became a financial liability to their teams or just didn't have the value.

I am not a fan of any long term contract that isn't laden with performance and incentives. 4 years with additional years contingent with Innings Pitched is what I would like to see.

I tend to agree with you Rebbiv, but reality quickly has to knock you over the head and make you realize that it's a seller's market and the athletes are going to continue to get more than they deserve (both in years and dollars), and there is almost always going to at least one suitor who will offer them the deal they are seeking. Understanding that will force you to either play by those rules and keep shelling out big money for "names", or you take the approach that the Rays, Astros, Royals, etc. take and try to build from within and sell off talent when it matures and starts to get costly. That switch won't be happening while Mr. I is around though. He's too old, too rich, loves superstars, and still wants a WS ring.

It might be a good idea to try to sign Price long term this offseason, you get a feel about how likely he is to sign and that dictates what you should do with Scherzer. if the team want to keep one of the two long term, I'd offer them both a similar contract and see if one takes it. if Scherzer takes it, you let price walk, if Price takes it you let Scherzer walk. Part of me likes the idea of signing Scherzer and having a stacked rotation for one more year. Of course it's not that smart long term to sign 30 year old pitchers to 7yr deals but it's not my money either. those deals are only bad if they preclude you from making other roster moves, that's to be determined.

I wouldn't put it past the Tigers to try to lock up both of them, and VMart this offseason. Doing so would cost HUGE money, but it would also put you right at the top of the list for WS contenders for next year. Even more than this year because you'd have Price for a full year, and a presumably healthier Miggy and JV to start the season.

I wouldn't put it past the Tigers to try to lock up both of them, and VMart this offseason. Doing so would cost HUGE money, but it would also put you right at the top of the list for WS contenders for next year. Even more than this year because you'd have Price for a full year, and a presumably healthier Miggy and JV to start the season.

The thing is, this hot and ready pizza is awesome.

I think we're going to have the money.

I'm going to put a call into my old schoolmate, Atanis.

Scherzer's gone. He turned down 144, is getting to that age.

With Price, let him pitch in '15. And then trade him ..

You cant do both with Price snce hes a FA after next year. We can trade him now or keep him and let him walk for a draft pick.

Here's an interesting question, who has more value, Scherzer or Price? I think many would argue for Scherzer because of what we saw this year and last, but Price is possibly the better pitcher and better investment.

Both guys have been in the league for 7yrs, both have just over 1200IP, but Scherzer is a RHP and 1yr older. Price has a more consistent track record, a better career FIP, ERA and WHIP. Scherzer also gives up slightly more HR and BB, but strikes out a slightly higher number of batters.

Gun to my head, I'm probably taking Price, but it's very difficult to argue against Max.

I have a gut feeling Mr. I is going to really try and resign Max...

Here's an interesting question, who has more value, Scherzer or Price? I think many would argue for Scherzer because of what we saw this year and last, but Price is possibly the better pitcher and better investment.

Both guys have been in the league for 7yrs, both have just over 1200IP, but Scherzer is a RHP and 1yr older. Price has a more consistent track record, a better career FIP, ERA and WHIP. Scherzer also gives up slightly more HR and BB, but strikes out a slightly higher number of batters.

Gun to my head, I'm probably taking Price, but it's very difficult to argue against Max.

Price is a far bigger name. And if you look at their careers, Scherzer has only recently made the transition from average to ace quality. Price has arguably been a top 10 pitcher for the last 4 years.

Scherzer advantages: going to be cheaper than Price in the end.

Scherzer disadvantages: free agent now, turned down more than he might get offered in FA. Not as good as Price overall.

Price advantages: under contract for 2015, can be traded for talent, higher quality pitcher than Scherzer based on track record

Price disadvantages: re-signing him will likely take more than Verlanders contract.

My opinion: let Max walk and trade Price once the right trade comes up. It's time to rebuild a little.

Price is a far bigger name. And if you look at their careers, Scherzer has only recently made the transition from average to ace quality. Price has arguably been a top 10 pitcher for the last 4 years.

Scherzer advantages: going to be cheaper than Price in the end.

Scherzer disadvantages: free agent now, turned down more than he might get offered in FA. Not as good as Price overall.

Price advantages: under contract for 2015, can be traded for talent, higher quality pitcher than Scherzer based on track record

Price disadvantages: re-signing him will likely take more than Verlanders contract.

My opinion: let Max walk and trade Price once the right trade comes up. It's time to rebuild a little.

I would be shopping him right now. Look at the playoff rosters among the final 4

Baltimore. Solid staff, good bull pen, no ace, no stars
KC. Shields, solid staff, great pen, great defense, no stars
St Louis, Ace with Wainright, solid staff, good bull pen, good defense, no real stars
SF. Cheap ace, solid staff, good bull pen, one star (Posey)

Baseball is not like the NBA. There are 25 man rosters and you need them all. Studs and scrubs doesn't work in baseball.

In a perfect world you let Scherzer walk and collect the 1st round pick. Then trade Price to St Louis for Shelby Miller and a bp arm. Then use the the money that would go to Price this year in arbitration to sign Brandon McCarthy and Andrew Miller.

But thats a perfect world

In a perfect world you let Scherzer walk and collect the 1st round pick. Then trade Price to St Louis for Shelby Miller and a bp arm. Then use the the money that would go to Price this year in arbitration to sign Brandon McCarthy and Andrew Miller.

and makes too much sense for the Tigers braintrust to do.

That would be perfect...unfortunately, the Cardinals usually don't do stupid things!

I could go with that. I still think that we're going to sign at least one of Scherzer/Price though. Who was the last superstar that Mr. I allowed to be traded away or let walk away for a draft pick?

That would be perfect...unfortunately, the Cardinals usually don't do stupid things!
Cardinals were the team the tigers were bidding against for Price. If you believe the trade rumors Miller was one of the pieces being offered to Tampa along with other prospects.

Cardinals were the team the tigers were bidding against for Price. If you believe the trade rumors Miller was one of the pieces being offered to Tampa along with other prospects.

but that was for 2 post seasons of Price.

but that was for 2 post seasons of Price.
And now they have one, with a possible extension. So it wont cost the tavares or wong.

If you want to say another team thats fine too. There are a lot of good young controllable arms out there you could get for Price.

Here is the real question who has the money to sign Scherzer to a 6 yr.+, 150 million + contract. Lester, Shields, Vogelsong And a few others are going to affect the money in some ways.
IMO it's not as much about the money as it is about what team has the best chance of winning a WS. Right now Tigers D and BP just don't add up to the JOB!

damn-good-stuff.gif

Back