Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Soria, Scherzer, VMart

af1991

DETROIT -- Reliever Joakim Soria's $7 million option for 2015 was exercised Friday by the Detroit Tigers.

Detroit would have had to pay a $500,000 buyout if it had declined the option on the 30-year-old right-hander, who was acquired from Texas in July.

Soria had 17 saves for the Rangers, then strained an oblique in August and pitched only 11 innings for the Tigers in the regular season. Soria gave up Delmon Young's go-ahead, three-run triple in the eighth inning of the Game 2 loss to Baltimore in the AL Division Series.

Detroit also made $15.3 million qualifying offers to right-hander Max Scherzer and designated hitter Victor Martinez, well ahead of Monday's deadline. Detroit would receive draft-pick compensation if either of those free agent stars signs with another major league team before the amateur draft in June.

Detroit sent right-hander Evan Reed and utilityman Don Kelly to Triple-A Toledo. Outfielder Andy Dirks, who missed this entire season because of a back issue, was claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays, and left-hander Patrick McCoy was claimed off waivers by the Baltimore Orioles.

The Tigers also selected the contract of outfielder Wynton Bernard from Class A West Michigan.

Does this mean they're actually going to use Soria next season?

Last edited:
Lost dirks and McCoy wtf, picked up,the option on soria, for gawd sakes why

I'm glad they didn't lose faith in Soria after having a bad 2nd half. He's worth keeping.

I'm glad they didn't lose faith in Soria after having a bad 2nd half. He's worth keeping.

I think so too. you can only get so many RP through free agency, might as well keep the one we have. Dirks, no loss there.

I wouldn't expect Soria to be like he was for us in 2015. I'd expect him to be back to normal, or at least thereabouts.

Agree! His injury made it difficult to even throw the baseball straight.

McCoy was no loss really. Dirk's mid-to-lower back is and will remain an issue with him. He will play good for 4-6 weeks, then wham, start hurting again. It'll probably stay with him indefinitely.

Last edited:
Bottom line losing Dirk = keeping Kelly. ! ?
What this really means Tigers need a Starter, DH, Outfielder, Reliever or two. That four could be as many as 6 that will be needed.

Let's see. We already have Soria, Nathan, AA, and Rondon going into next year. We figure Soria is the 8th inning guy as of right now, with Nathan closing. I actually think one big reliever signing would give us a solid bullpen. Miller would be ideal, but Robertson would be fine too. We need a dominant, younger guy instead of older guys like the Benoits, Valverdes, and Nathans of the past few years. Here's what I want.

7th inning:Alburquerque
8th inning:Miller
9th inning:Soria

That leaves us with Nathan and Rondon as other RHP options. We would only need one more lefty in this scenario, and that would be Hardy. Miller wouldn't cost that much, considering he could be used as a closer after this year when Nathan and Soria are gone.

And Don Kelly still has a chance......to come back.... :/

Much depends on the money Dombrowski has to play with this winter.
I mean we all want FA Bonafacio to be that swing-guy next season. But finanacially-speaking, that's not going to happen.

We also need to add a lefty bat, not subtract one, especially now since Dirks is out of the 25-man picture. So who is cheap and can play six positions?..... maybe seven positions, if Victor departs and we need an emergency catcher for two innings?

Last edited:
Much depends on the money Dombrowski has to play with this winter.
I mean we all want FA Bonifacio to be that swing-guy next season. But financially-speaking, that's not going to happen.

We also need to add a lefty bat, not subtract one, especially now since Dirks is out of the 25-man picture. So who is cheap and can play six positions?..... maybe seven positions, if Victor departs and we need an emergency catcher for two innings?

I am not sure about the "we" part. I would despise having a sub caliber offensive and average defensive player on the team regardless of price.

Bonifacio Last 3 years = .252 BAVG .307 OBP .333 SLG .640 OPS

And those aren't park adjusted numbers.

Away = .239 BAVG .286 OBP .317 SLG .603 OPS

Bonifacio OF UZR/150 last 3 years = 0.7 UZR/150 (0.1 UZR/150 in CF)

Let's see. We already have Soria, Nathan, AA, and Rondon going into next year. We figure Soria is the 8th inning guy as of right now, with Nathan closing. I actually think one big reliever signing would give us a solid bullpen. Miller would be ideal, but Robertson would be fine too. We need a dominant, younger guy instead of older guys like the Benoits, Valverdes, and Nathans of the past few years. Here's what I want.

7th inning:Alburquerque
8th inning:Miller
9th inning:Soria

That leaves us with Nathan and Rondon as other RHP options. We would only need one more lefty in this scenario, and that would be Hardy. Miller wouldn't cost that much, considering he could be used as a closer after this year when Nathan and Soria are gone.

I don't think we can afford to sign one big reliever. We have 2 high price guys already in the back of the bullpen in Nathan and Soria, and we have too many holes in the position player ranks to spend money on a guy like Miller or Robertson considering our payroll is going to be pretty high as it is assuming we re-sign Vmart, and let Max and Torii go. I think the bullpen is going to be mostly in-house guys next year, with maybe a low end guy brought in as part of a package for position players.

I am not sure about the "we" part. I would despise having a sub caliber offensive and average defensive player on the team regardless of price.

He's awful..

Never said regardless of price. Never said full-time.
But I did say 'we', in regards to being an upgrade over Donnie overall.

I really don't care what your numbers say. My eyes, ears, heart, brain, common sense and 44 years of following the game closely, tell me otherwise.

Last edited:

I really don't care what your numbers say. My eyes, ears, heart, brain, common sense and 44 years of following the game closely, tell me otherwise.

You say you don't care what the numbers say then mention common sense.....

:cheers:

the god old eyeball test.

They aren't my numbers, they are Bonifacio's. But I guess after 44 years, you get a few things confused.

Back